1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Replaced ignition cylinder this morning

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 12:54 PM
lamar804
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced ignition cylinder this morning

Okay, this morning I went to go start the truck ('86 F350/460), stuck the key in....and nothing! All of my lights work, the key buzzer, horn, etc.
So, I got a ride to pep boys, bought a ignition lock cylinder, replaced the old one, and still nothing. Then I jumped the solenoid on the fender, and the engine turns over.!!!
I've only had this truck for almost a week, so I don't know to much about it yet, but I really would like to drive it soon. What could the problem be???
Thanks guys

Old 01-28-2011, 01:00 PM
smashclash
Elder User
sounds to me like you found the problem already.... the solenoid.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:13 PM
lamar804
Senior User
THANKS!!!!! I had a feeling it was something simple, but I'm still learning about these trucks. Headed back to pep boys!

Old 01-28-2011, 01:16 PM
f100jim
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just FYI - the ignition lock cylinder is completely separate from the ignition switch. The lock cylinder is just the mechanical actuator to operate the switch. The actual ignition switch is located on the side of the steering column down near the pedal assembly.

Ignition switches can and do go bad, but it is far more likely to be the solenoid or something else "down stream" from the ignition switch.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:26 PM
lamar804
Senior User
Originally Posted by f100jim
Just FYI - the ignition lock cylinder is completely separate from the ignition switch. The lock cylinder is just the mechanical actuator to operate the switch. The actual ignition switch is located on the side of the steering column down near the pedal assembly.

Ignition switches can and do go bad, but it is far more likely to be the solenoid or something else "down stream" from the ignition switch.
Thanks f100jim- I found that out this morning when I went to buy the lock cylinder and I asked for a ignition switch, LOL!
I think I'm gonna buy the solenoid and the switch, just to be safe. It can't hurt.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:30 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How did you jump the solenoid? POwer to the small terminal? If so and it cranks that means the solenoid is good. With the key on if you jump the solenoid it shoild start and run. WHen you say you had nothing when you turn the key do you mean no radio and other things that only work with the ignition on or would it just not crank?

Old 01-28-2011, 01:41 PM
lamar804
Senior User
Originally Posted by bashby
How did you jump the solenoid? POwer to the small terminal? If so and it cranks that means the solenoid is good. With the key on if you jump the solenoid it shoild start and run. WHen you say you had nothing when you turn the key do you mean no radio and other things that only work with the ignition on or would it just not crank?
Thanks.
With the key in the on position I touch the 2 terminals with a piece of pipe.
What I mean by nothing happened, the engine didn't turn over and no clicking noise. All of the electrical stuff in the cab worked.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:52 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
I'm going to assume you jumped the 2 big terminals.It is possible you arent getting power from the ign switch to the small terminal at the solenoid. Pull the small wire off the terminal and jump from the front big terminal (the one that goes to bat+) to the small terminal. If it cranks you must not be gettiong power from the switch. This does not mean for sure the switch is bad, it could also be a nuetral safetey switch (AT) or a clutch start switch (MT) as well as a number of other things.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:09 PM
smashclash
Elder User
I'm going to assume you jumped the 2 big terminals.It is possible you arent getting power from the ign switch to the small terminal at the solenoid. Pull the small wire off the terminal and jump from the front big terminal (the one that goes to bat+) to the small terminal. If it cranks you must not be gettiong power from the switch. This does not mean for sure the switch is bad, it could also be a nuetral safetey switch (AT) or a clutch start switch (MT) as well as a number of other things.
i love it when they're happy ending like this.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:14 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by smashclash
i love it when they're happy ending like this.
I added that last sentence so the op wouldnt run out and buy an ignition switch and go through the hastle of putting it on and it being something else, I'm not mich on throwing parts at a problem until it goes away.
To the OP, when you had the key on and jumped the solenoid, did the truck start and run?

Old 01-28-2011, 02:22 PM
lamar804
Senior User
To the OP, when you had the key on and jumped the solenoid, did the truck start and run?
Yes it started. So, is it the solenoid?

Old 01-28-2011, 02:24 PM
smashclash
Elder User
Lightbulb

I added that last sentence so the op wouldnt run out and buy an ignition switch and go through the hastle of putting it on and it being something else, I'm not mich on throwing parts at a problem until it goes away.
I know, I wasn't knocking you. That disclosure is always necessary.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:39 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by smashclash
I know, I wasn't knocking you. That disclosure is always necessary.
Didnt think you were, I should start using emoticons so its easier to tell if I'm being sarcastic or I'm PO'ed ..or if Im just moody
Ok back to the matter at hand, it started but you never said for sure if you jumped power to the small terminal like I said or if you jumped across the 2 big terminals.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:43 PM
lamar804
Senior User
Ok back to the matter at hand, it started but you never said for sure if you jumped power to the small terminal like I said or if you jumped across the 2 big terminals.
Oh sorry about that. It start when I jumped it with the small terminal.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:07 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by lamar804
Oh sorry about that. It start when I jumped it with the small terminal.
OK, that means that the solenoid is working properly, you must not be getting power to it from the switch, what trans do you have? if AT thenhold it in start while you move the shifter around. Try nuetral also. MT try letting out on the clutch and pushing it back in a few times while holding it in crank.(put it in nuetral) If no results there reach up under the dash on top of the steering column and see if yuo can feel a rod that moves when you turn the key. while holding it in start try to force the rod to go a little further. If none of these tell you anything it's time to get a test light or voltmeter out.

Quick Reply: Replaced ignition cylinder this morning