Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still no good S/C's or Turbo kits for v10?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Thatt1guyy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Still no good S/C's or Turbo kits for v10?

Hello All,

I recently found this site looking for performance mods for my 2000 excursion. It is very slow going as I know next to nothing about automotive mechanics and everything I have done to my truck is done for me...I just take it in tell em what I want and they do it for me.

I am wanting to add a S/C or preferably a turbo to my truck but cannot find any complete kits for either option. I saw the godspeed one on ebay but then read on here that it sucks. Then I saw the STS remote mounted turbo's but also read on here that they suck on SUV's and big trucks because they are mounted so far back that the exhaust has already cooled and it creates severe turbo lag (I hope I understood that correctly).

Also many on here have stated that both kits are far from being "complete". I want something I can buy, take to a shop and have it installed, and then drive off.

All the turbo charged and supercharged excursion threads that I can find are old, like 08' and older. I was just wondering what might have popped up on the market since then.

Right now my current setup is the 2000 6.8l v10 with a 6" lift on 35" toyo open country MT's. It also has new gear ratio, 4:30 I believe. For exhaust it has a single in dual out flowmaster super 10 dumped out each side right in front of the rear wheels. I believe the previos owner has some sort of performance chip in there as well but I know nothing of it. I also have 10k HID kit for headlights, so I drive around turning the world blue....

First off I know from browsing through here for the last 3-4 days that many members will not approve of the flowmaster super 10 on a "fully auto daily driver" but I was tired of deisels pulling up next to me and drowning me out....it doesnt happen anymore!!

I know also many will dissaprove of adding a S/C or turbo to my excursion with the biggest question being simply "why?"

Honestly just the look on the drivers face when I give a 69 charger RT (for example) a run for its money in my 9k lb truck is worth every cent the turbo costs.

Thank you for taking the time out to read my lengthy post, I hope the added information and explanation of where I'm coming from will help to provide the answers I'm looking for.

EDIT: Is this in the right place or should it be in the S/C turbo section or the 6.8l Modular V10 section?

Last edited by Thatt1guyy; 01-30-2011 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Not sure if posted in right place
Old 01-30-2011, 03:49 PM
AltaEx
Senior User
I too have spent a lot of time searching for the same thing as you for my tow vehicle ('02 V10 Excursion).

Also, all I could come up with was the STS turbo. I may still consider it. A bad sign though is the lack of a reply to an e-mail I sent to the company about concerns over too much boost.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:45 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Where are you located?

Stewart

Old 01-30-2011, 06:02 PM
Thatt1guyy
New User
Redding, far Northern California. How do I change my location?

Old 01-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Thatt1guyy
Redding, far Northern California. How do I change my location?
You change it through your User Control panel.

After you access the panel, on the left side, the first link "Edit Your Details" will get you to the correct page. Scroll down about halfway and you'll see a location box where you can type in your location.

I go up to Redding every year for the NHRDA Division 2 points race.

I asked for you location because if you were lucky, and you lived near Houston, you could go to PSI Motorsports and see what they could fab up for you.

PSI does outstanding work fabbing up turbo's for the Gen 2 Lightnings and power adders for the SRT's.

If I had a V10 and needed to trust a shop to do the work instead of myself, it would be PSI.

Stewart

Old 01-30-2011, 09:59 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
There used to be a KB kit, but it's been discontinued The only one I''m aware of still available is the Paxton Novi 2000:
1998-2001 V10 Truck and SUV Supercharger System | Paxton Superchargers

Old 01-31-2011, 02:47 PM
Thatt1guyy
New User
Originally Posted by Fosters
There used to be a KB kit, but it's been discontinued The only one I''m aware of still available is the Paxton Novi 2000:
How "complete" is that setup?

"Complete" enough to take it to a mechanic and have him put it on without him telling me I need to buy something else for it to work?

It looks okay but I really was leaning the turbo route. I wish I would have been a member when that guy had a for sale thread o his custom turbo about two years ago.Thing went on for about 15 pages and he still couldnt sell it whole, had to part it out.

A guy who races drag cycles asked me today why don't I just install some NOS if I'm only going to be using it for the occasional boost off a red light to mess with a vette or whatever. He said it would get me the same effect (being able to take off like a bat out of hell once in awhile) but would be much cheaper.

I thought NOS was horrible on you engine, he said not if your only doing it once in awhile and using small shots. I would probably use it once or twice a month.... what are you guys' thoughts on the matter?

Old 01-31-2011, 03:23 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Thatt1guyy
How "complete" is that setup?

"Complete" enough to take it to a mechanic and have him put it on without him telling me I need to buy something else for it to work?

It looks okay but I really was leaning the turbo route. I wish I would have been a member when that guy had a for sale thread o his custom turbo about two years ago.Thing went on for about 15 pages and he still couldnt sell it whole, had to part it out.

