Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks > '80-'86 HOWTO's
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-27-2011, 08:58 PM

ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
ctubutis ctubutis ctubutis
HOWTO - DSII Conversion (swap from TFI or EECIII / EECIV to DSII)

Threads detailing how to revert a computer-controlled engine to a DuraSpark II
configuration.

Duraspark II Conversion - How To Click the image to open in full size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyingtolive View Post
Two days ago, I converted my '84 F150, With a 300 I6, 4 Speed Transmission, and Four Wheel Drive over to the Duraspark II ignition system. Here's how I did it:

First things first. Why convert to the older Duraspark II (DSII) ignition system?
Simple. the DSII system is a much more simple and reliable system than the ignition system found on F-Series trucks made from '84-'86. It doesn't require tons of wires, a computer, or that terrible electronic feedback carburetor that never seems to work right. The system also features an automatic spark retard while cranking to reduce the load applied to the starter motor.

What you'll need:
To convert your truck to the DSII system, you'll need a few parts.
1. Distributor
Click the image to open in full size.

Duraspark II Wiring Harness..?? Click the image to open in full size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyingtolive View Post
So, I've pretty much gotten everything prepped and ready for the Duraspark II conversion. However, I was looking over my wiring harness, and thought that I had it all figured out, until I noticed one wire with a single plug on it. I've looked in previous threads/write ups, and I haven't been able to figure it out. Any ideas?

Click the image to open in full size.

Duraspark II conversion for 86 I-6 Click the image to open in full size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superred2 View Post
I'm just trying to make sure I have all of my ducks in a row before I attempt to do this Duraspark conversion. I have an 86 F-150 I-6, 4 speed, 4x4 and someone has installed a manual choke to the current setup and it runs like crap at idle.

I have the control module and the wiring harness off of a 78 F-150 and I was just going to buy a rebuilt distributor for a 78 year truck ($50) and a coil ($22) for the same.

First of all, what else do I need? I have read that I need to get a carb off an older truck as well. The parts guy at O'Reilly's asked if the distributor was a one or two vacuum line setup. I'm not sure if I get a carb off of an older truck if that would make a difference.

I need a drink...

Old 01-27-2011, 08:58 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks > '80-'86 HOWTO's

Tags
dsii conversion