Sponsored by:

Several Questions, Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 12:35 PM
riggers
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several Questions, Need Advice

Is there a thread somewhere on this board where someone has laid out what all maintenance is required and what items are best and how often? The only thing I know for sure is oil change every 7k miles. I am using Amsoil but some of you guys may have different opinions on that. Fuel filters? Air filters? Is there a water separator on the 7.3s? I know hubby drained water from the water separator on his 6 oh every oil change do I need to do that also? Where to get grease for ball joints and what tools needed etc....? Tranny oil? Do I need to change that every so often and what to use, how often? Any other maintenance items that I may not be aware of? etc..

Sway bar bushing are out on both sides.. Replace or is there a better part, like the Hellwig thingy ComputerCowboy got, is that the same part just an upgrade or does that go in a totally diff place? Cause ya'll keep saying that is a REAR sway bar so I'm wondering if it's an add on.

Best cold air intakes? My air filter according to the mechanic is one of the worst he's ever pulled out but after checking all four parts stores and the Ford house, it is not in stock in my town. Plus it's $118 and I'm wondering if it would be cheaper to just go cold air intake NOW while I need the filter and then not buying filters anymore. Cause if I'm not confused (and that could be the fact) the cold air intake does not require filters but something different and way cheaper than $118 every time. I live in the sand and they tell me I need to change this every 1 to 2 oil changes probably EVERY oil change because of what all I drive through daily to get home.

Lastly what is that part and where do I get it to replace the plug for oil changes. The one ya'll keep taking pics of but I don't know what it's called. Thanks boys, this is all this ladies questions for the day!

Old 03-23-2012, 06:33 PM
LWW
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not a fan of Amsoil. I run Shell Rotella T6 in my PSD. I've read posts about the dislike of Amsoil from other "online experts" so take it for what it's worth. The quote that comes to mind is "My friend who's a PSD mechanic loves customers who use Amsoil but he doesn't sell it." Basically he loves it because those who use it supposedly have more problems that require his services than other customers.

Here's the best equivalent of the 7.3L maintenance info you're asking for:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...-mods-etc.html

I haven't found an equivalent for the Excursion specifically but the 7.3L info applies to your driveline and the front suspension is all interchangeable with the F250/350:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...lder_____.html

Here's the Excursion Tech Thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ch-folder.html