Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

IG pump leaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 11:25 AM
4drf350
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IG pump leaking

Hi everyone : I have have been smelling diesel fuel coming from under my hood for a while an I could not find the leak , well I found it an gess what it is coming from under my IG pump it is more of a seep but I am getting worse fuel miles now then I was be for . My question is how hard is it to take the pump off an what do I have to be to do that , do I have to line up anything in my motor . thanks for the help I love coming to the sit. Rick

Old 01-28-2011, 11:33 AM
91dirtydiesel
Postmaster
here is how to remove ip

Removal & Installation

<table class="image" align="center" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td align="center"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="img_captionRow"> Throttle linkage-7.3L diesel engine
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="img_enlargelinkRow" align="center"> Click to Enlarge </td> </tr> </tbody></table><table class="image" align="center" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td align="center"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="img_captionRow"> Diesel engine oil filter neck removal
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="img_enlargelinkRow" align="center"> Click to Enlarge </td> </tr> </tbody></table><table class="image" align="center" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td align="center"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="img_captionRow"> Diesel injection pump drive gear attaching bolts
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="img_enlargelinkRow" align="center"> Click to Enlarge </td> </tr> </tbody></table><table class="image" align="center" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td align="center"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="img_captionRow"> Diesel fast idle solenoid bracket
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="img_enlargelinkRow" align="center"> Click to Enlarge </td> </tr> </tbody></table><table class="image" align="center" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td align="center"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="img_captionRow"> Removing the diesel fuel return line
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="img_enlargelinkRow" align="center"> Click to Enlarge </td> </tr> </tbody></table><table class="image" align="center" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td align="center"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="img_captionRow"> Removing the diesel injection pump
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="img_enlargelinkRow" align="center"> Click to Enlarge </td> </tr> </tbody></table><table class="image" align="center" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td align="center"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="img_captionRow"> Be sure to fit the alignment dowel on the pump into the hole in the drive gear
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="img_enlargelinkRow" align="center"> Click to Enlarge </td> </tr> </tbody></table><table class="image" align="center" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td align="center"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="img_captionRow"> Diesel injection pump static timing marks
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="img_enlargelinkRow" align="center"> Click to Enlarge </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
  1. Remove the engine oil filler neck.
  2. Remove the bolts attaching injection pump to drive gear.

<table class="notetable" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="noteclass_warning"> WARNING </td> </tr> <tr> <td> Before removing the fuel lines, clean the exterior with clean fuel oil or solvent to prevent entry of dirt into the engine when the fuel lines are removed. Also, do not wash or steam clean engine while engine is running. Serious damage to injection pump could occur.
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
  1. Disconnect battery ground cables from both batteries.
  2. Disengage the electrical connectors to the injection pump.
  3. Remove the fast idle solenoid bracket assembly to provide access to the injection pump mounting nuts.
  4. Disconnect the accelerator cable and speed control cable from throttle lever, if so equipped.
  5. Remove the air cleaner and install clean rags to prevent dirt from entering the intake manifold.
  6. Remove the accelerator cable bracket, with cables attached, from the intake manifold and position out of the way.
All fuel lines and fittings must be capped using Fuel System Protective Cap Set T83T-9395-A or equivalent, to prevent fuel contamination.
  1. Remove the fuel filter-to-injection pump fuel line and cap the fittings.
  2. Remove and cap the injection pump inlet elbow and the injection pump fitting adapter.
  3. Remove the fuel return line on the injection pump, then rotate out of the way, and cap all fittings.
It is not necessary to remove injection lines from the injection pump. If lines are to be removed, loosen the injection line fittings at the injection pump before removing it from engine.
  1. Remove the fuel injection lines from the nozzles, and cap the lines and nozzles.
  2. Remove the three nuts attaching the injection pump to the injection pump adapter using Tool T83T-9000-B.
  3. If the injection pump is to be replaced, loosen the injection line retaining clips and the injection nozzle fuel lines with Tool T83T-9396-A and cap all fittings at this time with protective cap set T83T-9395-A or equivalent. Do not install the injection nozzle fuel lines until the new pump is installed in the engine.
  4. Lift the injection pump, with the nozzle lines attached, up and out of the engine compartment.

<table class="notetable" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="noteclass_warning"> WARNING </td> </tr> <tr> <td> Do not carry injection pump by injection nozzle fuel lines as this could cause lines to bend or crimp.
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> To install:
  1. Install a new O-ring on the drive gear end of the injection pump.
  2. Move the injection pump down and into position.
  3. Position the alignment dowel on injection pump into the alignment hole on drive gear.
  4. Install the bolts attaching the injection pump to drive gear and tighten.
  5. Install the nuts attaching injection pump to adapter. Align scribe lines on the injection pump flange and the injection pump adapter and tighten to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).
  6. If the injection nozzle fuel lines were removed from the injection pump install at this time, refer to the Injection Lines installation procedure in this section.
  7. Remove the caps from nozzles and the fuel lines and install the fuel line nuts on the nozzles and tighten to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
  8. Connect the fuel return line to injection pump and tighten the nuts.
  9. Install the injection pump fitting adapter with a new O-ring.
  10. Clean the old sealant from the injection pump elbow threads, using clean solvent, and dry thoroughly. Apply a light coating of pipe sealant to the elbow threads.
  11. Install the elbow in the injection pump adapter and tighten to a minimum of 72 inch lbs. (8 Nm). Then tighten further, if necessary, to align the elbow with the injection pump fuel inlet line, but do not exceed 360 degrees of rotation or 10 ft. lbs. (13 Nm).
  12. Remove the caps and connect the fuel filter-to-injection pump fuel line.
  13. Install the accelerator cable bracket on the intake manifold.
  14. Remove the rags from the intake manifold and install the air cleaner.
  15. Connect the accelerator and speed control cable, if so equipped, to the throttle lever.
  16. Install the fast idle solenoid bracket assembly.
  17. Install the electrical connectors on injection pump.
  18. Clean the injection pump adapter and oil filler neck sealing surfaces.
  19. Apply a <sup>1</sup>/<sub>8</sub> in. (3mm) bead of RTV sealant on the adapter housing.
  20. Install the oil filler neck and tighten the bolts.
  21. Connect the battery ground cables to both batteries.
  22. Run the engine and check for fuel leaks.
  23. If necessary, purge high pressure fuel lines of air by loosening connector one half to one turn and cranking engine until solid fuel, free from bubbles flows from connection.

<table class="notetable" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="noteclass_caution"> CAUTION </td> </tr> <tr> <td> Keep eyes and hands away from nozzle spray. Fuel spraying from the nozzle under high pressure can penetrate the skin.
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
  1. Check and adjust injection pump timing as described in this section.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:03 PM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rick it's an IP (injection pump)

First thing, some truck info would help. Depending on what year would tell us if the leak is from the weep hole on the newer style IP or somewhere else on the older style.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:20 AM
4drf350
Mountain Pass
Ohh yea I am mean a IP

Old 01-31-2011, 09:25 AM
4drf350
Mountain Pass
My truck is a 1994 F350 it is a turbo . The fuel is coming from under the IP. It is the OEM that came with the truck an I just feeled it up an I am only getting 12 mpg off of the front tank idk is that is bad or good but I was getting about 14ish be for in the city an about 15ish on the high way. Thank you Rick