6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Fuel Tank Size Calibration (Good and Bad News)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 07:35 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gkerlin
[

Not the most impressive piece of work I've seen...

The gauge barely moved... it moved a tiny amount below full. then I had to go get my 5th wheel trailer and pull it home. About a 50 mi trip. The shaking that you get from pulling the trailer I think was enough to loosen up the connection. In about 10 min it went from almost Full to empty.

Got home - disconnected the trailer and had to go somewhere... Turned the truck on and voila - the gauge now read 7/8.
Either they did not plug in the connector good, or they pulled the wire out of the harness. The diesel might be coming from the return line being loose? I would doubt its the send line becuse it would be sucking air. Either way, they need to fix their work.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:28 AM
gkerlin
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP - Need to get my DTE software update!!

Originally Posted by lexustbs
The bracket up front needs to be checked. That bracket has a lip that must go under the frame, then it bolts to the piece that mounts to the body mount. I messed this up the first time, and the bracket did the exact same thing. Just look it over next to the frame, and you will see what I'm talking about.
I took a look and you are spot on. I'm sitting at the Ford Dealer right now having that corrected, the non-working fuel gauge fixed etc.

I have requested that they do the DTE upgrade for the bigger tank. I gave them some messages from this post that showed the number of the upgrade, yet they can't seem to figure it out.

They sent an email to someone at Ford who obviously doesn't know about it and he returned a Lawyer sounding email about how this forum is not endorsed by Ford Motor Company, that they do not endorse after market fuel tanks and that if I'm not happy they should re-install the original factory tank. HUH??

My dealer asked me to go on here and see if anyone can tell me the name, number of a Ford Dealer who has done the upgrade to the 50 gallon tank so they can call that dealer to find out what they did.

ANYBODY CARE TO HELP??!

Old 05-09-2011, 09:39 AM
gkerlin
Freshman User
Name of a Ford Dealer who knows how to do the upgrade

Originally Posted by the_wagman
Had the recal done this week. Filled up my truck today, shows 800 miles to empty. I have a lifetime average of 16mpg so the math is spot on for the 50 gal.
Could you let us know the name & location of the dealer who did the work?

My dealer can't seem to figure it out - or find the file and wants me to give them another dealer to call about it.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:48 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I took a look and you are spot on. I'm sitting at the Ford Dealer right now having that corrected, the non-working fuel gauge fixed etc.

I have requested that they do the DTE upgrade for the bigger tank. I gave them some messages from this post that showed the number of the upgrade, yet they can't seem to figure it out.

They sent an email to someone at Ford who obviously doesn't know about it and he returned a Lawyer sounding email about how this forum is not endorsed by Ford Motor Company, that they do not endorse after market fuel tanks and that if I'm not happy they should re-install the original factory tank. HUH??

My dealer asked me to go on here and see if anyone can tell me the name, number of a Ford Dealer who has done the upgrade to the 50 gallon tank so they can call that dealer to find out what they did.

ANYBODY CARE TO HELP??!
It's difficult when you are put in this situation. People just need to try a bit harder. The service manager should walk back to the bay when the diesel tech has the IDS plugged into your truck and figure it out. It's a simple menu setting that allows them to change the MTE (not DTE) miles to empty tank size setting. I am not familiar with the menu options but they should be.

I would be pretty frustrated with a dealer who not only can't connect a fuel line correctly but also won't spend the extra 60 seconds to find a PCM setting on their IDS software. Sorry, this doesn't help but it is one of the major reasons I choose to do as much of my truck maintenance myself as I can.

You can continue to beat your head against the wall with this dealer or perhaps search for another. I have no patience for such professional incompetence.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:02 AM
gkerlin
Freshman User
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
It's difficult when you are put in this situation. People just need to try a bit harder. The service manager should walk back to the bay when the diesel tech has the IDS plugged into your truck and figure it out. It's a simple menu setting that allows them to change the MTE (not DTE) miles to empty tank size setting. I am not familiar with the menu options but they should be.

I would be pretty frustrated with a dealer who not only can't connect a fuel line correctly but also won't spend the extra 60 seconds to find a PCM setting on their IDS software. Sorry, this doesn't help but it is one of the major reasons I choose to do as much of my truck maintenance myself as I can.

You can continue to beat your head against the wall with this dealer or perhaps search for another. I have no patience for such professional incompetence.
Have you had your MTE display upgraded to the larger tank size?? If so could you tell me who did it. I'm sitting here at Ford hoping I can get the info to them before they are done. If you haven't had it done yet you might be joining me in this frustration.

