Oil leak in 5.4 engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 05:44 PM
moedaddy
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leak in 5.4 engine

I just took my 99 F150 to the dealership for an engine oil leak. I could smell burning oil whenever getting out of my truck, and I noticed drips all over my driveway and seen oil on top of the passanger side head.
I got under the truck one day to see where it was coming from. Oil was all over the tranny bellhousing and coming from off the h-pipe on the passenger side. It was not a leaky valve cover, so I took it in.
I got it back after two week's, they shaved down the heads.They told me that they havn't heard of this before but somehow I don't believe them.Has anyone had this happen to them.Thanks.

MOEDADDY

Old 03-10-2003, 11:55 AM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Oil leak in 5.4 engine

There was a recall and a TSB # 2-22-7 for your problem .yes it has been a common problem .
How many miles on the vehicle?
This was a national awareness issue ,your dealer never heard of it .sounds fishy to me

Is it fixed or still leaking because some engines were replaced because of continued problems with oil leaking.

Rich

Old 03-10-2003, 07:27 PM
moedaddy
Mountain Pass
Oil leak in 5.4 engine

I got it fixed last week,it was in the shop for two week's,they shaved the heads.I was not sure if there was a service bullitin thats why I am here.I read some guys got a new engine,I will have to settle for this right now.I took the extended warranty out and have a year left on it.Suppose this happens after the year is up,am I screwed.Thanks for the help,Can you tell me were I can find that service bullitin.
'MOEDADDY'

P.S.... IT has 54,391 miles on engine.

Last edited by moedaddy; 03-10-2003 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:17 AM
MikeJ2003
New User
Oil leak in 5.4 engine

This sounds like the problem I am having. When I get out of my truck I can smell burnt oil and I do have a slight oil leak but I haven't investigated enough to determine where it is coming from. I tried to look for the TSB that Rich refered to but I couldn't find any info. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I would like to have as much info possible on the problem before I go to the dealer so I am sure that this will be on their bill and not mine.

Mike

Old 03-30-2003, 10:01 PM
moedaddy
Mountain Pass
Oil leak in 5.4 engine

Start here and then come back and let us no what you think of your Ford 5.4 or 4.6 engine.
Me,they cut both head and put some kind of new aluminum head gasket.Good Luck

PS. > > > > Copy & print some of those thread's and bring them to your Ford dealer.It work's.

Old 02-12-2004, 08:49 PM
raiderdad14
New User
I have the exact same problem with my 5.4 discovered it at 65,000 miles. I went to NHTSB and looked for the TSB mentioned but could not find it. If this is a recall I was never informed. Truck is off warranty will Ford fix it??

Thanks

Old 02-13-2004, 09:32 PM
parkerv10
New User
I would love to know if there is a recall, my99 van leaks, not much but it still smells and if its a manufacturing defect then they should fix it. email me at joshsilvia@msn with any recall info. Thanks

Old 02-16-2004, 11:30 AM
moedaddy
Mountain Pass
I had the Cylinder Head Surface Checked on my 99 f150 and both heads had to be shaved.The passanger side is were I first seen oil spots under my truck,make sure they pull both heads even if oil is only on one side.My truck had 14,000 miles on it,ford knows they have a problem with some of there 5.4 engines,getting them to do something is up to you and how far you want to take it.
What I did is what you are diong right now,get as much information off the web and bring them proof
JOE
http://edmunds.nytimes.com/maintenan...p2.9.Ford*#241

.http://www.alldata.com/TSB/9920_mo.html

Old 12-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Billjr
New User
Oil Leak 5.4

Just joined the forum a few days ago trying to track down information regarding the oil leak also.

I was originally concentrating on the rear upper passenger side of the motor. Oil was dripping from the bottom of the starter on to the exhaust pipe just like everyone else mentioned.

The other day when climbing a steep driveway the smoke poured out from under the body. Today I took a look at the valley of the block under the intake manifold - found a pool of fresh oil sitting in the valley. Looks like it may be coming from the front of the driver side head, but hard to tell. Everything is so packed, it's hard to see.

Does anyone know if this could be the same problem with the head gasket or is there another oil source hidden under the intake manifold that I cannot see?

Also, is there a website that would show a clear view of the top-end minus the intake manifold. My Auto-Zone service book does not show any top-end views. Driving me crazy now wondering what it looks like.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:32 PM
benshere
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a truck, but my wifes 03 Gran Marq (4.6) started leaking oil and it appears to be somewhere aroung the oil filter adapter that bolts to the block at the front of the drivers side. The oil pressure sending unit seems to be mounted on that adapter as well. Thought it was a pan leak, but all bolts are tight and no seepage around there.

I havent seen what the deck of the modulars look like, but have a scarey thought about it. I have looked at the supercoupe 3.8 decks and they are terrible OEM. It looks like they used a chain saw to deck the blocks from the factory. I wonder if the 4.6 has essentially the same problems. Aluminum heads on a cast block, torque to yield head bolts and a very poor surface on the deck. All thats missing is the extra pressure from a blower. I am curious to hear what anyone who has torn down a 4.6 says about the deck.

Now, all I have to do is figure out the leak on the wifes car and also wonder it the 5.4 in my 07 expy was also decked the same way from the factory. I need to surf to find an engine diagram also.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:52 PM
c_rossman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just did our 99 expy. This is atleast the third time it has been done with 130,000 miles on it. I used the Felpro multilayer steel headgasket. $40 for gasket, $36 for head bolts and $35 for intake gasket set. I only did the passenger side and reused the valve cover and front cover gaskets. I am cheap. I pulled the engine out, but I guess you can do it in the truck. I look at it if I have to stick $120 in it every three years thats not too big of a deal, it takes all weekend though

Old 01-01-2010, 03:15 PM
benshere
Posting Guru
I am really curious why you only did one side, since the engine was out. I know its only money . What did the deck of the block look like, was it a smooth finish or was it kinda roung with a look of some slight grooving? On the supercoupe sites, they reccomend a finer RMS finish on the deck because the head will move slightly because of the dissimilar metals. And ARP head bolts/studs are recommended over the torque to yield OEM bolts.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:27 PM
c_rossman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will do the both sides next time, and new gaskets all around. say 40,000 miles! The surface wasnt the greatest. The last time someone used a composit gasket with metal center that left little impressions in the head. I cleaned it up as best I could and used some copper spray gasket on both sides. Keeping my fingers crossed. I do have a nice 351w and C6 that I could toss in there!

Old 01-08-2010, 09:50 PM
fordtech08
Posting Guru
you wouldn't keep replacing gaskets if you go get ford head gasket it has been redesigned to go around the spot on the head that mis machined

Old 01-25-2010, 01:32 PM
mainjet
New User
Hey guys, new member. I decided I just start out with a stupid question.

I am having the same problem with my head gaskets (2003 ford F150 Supercrew lariat 5.4). I have the parts to do the head gaskets but I was wondering if you all suggest using a gasket sealere on the new head gaskets? Way back when I did my last ones on another car I used the copper spray. But the book does not say to use anything. So when you do them do you suggest using it? Same thing would apply for the intake manifold to the head?

My truck is leaking the same way. Passenger side back. Looks like it's coming from the head/block gasket area but seems to be coming around to the side of the engine from the back. I have checked the valve cover gasket and it seems good. It's all over the starter and bellhousing. I think that I will remove the starter so I can see up behind the engine to get a real idea of where it is originating before I tear the top of the engine off.

Quick Reply: Oil leak in 5.4 engine