1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Could it be the fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:00 PM
michaelmilburn
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could it be the fuel?

Once again I'm back on the board with more issues but isn't that what this is all about.

Started the 302 up today and the timing issue appears to be fixed reall good starts up right away. Now to the problem. I hooked up my fuel lines to the mechanical pump that came with the motor and it doesn't work. The electric pump does not seem to push that many gph so I'm looking for a good replacement nothing too expensive for now.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:33 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
You mentioned the truck has been sitting for some time. The mechanical pump on the engine is probably hosed. Modern fuel sitting around for an extended time in an old mechanical fuel pump will ruin it every time. The ethanol they're putting in today's gas will eat up the rubber diaphram. That's probably what's wrong with yours. Your best bet would be to not mess with the electric pump and just replace the mechanical pump. A new one is inexpensive, easy to change and hook up, and would be more than sufficient for your needs.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:00 PM
michaelmilburn
Senior User
I bought a stock replacement, maybe I'm not putting it in right?? I did what the directions say unjust can't seem to get it to work.

Any ideas?

What's wrong with buying a high performance electric pump?

Old 01-27-2011, 11:23 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

I don't think it's possible to put them in wrong. If the lines and everything are dry, it may just be a case of it needing primed. My old junk Chevy dump truck loses its prime and the carb dries out if it sits for more than a week or two without running. I've usually got to squirt gas in the carb with an old oil can to keep it running for a minute or two before it will draw fuel and stay running on its own. You may need to do the same.

What's wrong with buying a high performance electric pump?
Nothing, really. It's just kinda like driving an 18-wheeler to the grocery store for a case of beer and some pork rinds. It would get the job done, but it would be overkill for your rig. A stock mechanical fuel pump would feed a basically stock 302 all day long without any wiring, safety switches, or headaches. Hi-po electric pumps aren't really useful or necessary until you're trying to knock down a quarter mile in about 13 seconds in a race car.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:26 PM
michaelmilburn
Senior User
Ok point taken. I have a few upgrades that make it not stock. 4 bbl carb and manifold, I plan to do the headers and install a few other items. So with a few good upgrades would a good electrical pump be ok?

Old 01-27-2011, 11:35 PM
michaelmilburn
Senior User
Ok point taken. I have a few upgrades that make it not stock. 4 bbl carb and manifold, I plan to do the headers and install a few other items. So with a few good upgrades would a good electrical pump be ok?

Old 01-28-2011, 01:03 AM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
Go for the mechanical as stated, Ford made plenty of High Performance engines with more done to them than your 4bbl and manifold and they ran great on mechanical pumps. The mechanical pump will not suck through the electric pump very well unless it is running but it sounds like your electric pump is a POS (piece of sh t) and needs to be taken out. Make sure your line are clear and you should be fine with the mechanical pump.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:37 AM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

I have a few upgrades that make it not stock. 4 bbl carb and manifold, I plan to do the headers and install a few other items.
A new intake and a 4-holer carb do not constitute a high performance or modified engine. Headers and other bolt-on's don't really count for much either. As long as it's still choking to death on untouched factory iron heads and the original flat tappet cam, you can consider it to be essentially stock for all intents and purposes. We can start talking about high performance when you step up to a set of nice aluminum heads, do a roller valvetrain conversion, and slip in a serious cam. There's nothing that you are going to do to that 302 without a five figure investment that's going to necessitate a high performance electric fuel pump. I really don't mean to sound rude, but that's just the way it is. I don't want to see you blow cash on stuff that won't do a thing for you when you could be saving for an investment in a nice set of heads. That's where you'll find more power than anything else.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:51 AM
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is a trick I have used to prime a mechanical pump after things have dried out - Disconnect the fuel line at the carburetor and direct it into a can, with an air compressor, set the regulator at 10 psi or less and take a blow gun with a rag wrapped around it and hold it in place in the fuel filler hole. Apply air gently (you do not want to balloon your gas tank) until fuel flows out the line you disconnected.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:04 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Did you replace or clean the fuel lines yet?

Old 01-28-2011, 11:35 AM
michaelmilburn
Senior User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Did you replace or clean the fuel lines yet?

Not the entire fuel line. Only from the POS fuel pump to the carb including the fuel filter. I know I know, I have to replace the line from the tank to the new pump to complete it.

What someone suggested was tank the top off the gas tank, drain it and let it air out for week.

Sound good?

Old 01-28-2011, 12:27 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
If you think it is that bad pull the tank and use the money you were going to spend on an electric pump and take the tank to a radiator shop and have them clean it.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:30 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Michael,
With the price of gas topping it off and draining will cost more than having it cleaned.

Where in CA are you?

Old 01-28-2011, 12:55 PM
boaterbob
Senior User
I think you can put a mechanical fuel pump in wrong. You can slide the arm over the cam lobe rather then under it.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:07 PM
michaelmilburn
Senior User
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
Michael,
With the price of gas topping it off and draining will cost more than having it cleaned.

Where in CA are you?

alameda, ca by san franciso

Quick Reply: Could it be the fuel?