This dealer is 90 miles from where I live. That's how far I'm traveling to try to find one who is really on top of things. I've already fired the two closest to home. Jeeze - how far will I have to drive?

Old 05-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Epic -- did you ever get your's squared away?

Old 05-09-2011, 10:16 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Have you had your MTE display upgraded to the larger tank size?? If so could you tell me who did it. I'm sitting here at Ford hoping I can get the info to them before they are done. If you haven't had it done yet you might be joining me in this frustration.

This dealer is 90 miles from where I live. That's how far I'm traveling to try to find one who is really on top of things. I've already fired the two closest to home. Jeeze - how far will I have to drive?
Originally Posted by Marauder92V
Epic -- did you ever get your's squared away?
Sorry I can't tell you the exact menu sequence. My dealer did mine a few weeks ago but mine was the first they had done and it took them a little bit to figure it out. They actually said thanks for letting them know about the feature. I'm a computer guy and I know I could just walk through the menus until it showed up. I can PM you if you need the exact dealer's name.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:36 AM
rdenis
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gkerlin - here is the sequence:

1) Ensure IDS is at least version 72.xx - current version is 72.04.
2) Click on the toolbox icon at top left of main screen
3) Select 'Module Programming' - click checkmark icon
4) Select 'Programmable Parameters'
5) Select 'Fuel" - click checkmark icon
6) Select 'Front Fuel Tank - (IC) = xx' on bottom of parameter list
7) Select 50 (or whatever size you need) on right side of screen and click checkmark icon

Follow the remaining on-screen instructions.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:41 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by rdenis
gkerlin - here is the sequence:

1) Ensure IDS is at least version 72.xx - current version is 72.04.
2) Click on the toolbox icon at top left of main screen
3) Select 'Module Programming' - click checkmark icon
4) Select 'Programmable Parameters'
5) Select 'Fuel" - click checkmark icon
6) Select 'Front Fuel Tank - (IC) = xx' on bottom of parameter list
7) Select 50 (or whatever size you need) on right side of screen and click checkmark icon

Follow the remaining on-screen instructions.
That's what FTE is all about right there! Thanks! Reps tried but have to wait a while...

Old 05-09-2011, 11:08 AM
gkerlin
Freshman User
Sorry I can't tell you the exact menu sequence. My dealer did mine a few weeks ago but mine was the first they had done and it took them a little bit to figure it out. They actually said thanks for letting them know about the feature. I'm a computer guy and I know I could just walk through the menus until it showed up. I can PM you if you need the exact dealer's name.
Epic,

Can you let me know the dealers name please. They want to talk to another dealer first. Thanks

Old 05-09-2011, 11:13 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am always amazed at how some dealers are so incompetent. My servicing dealer is a Lincoln dealer in a small town. He does more Ford diesel work than any of the other local Ford dealers. I keep the service manager in the FTE loop by sending TSB and IDS information posted here. A few weeks ago, I dropped my truck off for for a 7500 mile maintenance visit. They changed the fluids and updated the computer to read MTE correctly for my 50 gallon Titan tank. The MTE adjustment was complimentary. The maintenance bill was reasonable.

I will likely visit them this week for the latest transmission flash...

Regards

Old 05-09-2011, 11:17 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Epic,

Can you let me know the dealers name please. They want to talk to another dealer first. Thanks
I can understand your request but...Rdenis is one of the resident 6.7 Ford dealership techs who helps here on a regular basis. What he posted should be plenty for tany dealer to do a simple recalibration using the IDS system. If they can not do the work from that description, I would not want them working on my truck...period

Regards

Old 05-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Tried to rep rdenis as well, apparently I need to pass along more love to others first

Old 05-09-2011, 12:07 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Epic,

Email sent. Sorry for the slow response as I was away for a bit.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:16 PM
gkerlin
Freshman User
Thanks Epic

Email sent. Sorry for the slow response as I was away for a bit.

Got it! Thanks a bunch. Already gave it to the service manager. We'll see how it turns out.

A while ago - The owner was walking by in the parking lot and recognized my big mustache and said "are you back again - you were here all day last week"

I told him my story and that I drove 90 miles here in hopes that his dealership would be my new place to get the truck serviced.

Lets see if that was the charm. One can hope.

Worst comes to worst - I'm headed out west for 10 wks vacation. Maybe I can get it done in out there.

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Size Calibration (Good and Bad News)