1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone painted Ford or Husky mud flaps?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 09:11 PM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Has anyone painted the Ford mud flaps or the Husky mud flaps to match your truck or seen a truck with these painted? Ford offers these in the Arizona Beige for the King Ranch F150 but not the Superduty.

Old 03-10-2003, 07:17 AM
Thor616
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an 01 X Limited -- Estate Green over Arizona Beige. I looked for painted mudflaps and could not find anything. I went with factory Ford flaps that they say only come in black. ($35 a set) I took them to a friend of mine that paints and was told that because they were textured he would never get the paint to stick, even with the flex additive. I thought they would not look very good on the truck but they actually do. Since I have put them on I have seen 3 or 4 X's with the beige flaps on my travels. I drive just about everywhere east of the Mississippi so I get to see a lot of rides. Hopefully one of these days I can run into one of these guys when stopped and find out where they got the painted flaps. If I find out anything I will post.

01 V10 X Limited Estate Green..............

Old 03-10-2003, 07:43 AM
jamesg
Senior User

I have the Husky molded mud flaps. I painted them silver to match the silver two-tone on my 2003 F250SD. We painted them the same way you would paint the plastic bumpers on new cars. You might not be able to paint the Ford flaps, but the Husky flaps are made to be painted. We used Dupont two-part primer/sealer, Dupont Chromabase Silver basecoat, and Dupont Fast-Drying clear. We also added a bumper flex agent to the paint to insure it would not crack. So far, they've been on all winter through the salt and snow and crap, no dings or chips and no cracking.

Jimmie

2003 F250SD SB SC XLT 4X4

Old 03-10-2003, 02:15 PM
Rockwell
Senior User

JamesG,

Would love to see pictures of your painted flaps, if you ever create a gallery make sure to a take a few pics of those flaps.

Shamokin PA huh? I have a friend who lives there and never thought I would live long enough to meet another person from Shamokin!

Does the name Tommy Sands mean anything to ya

Old 03-10-2003, 09:13 PM
jamesg
Senior User

Yeah, I honestly do live in Shamokin, PA. I wouldn't make that up cause I'm not creative . I know who Tommy is. Being in the automotive business I know a lot of people. Problem is, most I know to see but don't know their names. I do a lot of business with Joe Sands at the body shop. As for my mudflaps, I took the code off the door for the silver, mixed up 1/2 pint of chromabase and shot 'em. I think the painted Husky's give the truck a "factory" look. I also bought 4 little raised or embossed Ford stickers and centered them on the flaps. I will post pics as soon as it gets warmer. Too cold. Anything under 32 is cold. Yes, I am a cold weather wuss. I just got a digital cam and can't wait to use it.

Jimmie

2003 F250SD SB SC XLT 4X4

Old 03-12-2003, 06:13 PM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I have seen an Excursion with the Ford mud flaps painted [stopped and talked to owner]. They looked good but had a little too much crinkle finish for me. Did the huskies you painted match the factory holes in the fender wells or did you have to drill for them. I have dual rear wheels and the holes on the rear ones appear to match but I am not sure about the fronts. I am suprised I don't see this done more often.

Old 03-12-2003, 09:30 PM
jamesg
Senior User

Tennessee,
To answer your question, yes the Husky's use the original mounting holes, and no they don't. The Husky's use the center hole and you have to drill the other two. You attach the mudflap with the center hole and use the other two holes in the mudflap as a template to drill the other two holes. The Husky's are a smooth finish. They do make them for a duallie. I spoke to a man with a black Lariat SD with the Ford flaps. He looked at mine and immediately ordered a set from me painted and all. I think they look pretty sharp. It's supposed to be nice here this weekend. I'll take pics and post them. Look for a new thread or a reply to this one on Sunday night. I want to post pics of my new graphics going on Friday.

Jimmie

2003 F250SD XLT 4X4 SC SB