Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-30-2011, 04:30 PM
Senior User

BigHazard has a very good reputation on FTE.BigHazard has a very good reputation on FTE.BigHazard has a very good reputation on FTE.
no power to 4X4 switch

Digging through the forums and havent found this one yet. I have a 2002 F250 that has been through considerable mods. I went out yesterday and put it in 4x4 and it wont work.
  • No light at the switch
  • hubs enguaged and the drive line locks up and cannot spin
  • fuses are good (unable to locate relays so far)
any help woudl be great.. thanks
the only code I get is P0603 loss of Keep Alive Memory (KAM)
If it doesnít take gas or wear makeup I donít want to play with it
Old 01-30-2011, 05:24 PM
4000 rounds a min

Deluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to behold
Here's your 4WD Circuit. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 4WD Circuit.pdf (62.2 KB, 973 views)
Richard PAA#119 00F350CCDually;7.3L;ZF6,4"MBRP;DIY5"Tailpipe;Modde d Turbo 1.0 exhaust with Ported Shourd;EBPV as exhaust brake;Custom Air Intake with 6637;T500 HPOP;DPTuner-Stock,60e,80e,60t,80t,120r; 6.0 Intercooler;SBC;FRx;HRx;OCR;Bellowed Up Pipes;GlowShift Guages,Boost,EGT;AE, B.E.S.T map
Old 01-30-2011, 05:26 PM

Ford79 is a splendid one to beholdFord79 is a splendid one to beholdFord79 is a splendid one to beholdFord79 is a splendid one to beholdFord79 is a splendid one to beholdFord79 is a splendid one to beholdFord79 is a splendid one to behold
It might be a long shot, but check the electrical plug in on the transfer case. Make sure it is all the way in, or you won't have 4wd.

Roadside Help Network
Old 01-31-2011, 08:00 AM
Senior User

BigHazard has a very good reputation on FTE.BigHazard has a very good reputation on FTE.BigHazard has a very good reputation on FTE.
Thanks guys, I will try to get under it tonight and see what I can find out. I really appreciate it.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:34 AM
Elder User

itsjustdan26 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.itsjustdan26 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Mine wont lock in with the flick of the switch either. It will lock in if I turn the hubs, but no light comes on when I select it. It works for now.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:03 AM
Support FTE

PaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputation
Here's where the ESOF relays are on model year 99.

Click the image to open in full size.

When I had trouble shifting to low range I removed the ESOF relays to bench test them (they tested ok) but also cleaned the spade terminals and when I replaced them the X-fer case was shifting just fine. If you bench test them make sure you have continuity from terminal 87a to terminal 30 through the break contact when relay is non-operarted.

Click the image to open in full size.

Some general info I have saved:

Principles of Operation — Electronic Shift on the Fly (ESOF) Transfer Case

The four-wheel drive electronic shift on the fly feature electrically shifts the vehicle transfer case between 2WD, 4X4 HIGH, and 4X4 LOW. The system mode is selected by the operator through a three-position rotary switch on the instrument panel. The operator is informed which mode the system is in by two cluster indicator lamps, one for 4WD HIGH, and one for 4WD LOW (in 4WD LOW, both the lamps are on). Shifts into 4X4 HIGH can be made at any speed. When shifting into or out of LOW range, the generic electronic module (GEM) requires that the vehicle speed be less than 5 km/h (3 mph), the brake applied, and the transmission in NEUTRAL (A/T) or the clutch pedal be depressed (M/T). (The digital transmission range (TR) sensor informs the GEM when the transmission is in the NEUTRAL range position.)The electronic shift motor is mounted externally on the transfer case. It drives a rotary cam which moves the mode fork and the range fork within the transfer case between the 4X4 HIGH, 4X4 LOW, and 2WD range positions.

The 4X4 shift motor uses two relays which, under control of the GEM, shift the transfer case shift motor between 4X4 HIGH, 4X4 LOW, and 2WD modes.

The GEM accomplishes shifts system modes by interpreting inputs from:

4X4 selector switch.
Vehicle speed signal (transmitted from the ABS system).
Transfer case.
Brake switch.
Digital transmission range (TR) sensor (automatic transmission).
Clutch pedal position switch (manual transmission).
Ignition switch.

Based on these inputs, the GEM controls the shifts into 2WD, 4X4 HIGH, or 4X4 LOW with the following outputs:
Low to high relay.
High to low relay.
Vacuum hub lock solenoid.
Transfer case shift motor.

The ESOF system has a feature which allows the driver to override the vacuum operated hubs. When the front hubs are manually turned to the LOCK position, the hubs are locked at all times, overriding the vacuum operated system. If the front hubs are manually turned to the AUTO FREE position, the hubs can only be locked by turning the 4WD mode switch to one of the 4WD positions.

If the front hubs are unable to be unlocked by use of the 4WD mode switch, the hubs may be unlocked by turning the manual locking hub from the AUTO FREE position to the LOCK position and back to AUTO FREE.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:23 AM
Senior User

Relays

I found 3 relays right beside my cruise control. 2 that look like that and one that was with 2 smaller ones. I also hear that an 02 has 2 more behind the glove box but I cant locate them,

Thanks for the help. I will try and bench test them tonight
Old 01-31-2011, 05:45 PM
Senior User

No power to the actuator on the bottom of the t-case. the three FOAB-14B192-AA relays I found near the firewall on the drivers side check at .3 or below with my ohm meter between terminal 87a to terminal 30 on the bench. I have power and ground with the lights on at the actual switch. I was told at some point that there are 2 more relays behind the glove box, anyone else with an 02 know where these are?
Old 01-31-2011, 05:45 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2001, 2005, 4x4, 4x4 switch, drive, f150, f350, foab14b192aa, ford, no 4 wheel drive, no 4x4, selector, switch, testing, wheel