Anyone else have problems getting to your spare tire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 08:09 PM
tayous1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else have problems getting to your spare tire?

So today I was going to switch tires on my truck (long story) So I was going to use the spare tire for the time being. So I go back and try to use the key to unlock that lock that blocks getting to my spare tire. Key fits in fine but the lock will not move sprayed some WD-40 all around it an nothing I can't get to my spare tire.

Anyone else have this problem or know a way to fix it with out having to go to the dealer? Thanks.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:27 PM
hodges710
Senior User
Originally Posted by tayous1
So today I was going to switch tires on my truck (long story) So I was going to use the spare tire for the time being. So I go back and try to use the key to unlock that lock that blocks getting to my spare tire. Key fits in fine but the lock will not move sprayed some WD-40 all around it an nothing I can't get to my spare tire.

Anyone else have this problem or know a way to fix it with out having to go to the dealer? Thanks.
You may get some help if you go to the proper section, this one is for the 4.6 and 5.4 engines.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:38 PM
tayous1
Freshman User
Originally Posted by hodges710
You may get some help if you go to the proper section, this one is for the 4.6 and 5.4 engines.
Thanks did not see that when I posted.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:12 AM
RustyTrustyF150
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
an answer in short YES . my 03 didnt have the key and ford garage will for a 40 dollar fee here any how remove the key'd fitting inside the tube so I can get it out . But that is only if the tire winch mechanism isnt stuck from mud sand or gravel .

Old 02-12-2011, 10:30 PM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
yeah those thing are great thought in the urban stetting and on paper...the reality is they get gunked up & when you really need to get at things, they don't work. Also like mentioned prior...then to get the security socket to match up and get the spare down and scroll back up is another act of frustration in itself. unless one exercises these things regularly it is frustrating task for sure.

My plan is, once weather co-operates, to weld a standard nut on the end of the spare tire winch and jack & a corresponding size socket on the handle ....so I can get a more sure footed drive. If I ever need to use it on the side of the road, it hope fully won't add to the misery of changing a flat.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:58 PM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by enriched&beyound
yeah those thing are great thought in the urban stetting and on paper...the reality is they get gunked up & when you really need to get at things, they don't work. Also like mentioned prior...then to get the security socket to match up and get the spare down and scroll back up is another act of frustration in itself. unless one exercises these things regularly it is frustrating task for sure.

My plan is, once weather co-operates, to weld a standard nut on the end of the spare tire winch and jack & a corresponding size socket on the handle ....so I can get a more sure footed drive. If I ever need to use it on the side of the road, it hope fully won't add to the misery of changing a flat.
Update;
through further research I found that the security socket can be deleted without any harm...without welding a nut on or attachment of any kind...presuming this is on 97-03'...maybe others vintages if they require a security socket attached to the drive rod/handle for the spare tire winch and jack. (mine is 02')

you'll have to get the spare tire down first...so you can see the spare tire winch....

then remove the plastic snorkel/funnel that guides the drive rod/handle to the spare tire winch, this just has a couple of molded clips, much like a electrical connection, pry up and twist and pull back and it should release & remove toward the rear.

At this point you should be able to see the drive end or the spare winch. test fit the drive rod/handle see how it all works...er' how it is suppose to anyway....get a vise grip firmly grip the very end on the spare tire winch( the last 1/2' er so)...now start wiggling to help loosen it up, up/down and side to side.....Now give a firm pry towards rear of the truck....you can get a pry bar & pry against/on the attached vice grip, using the spare tire sub-frame as leverage point....a short end should pop off, approx 3/4" long, this would be the mating "special security" drive end that requires the security socket....the 2 ends should match up with each other with the same pattern.

ONCE the short plug is removed.... now the end of the drive rod/handle will engage the spare tire winch deeper and with less hassle...thus actually moving the spare tire up and down hopefully without adding frustration if you're on the side of the road and NEED to change the flat.

I found the female portions of the security drive half full of grim and dust, packed in there pretty tight. I did clean this out and noticed that the 2 ends engaged much better....so if you like this "security feature"...you can clean it up and reinstall this female drive end/plug back into the spare tire winch.

with the cable reeled out now is a good time to re-lube the cable and any other areas

reinstall the plastic snorkel/funnel....place the spare tire under the truck and lace the center bracket & cable into the spare and reinstall the spare tire to its storage area. Hope this helps before you actually need it.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:12 AM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
i've gone through 2 or is 3 winches...lousy design.