6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Fuel Tank Size Calibration (Good and Bad News)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 06:00 PM
gkerlin
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got the MTE calcs updated

Thanks to everyone. Especially rdenis who provided the instructions for the techs. I finally convinced them to go for it. Now I show miles and miles of go-time.

They fixed the front support - tank now sits evenly on it.

Fuel gauge I am not convinced is correct - I have to fill it to double check but from my initial fill up with the tank, my trip meter shows 16 gallons used but the gauge shows 3/4. That would be a 64 gallon tank.

That will still throw off the MTE but for now I gotta hit the road next monday for a 10k+ mile trip pulling the 5'ver and I don't want to temp fate.

Perhaps they didn't clock it correctly when they reattached the float assembly.... Who knows. Are these things adjustable without pulling the tank??

Again - thanks to all who kicked in some help real quick. This is a great resource.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:27 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gkerlin
Thanks to everyone. Especially rdenis who provided the instructions for the techs. I finally convinced them to go for it. Now I show miles and miles of go-time.

Fuel gauge I am not convinced is correct - I have to fill it to double check but from my initial fill up with the tank, my trip meter shows 16 gallons used but the gauge shows 3/4. That would be a 64 gallon tank.

That will still throw off the MTE but for now I gotta hit the road next monday for a 10k+ mile trip pulling the 5'ver and I don't want to temp fate.

Perhaps they didn't clock it correctly when they reattached the float assembly.... Who knows. Are these things adjustable without pulling the tank??

Again - thanks to all who kicked in some help real quick. This is a great resource.
Glad you got it fixed, but damn. I would of walked up in the dealership with a few kind words. I did this install myself with few tools (none of the right tools) and I managed a good job. How can a service center with lifts and all the right tools make such a mess? I like Epics idea with not being able to put up with professional stupidity. But to end on a positive, you will love this tank. I never worry about fuel anymore.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:30 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Glad you "sorta" got it fixed. I'm concerned however about the fuel gauge not reading full when the tank is full. Not sure if you saw it in the tank install video but there is nothing to do between the OEM tank and the Titan tank with respect to the fuel level float. All you have to do is pull the sending unit out of the original and place it in the new. I'd hate to think that the installers may have mishandled the sending unit and bent the float or something.

Not trying to be a doom and gloom guy but something's not right there...

Old 05-09-2011, 07:31 PM
gkerlin
Freshman User
Originally Posted by lexustbs
Glad you got it fixed, but damn. I would of walked up in the dealership with a few kind words. I did this install myself with few tools (none of the right tools) and I managed a good job. How can a service center with lifts and all the right tools make such a mess? I like Epics idea with not being able to put up with professional stupidity. But to end on a positive, you will love this tank. I never worry about fuel anymore.
Yup - double the range - that's a great thing.

Hey - your picture. Is that a Labradoodle? We have 2 - 20 pounders. They love the crew cab.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:36 PM
gkerlin
Freshman User
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Glad you "sorta" got it fixed. I'm concerned however about the fuel gauge not reading full when the tank is full. Not sure if you saw it in the tank install video but there is nothing to do between the OEM tank and the Titan tank with respect to the fuel level float. All you have to do is pull the sending unit out of the original and place it in the new. I'd hate to think that the installers may have mishandled the sending unit and bent the float or something.

Not trying to be a doom and gloom guy but something's not right there...
I know what you are saying. I saw the install video that the guy did in his garage in 2hrs. It's not rocket science for all the problems that I had. I just didn't even have jack stands, a decent jack or anything so I figured pay the $$'s and let the "Pros" do it.

I already sent the dealership an email about it and told them i dont have anymore time to drive out there..... now.

Come July when I get back from my trip if its not right - I'm going to make them get it right. For now I use the fuel used in the trip meter anyway. I've always found that to be within a couple of tenths one way or the other.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:42 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
No goldendoodle. 95lbs. She rides in the wife's Volvo. We have another one on the way. Only 40 lbs this time. Can you explain the fuel gauge situation in detail? I know you said the level went from full to empty the last time in 15 min or so? I would not go off the gauge for the exact gallons left though. Sometimes I'll be parked a just a slight incline, not even 1 degree and the gauge will read way less that what I have. I blame that on no low fuel trap(or large one).

Old 05-09-2011, 07:45 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
That guy in the video is epic. Ha There is no way to re lock the gauge without pulling the tank..... Mostly because of the difficulty of getting to the bolts, but also because you need to see which way the float is pointIng

Old 05-09-2011, 08:55 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was an early adopter of the 50 gallon Titan tank for my CC SB truck. My nephew and I installed the tank in less than 2 hours with no issues. I completely agree that a dealership should have had a walk in the park installing this tank. Except for figuring out how the fuel line retainers release, this install is basically idiot proof.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:40 AM
gkerlin
Freshman User
Originally Posted by lexustbs
Can you explain the fuel gauge situation in detail? I know you said the level went from full to empty the last time in 15 min or so? I would not go off the gauge for the exact gallons left though. Sometimes I'll be parked a just a slight incline, not even 1 degree and the gauge will read way less that what I have. I blame that on no low fuel trap(or large one).
When I left the dealer the first time - they filled the tank. Gauge read full.