A guy who races drag cycles asked me today why don't I just install some NOS if I'm only going to be using it for the occasional boost off a red light to mess with a vette or whatever. He said it would get me the same effect (being able to take off like a bat out of hell once in awhile) but would be much cheaper.

I thought NOS was horrible on you engine, he said not if your only doing it once in awhile and using small shots. I would probably use it once or twice a month.... what are you guys' thoughts on the matter?
There's no safe forced induction setup the same way one forced induction method is no worse than others. Each (turbo/blower/nitrous) have their pluses and minuses. I've seen people put hundreds of bottles through an engine and be just fine, and I've seen people blow up on the dyno the first time they spray it.

Nitrous's main advantages are that it's not always on, putting a drag on your engine, not killing mileage, when you don't need the power, and best of all, it has it's own cooling. Then there's the ease and low cost of installation as opposed to the others. The downsides, you run out of the bottle, and it's more of a pay as you go deal. If you end up being one of the people who goes through hundreds of bottles, you will come to a point where you say "dammit, I should've gotten a blower/turbo".

One of the problems with nitrous, and why it gets its bad reputation, is that the flow of the nozzles is constant throughout the RPM range you spray it at (the basic kits that is, not talking two stage or other stuff). Meaning if you try and add a 200 shot off idle, it will spray 200hp worth of air into your engine at 650 rpm. That's when stuff starts blowing up usually, when people spray the nitrous too early, and more nitrous than the engine can flow at that RPM. There are some items to make it pretty much idiot proof though. The fast and the furious button mounted on the steering wheel style is by far what gets people in trouble the most. Most kits nowadays come with wide open throttle switches, and most people who want to play it safe add a few other switches - fuel pressure safety switch and digital window rpm switch come to mind. First one only opens the solenoids when you have the gas pedal mashed fully, so that it won't come on at part throttle. Second, only turns on the nitrous if there is enough fuel pressure on the rail; not gonna turn it on if it's gonna run lean. Last one keeps the nitrous on for only a period of time between the RPMs you set the window at.

The disadvantage with our particular engines is that they're not exactly known for their high rpm performance, so if you're gonna spray from 4000 to 5000 rpm, you're not gonna be going anywhere fast... personally, below 3500-4000, you're taking chances with your engine.

Most of my experience with Nitrous comes from 4.6 dohc motors though, so starting it at 4k+ rpm and running through ~6500 gives me enough of a window at the track to basically run on nitrous the whole time.

Honestly, I wouldn't go with forced induction on these trucks. They're just too big and heavy to go fast; yes, the diesels do ok, but at what cost? You're better off buying something smaller and faster to go fast with. You're much better off IMO with some nasty gears some exhaust work, and a tune.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:39 PM
Thatt1guyy
New User
Very good points, I don't want to create any unnecassary problems for my motor by messing with it in ways that I know nothing about. I am far from poor but I am aslo not independantly wealthy and would probably shed real tears if I destroyed my engine messing with it.

It can already give most vehicles a run for their money off the red lights the way I have it set up now. That money could easily go towards dual stabilizers and some Fox suspension....maybe another 2-4" of lift.

My exhaust is FM super 10, I think my gear ratio is 4:30, should change the gear ratio again or should I just be looking for a new performance chip instead?

Thanks for helping me see things more clearly. I'm going to ditch the idea of the Turbo/SC/NOS.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:18 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Since you've moved 3" higher than stock as far as tire size, re-gearing at least to get you to the original ratio would definitely help.

Here's a gear calculator that'll sort things out:

4Lo.com :: Tire Size Change, New Gear Ratio Calculator

Putting in 35, 32, and 4.30 you have effectively reduced your gear ratio to 3.93. To get back up to stock 4.30 ratio, you'd have to swap gears to 4.7 ratio. There is no such thing, your options are 4.56, 4.88 and 5.13. I'd use this one to figure out what RPM you'd feel comfortable with on the freeway, and pick your flavor out of 4.88 and 5.13:

4Lo.com :: Final Gear Ratio, Crawl Ratio, Tire Size Calculators

If you plan on going even bigger tires, I'd suggest 5.13. I'm guessing you don't care much about mileage at this point

To answer your other question about the paxton novi kit, it's as complete as you want to look at it. Yes, it could be put on by a shop, but judging from the picture, it's missing one vital component - an intercooler. It would be worth giving them a call and seeing if they offer any kind of intercooler option for it.

The advantages to a kit like that, is that compared to a turbo kit, it is pretty simple to install and tune. The disadvantage, like a turbo kit, it will have heat issues, and, being a centrifugal supercharger, like a turbo/nitrous kit, it will make very little power down low, where you probably want most of your power if you want to take off from a light.

The best solution for our engines IMO would be a positive displacement supercharger, which would make power all across the rev range. Unfortunately, both Kenne Bell and Whipple discontinued their V10 applications...

