Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Freshman User

rbenton is starting off with a positive reputation.
@accordingtorich @accordingtorich
Coolant smell from the heater/defroster

My 2000 Ranger (3.0/5spd) started blowing the smell of colant through the vents and is fogging up the inside windows. Could this be a bad heater core or????? Any ideas??? If anyone knows of a thread that already discussed this please try to send it to me...Thanks!!!!!
72 Gran Torino Fig 8 (RIP)
48 Cushman (Project)
Old 01-27-2011, 11:51 AM
New User

duhkrafties is starting off with a positive reputation.
Most definetely sounds like a bad heater core. I have replaced several of these for the same concern. You will more than likely see coolant dripping from the drain tube located in the plenum part of the heater case that is mounted to the firewall if the leak is bad enough. Doing a heater core in your truck will require removal of the dash and the heater plenum in the engine compartment.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Freshman User

rbenton is starting off with a positive reputation.
@accordingtorich @accordingtorich
Great........doesn't sound like very much fun...oh well!! Thanks for the input!
72 Gran Torino Fig 8 (RIP)
48 Cushman (Project)
Old 01-27-2011, 12:30 PM
New User

They arent to bad if you have some good mechanical knowledge, patience, and the right tools. I've done a few and have it down to about 2-3hours.
Good Luck
Old 01-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Posting Guru

FordNFishinLover is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yep, most definitaly at heater core. Oftenly you will see it drip on the passengers side floor mat.

Never changed one on a ranger, but my old ford pickup id done in about an hour. Imagine things are a bit tougher on these trucks though.

Bass, walleye, catfish, and trout, im tellin you now you'd better look out! You were safe in the lakes when i was home wishin. But be on your guard cause im goin fishin!
Old 01-29-2011, 09:31 PM
New User

4x42001 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Be glad the heater core isn't in a dodge dokota.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Elder User

Flexfuel-Dave is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duhkrafties View Post
They arent to bad if you have some good mechanical knowledge, patience, and the right tools. I've done a few and have it down to about 2-3hours.
Good Luck
Don't go bragging about this! You'll soon see a pile of older Rangers and their owners in front of your place looking for you!
Old 01-30-2011, 08:41 AM
Senior User

smalltrucker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Be thankful you live where it's warm. I had a complete sudden failure at around zero, the warm moisture froze on the windows instantly. Good luck, been lucky here and never changed on on a Ranger (yet).
DAve
Old 01-31-2011, 10:30 PM
Senior User

D-mon is starting off with a positive reputation.
my 2004 4.0 ranger kinda has a burning rubber smell when i start it up now in the winter here in MN. The smell is in the cab and kinda even outside of the truck.
cant off the top of my head remember what the smell of antifreeze smells like.
thanks guys
1979 Ford F-150 Custom! 4x4
Old 02-01-2011, 09:38 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexfuel-Dave View Post
Don't go bragging about this! You'll soon see a pile of older Rangers and their owners in front of your place looking for you!
LOL. I'll do those heater cores all day long. Not sure that its worth the drive to Michigan though. LOL
Old 02-01-2011, 09:40 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mon View Post
my 2004 4.0 ranger kinda has a burning rubber smell when i start it up now in the winter here in MN. The smell is in the cab and kinda even outside of the truck.
cant off the top of my head remember what the smell of antifreeze smells like.
thanks guys
Coolant usually has more of a sweet smell to it. I dont think it would really be associated with any kind of burnt rubber smell.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Senior User

D-mon is starting off with a positive reputation.
ok thanks.....
no it really doesnt have a sweet smell to it. What else could it be?
thanks guys
1979 Ford F-150 Custom! 4x4
Old 02-05-2011, 06:34 AM
Senior User

Rackster is starting off with a positive reputation.
Heater Core

Confirming the posts above, it's likely your heater core. I had a Buick Skyhawk back in college that would break the passengerside motormount. When the engine torqued, it would tug on the hoses to the heater core causing the stems going into the core to snap at the weld. Sticky windshield film, smell of antifreeze, and a puddle on the passengerside floormat. I broke mounts and heater cores with regularity - got pretty good at doing things by feel (motor mounts) and on the fly with the heatercore. Like my fellow colleagues above, things seem to break on the coldest day of the winter! You might be able to grit it out for a few days to line up the time you need to do the job yourself. Keep a short handled scraper for the inside of the windshield and if you can, connect the input hose to the output hose to bypass the heater core althogether (I would use the broken stem for the bypass slipping it into the return hose and clamping off). Either find a buddy's garage you can borrow if you don't have your own, or contemplate a cold trip to see duhkrafties in Michigan. Good Luck!!
Old 02-05-2011, 06:44 AM
Senior User

Rackster is starting off with a positive reputation.
Burning Rubber Smell

D-mon,

Does it smell electrical, like burning insulation? It could be you have a short in a wire/wire harness, so exercise caution. Where are you detecting the odor?

Rackster
Old 02-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Post Fiend

Rockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by duhkrafties View Post
Good Luck
Experience is always a time saver. Realistically, for a first-timer, it will take longer than that.

The heater core is inside the plenum. THIS post provides good info on how to gain access to the plenum.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:27 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series

Tags
2000, 54l, antifreeze, coolant, defrost, defroster, fog, ford, heater, navigator, odor, ranger, running, smell, start