I drove about 150 miles and the gauge didn't seem to move at all. It might have moved slightly - not sure now with all that's gone on. I was getting about 20 mpg however so i thought well thats only about 7.5 gal or so - maybe its delayed a bit. You know how some cars never seem to move at first then they drop.

When I picked up the trailer it seemed like it dropped below full a bit and then stayed there. My drive with the trailer was only about 50 miles, I kept looking at the gauge to see it move and about 25 miles into that trip it started to move - and didn't stop. Over the next 25 miles it dropped to empty and stayed there.

Later that day it went up to 7/8 Next morning back on E I don't remember what my mileage was at this point.

Yesterday at the dealer - and I gave them a detailed list of what they needed to correct - typed in BIG print so they wouldn't forget anything, wouldn't you know it but when they first gave me back the truck they forgot to fix the fuel gauge!

Anyway - the gauge did drop slightly over the 90 miles back from the dealer as it should. My concern is simply that I thought the gauge should read identical to the old tank - yet my display says I used 16 gallons since my last reset (when the dealer filled the tank) and my gauge reads 3/4. I should be down around 2/3. I'm going to fill the tank today and then on my trip I will monitor the situation - use 40 gal or so - see what the gauge reads, see how much I put back in and so forth.

If the gauge does not read exactly the same as the old tank - you know - perhaps a delay when it starts but catches up on the way down - fine. As long as I know how much fuel I have its good. From reading all the posts and info on the tank I just thought that I wouldn't have seen a difference at all.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:53 AM
gkerlin
Freshman User
Originally Posted by rickatic
I was an early adopter of the 50 gallon Titan tank for my CC SB truck. My nephew and I installed the tank in less than 2 hours with no issues. I completely agree that a dealership should have had a walk in the park installing this tank. Except for figuring out how the fuel line retainers release, this install is basically idiot proof.
I know. I watched the video of the guy install it in his garage using tiedown straps to hold it in place and lower the old tank.

The only part that looked tricky was the fuel line connections. The dealer charged me for 4 hrs install time too! I didn't even complain about that. All I wanted was a professional job. You should have seen that front bracket when I looked under the truck. A rock could have seen that it was not right. It was cocked 20-30 degrees off perpendicular with the tank.

Then when I told them to check the forum here for info on the MTE upgrade - they send an email to someone at Ford who doesn't bother to check and see if the info is right. He just shoots back a lawyer like email about how Ford does not endorse this forum, they don't endorse aftermarket tanks blah blah blah. Unfortunately a company is sometimes only as good as its weakest links. I met a few of those links the past week.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:27 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Having read through the last few pages, I can't help but ask, "isn't there a certification requirement for these mechanics?". I know like any profession there are good doctors and bad doctors -- but this industry seems to be filled with quacks.

-- before the wrath of the wrench befalls me, present company exempted! But doesn't anyone else feel like these dealers have staffed their bays with some questionable skills?

Old 05-10-2011, 06:43 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
If the gauge does not read exactly the same as the old tank - you know - perhaps a delay when it starts but catches up on the way down - fine. As long as I know how much fuel I have its good. From reading all the posts and info on the tank I just thought that I wouldn't have seen a difference at all.
For what its worth, my gauge also stays at full for a while before it starts to move. Then it travels through the range pretty predictably and warns of low fuel when there are about 6-7 gallons left. I don't have much time with the new MTE display but it feels like that is pretty accurate too. The display reads about 700 MTE when full and tells me I'm empty when I have 5 gallons in the tank.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:04 AM
gkerlin
Freshman User
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
For what its worth, my gauge also stays at full for a while before it starts to move. Then it travels through the range pretty predictably and warns of low fuel when there are about 6-7 gallons left. I don't have much time with the new MTE display but it feels like that is pretty accurate too. The display reads about 700 MTE when full and tells me I'm empty when I have 5 gallons in the tank.
Thanks for that info. Sounds good. I will put it thru it's paces over the next 10 weeks, hauling my 5'er thru the desert, up the west coast, & around the rockies. Gauge or no gauge - it sure will be nice to have 50 gallons. At least till I fill er up that is.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:17 AM
gkerlin
Freshman User
Tank Venting Question

OK Folks - one more potential issue with my install?

When I unscrew the fuel cap I get a rush of air out of the tank.

I don't recall my tank doing this prior to the change.

Is this supposed to happen? I know on gas vehicles this is normal but again - I don't think this truck did it prior to the titan tank install.

Does the fuel cap have an overpressure safety??

Thanks again.

(on the road and heading west)

Old 05-16-2011, 08:40 AM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Is the rush of air in or out of the tank? Look at the tank and see if the sIdes are caving in.... Mine was doing the same thing. Still does it, but not as bad. I had to fix the add on vent.

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Size Calibration (Good and Bad News)