Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-27-2011, 02:23 PM
New User

Q da man is starting off with a positive reputation.
1981 4.9 Liter Straight-6 Oil leak

Well I picked up an awesome 30 year old truck. There is a plate on the drivers side of engine-block just underneath the sparkplugs, and after isolating my oil leak to that gasket, I cannot find any information about what that plate covers and tightening specifications.

What is that cover/gasket called?

There are six bolts with rubber gaskets holding it to the engine block.

Should I replace the rubber gaskets too?
Old 01-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Posting Guru

FordNFishinLover is starting off with a positive reputation.
Could you snap a picture of it?

Your not talking about the valve cover are you?

Bass, walleye, catfish, and trout, im tellin you now you'd better look out! You were safe in the lakes when i was home wishin. But be on your guard cause im goin fishin!
Old 01-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Elder User

Dorsai has a good reputation on FTE.Dorsai has a good reputation on FTE.
That's the pushrod cover, although I've also heard it referred to as a 'sideplate'. Mine's leaking oil from there as well - I haven't fixed it yet, but I did buy a new gasket from NAPA, and it came with the little rubber grommets/gaskets you mentioned. I might do it this weekend, since it's supposed to reach 60 degrees here.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Senior User

Harfend is starting off with a positive reputation.
I belive the name is: push rod cover, and the gasket replacement is a kit that includes the bolt gaskets. I had replaced mine with a Felpro kit I got at a local auto parts store. I used a bit of grease to hold the rubber gasket in place on the cover as it was repositioned on the block. Leak solved!

Good Luck!
HARFEND

1986 F150 I6 1V 4X4 4 speed OD
Old 01-27-2011, 03:05 PM
New User

Q da man is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks Guys

Man I knew this site would be badass, thanks for the heads up, Im fixin it tonight if at all possible.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:05 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
100, 1981, 49, 49liter, cover, f100, ford, fordf100, leaking, liter, litre, oil, sensor, straight, v6, valve