1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

05 Expedition owners.....need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 09:03 AM
browntown3
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
05 Expedition owners.....need advice

Guys there is an 05 XLT in excellent condition but has 140k miles on it but the price is only 8995. I am interested in reliability of it and from consumer reports has on its webisite this was the worst year from 00-2010 models? What are your opinions on this year model and the miles on this one? thanks for any advice.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:24 AM
soundtransmission
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 06 EB has 125K miles and still running strong. I'm starting to do the maintenance required of typical vehicles of that mileage though, but otherwise can't complain.

If I were you for that mileage, I would thoroughly inspect the whole front end (and rear end as well) as those are components that will start to fail. Check CV joints, sway bar, bearings, brakes (esp. rotors), etc. Normal wear and tear items that can be very costly to address. Just last week I had to replace both left bearings as they were starting to grind off, and I also replaced both rear rotors (the truck was getting very bumpy when I'd hit the brakes). If the truck has never had this work done before, then you could use it for negogiating (though the $8,900 price tag for a 05 seems pretty darn good).

Also, you might want to see if it has had a spark plug job yet. If it runs well then it probably has (it should be done at 100K miles), but if it hasn't then it could easily set you back ~$700 at the shop and is not an easy DIY'er unless you are very very good with car mechanics (and can afford to waste a weekend doing it).

Good luck - mine is a great truck that I'm fully expecting to get 250,000 miles out of and the 05 should do about the same.