The v10 forum has quite a few threads on exhaust and gains from a tune... it would be possible to wake up that motor if you don't have a tune right now; and as a bonus, recalibrate the speedometer to the new tires, if it hasn't been done at a dealer or something along the lines... Between exhaust/tune/gears, it may be what you're looking for. Anything else, you're probably better off getting a dizzle and going nuts with it.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:22 PM
SHO rescue 79
Freshman User
My friends boss has the paxton truck. It's the black and orange one from there page v10 supercharged.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:49 PM
jayz66ragtop
Junior User
There's no safe forced induction setup the same way one forced induction method is no worse than others. Each (turbo/blower/nitrous) have their pluses and minuses. I've seen people put hundreds of bottles through an engine and be just fine, and I've seen people blow up on the dyno the first time they spray it.

Honestly, I wouldn't go with forced induction on these trucks. They're just too big and heavy to go fast; yes, the diesels do ok, but at what cost? You're better off buying something smaller and faster to go fast with. You're much better off IMO with some nasty gears some exhaust work, and a tune.

To answer your other question about the paxton novi kit, it's as complete as you want to look at it. Yes, it could be put on by a shop, but judging from the picture, it's missing one vital component - an intercooler. It would be worth giving them a call and seeing if they offer any kind of intercooler option for it.
I'll agree with the sentiment that there are issues with any kind of forced induction/NOS but that is where someone who has lots of experience tuning these systems comes into play. I've had this system on my 2000 excursion for over 40,000 miles of mixed street driving and towing with no issues (I do have the one with an intercooler):

1999-2003 Ford F-250, F-350, Super Duty, Excursion Supercharging Systems | Vortech Superchargers

I put about 20,000 miles on the kit as it came out of the box before supplementing it in any way. It worked perfectly fine but the shop that installed/tuned it said I should put bigger injecters because I was concerned with maxing them out. So it can be ran as is out of the box.

Too heavy to go fast? If you keep everything else stock I would agree with this but I upgraded the rotor and pads as well. It's a BLAST to drive, doesn't get much worse mileage if you are easy on it, and tows like nothing else I've used to tow with.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:24 PM
Xv10
Senior User
Since you've moved 3" higher than stock as far as tire size, re-gearing at least to get you to the original ratio would definitely help.

Here's a gear calculator that'll sort things out:

4Lo.com :: Tire Size Change, New Gear Ratio Calculator

Putting in 35, 32, and 4.30 you have effectively reduced your gear ratio to 3.93. To get back up to stock 4.30 ratio, you'd have to swap gears to 4.7 ratio. There is no such thing, your options are 4.56, 4.88 and 5.13. I'd use this one to figure out what RPM you'd feel comfortable with on the freeway, and pick your flavor out of 4.88 and 5.13:

4Lo.com :: Final Gear Ratio, Crawl Ratio, Tire Size Calculators

If you plan on going even bigger tires, I'd suggest 5.13. I'm guessing you don't care much about mileage at this point

The advantages to a kit like that, is that compared to a turbo kit, it is pretty simple to install and tune. The disadvantage, like a turbo kit, it will have heat issues, and, being a centrifugal supercharger, like a turbo/nitrous kit, it will make very little power down low, where you probably want most of your power if you want to take off from a light.

The best solution for our engines IMO would be a positive displacement supercharger, which would make power all across the rev range. Unfortunately, both Kenne Bell and Whipple discontinued their V10 applications...

The v10 forum has quite a few threads on exhaust and gains from a tune... it would be possible to wake up that motor if you don't have a tune right now; and as a bonus, recalibrate the speedometer to the new tires, if it hasn't been done at a dealer or something along the lines... Between exhaust/tune/gears, it may be what you're looking for. Anything else, you're probably better off getting a dizzle and going nuts with it.
Fosters, may I ask you the following question: I have a 2004 Ex V10 4x4 V10 with a Bank's PowerPack, 4" ProComp suspension lift, 35x12.5x20 Tires and 4.56 gears. When my speedometer indicates 60 mph, how many mph am I actually driving? Thanks a lot!!!!

Old 04-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Xv10
Fosters, may I ask you the following question: I have a 2004 Ex V10 4x4 V10 with a Bank's PowerPack, 4" ProComp suspension lift, 35x12.5x20 Tires and 4.56 gears. When my speedometer indicates 60 mph, how many mph am I actually driving? Thanks a lot!!!!
Why would you ask Fosters that? Just click on the link and find your answer yourself.

Stewart

Old 04-28-2012, 10:56 PM
LWW
Elder User
Originally Posted by Xv10
The lift will have no effect on your speedometer readings but the 35"s and the 4.56 gears will. The 35"s will make your speedo 10.67% too slow but the 4.56 gears make up for it quite a bit.

Do you have a GPS? If so, most of them have a "speedometer" function that you can use to verify your speedo.

Quick Reply: Still no good S/C's or Turbo kits for v10?