1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Master cylinder location

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:23 PM
Pappys53
Laughing Gas
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Master cylinder location

I may open a can of worms, but I would like opinions on whether keeping the master cylinder under the floor on my 53 or move it to the firewall. I had someone tell me that have seen too many problems moving it to the firewall. Also will a standard dual bowl with disc on front give better braking then just drum?

Old 01-26-2011, 10:32 PM
Marty Smilt
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even if you change to a vacuum boosted system keeping the master cylinder under the floorboards is a good idea.
#1 it keeps the break master and vacuum booster cooler.
#2 the firewall looks cleaner
#3 it is a lot less work

Disc on the front is a must if you go to a bigger engine. We all tend to add weight over the years and the highway speeds we now drive are a lot higher than they were back then. I consider disc brakes to be a requirement on my projects. They are just better all around. Don't forget, plan on having to buy repair parts on the road eventually. Sooner or later you will have a problem and it helps to be able to buy standard parts for a late model car/truck when possible. I am talking about any modification, suspension, alternator etc.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:35 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
The only problems with moving the brake stuff to the firewall is the associated work of doing the job; replacing pedals, bracing the firewall and underdash, plumbing, packaging, etc. There's a reason Detroit did the change 65 years ago. Hanging pedals are arguably more comfortable to use than the through the floor type. Or at least, we're used to them now. And servicing the unit is infinitely easier, too. It's really all a matter of personal preference and how much work one has the desire to do.

Disc brake braking is more efficient and consistent than drums. Discs also take more pedal effort than drums, so that's why you very rarely ever saw manual disc brakes. I would advise if you're going to add disc brakes, go with a power booster and a dual chamber master cylinder designed for disc brakes. Get the stuff from the same people so you know you have matching parts. Brakes is the last place you want to skimp or try to save that last nickel.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:50 AM
AstroFab
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I prefer a clean engine bay myself. Although there are some 90-degree mounted master cylinder/pedal assemblies out there that might fit under the stock dash if you wanted to keep the firewall clean and have hanging pedals.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:16 PM
tlb
Elder User

The master cylinder on my truck is mounted under the floor. Pain in the neck to check because the hole in the floor is forward of the cylinder because of the vacuum booster. If i had it to do over again i would leave the MC were it is but get a remote fill kit for it.

Terry

Old 01-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Corrupt Silence
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tlb
The master cylinder on my truck is mounted under the floor. Pain in the neck to check because the hole in the floor is forward of the cylinder because of the vacuum booster. If i had it to do over again i would leave the MC were it is but get a remote fill kit for it.

Terry
That was precisely my plan. Not there yet, but I am going to keep the "under floor" setup. I plan on getting the No Limit Engineering kit with the power booster and the relocation setup. Should be nice and clean, easily accessible and less work then the firewall mounted option. I'm running disc up front and drum in the rear.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:57 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I did the firewall mount and it was easy... now its in the way all the time. clutters up the view..

next will be under the floor..

talked to a couple folks with them under the dash, and they are a bit.h to service and keep the interior clean.. (imagine brake fluid on your carpet)..

Sam

Old 01-27-2011, 06:16 PM
AstroFab
Senior User
I've got 4-wheel discs and the Master Cylinder is under the floor in the stock location. No power booster. I drive this sucker everywhere everyday and don't feel the need to upgrade to power brakes. If I end up doing an engine swap I might, that's MIGHT, install a hydroboost power brake setup under the floor. It'll give me the power brakes without a big ugly low-hanging booster and no chance for vacuum leaks.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:41 AM
Pappys53
Laughing Gas
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
My next question is keeping it under the floor I have heard and read you need residue valves. Are these are to get set up correctly as far as the pressure you need? Originally I was staying under the floor going with powr but it will push the master cylinder away from the inspection hole and will be a pain to check and refill. How will do the remote fills work? What about the hydorboost AstroFab mentioned? How do these work good?

Old 01-28-2011, 09:52 AM
wwgg2
New User
I pit this setup on mine and it works great:
Power brakes FORD TRUCKS 47-52 + cars 1941-1948 - eBay (item 330522953793 end time Jan-31-11 06:59:22 PST)

My truck isn't lowered and he said I wouldn't need the residue valves.
I've run it for over 6 months and no problems.
Very easy to install.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Corrupt Silence
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Typically you would want to install residual valves in any under floor master cylinder setup. If for nothing else, then for peace of mind. And a remote fill is exactly as it sounds. You will have a reservoir that you can mount remotely for ease of filling/checking your fluids. There will be lines that run from your remote reservoir back to your master cylinder.

Edit: Here's a good link on info. for residual and proportioning valves...
http://ecihotrodbrakes.com/brake_facts.html
&
http://www.thebrakeman.com/valvetechi

Old 01-28-2011, 11:37 AM
tazcliff
Cross-Country
I am still undecided which way I will go as I plan on putting a manual trans i my truck which is why I was considering relocating master/booster up to the firewall and using speedways hydraulic slave & master for the clutch. My donor car is a 83 GT mustang with a T5 that I bought brand new back in the day and kept it around for sentimental reasons. That being said if I keep the brake system under the floor all I would need is the basic bracket from no limit as my mustang master and booster will bolt right up to it. The only thing I would add for piece of mind is the residual valves. The final decision will be dictated after I set the motor in to see how the exhaust will need to be routed which is my main concern with keeping everything under the floor.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by wwgg2
I pit this setup on mine and it works great:
Power brakes FORD TRUCKS 47-52 + cars 1941-1948 - eBay (item 330522953793 end time Jan-31-11 06:59:22 PST)

My truck isn't lowered and he said I wouldn't need the residue valves.
I've run it for over 6 months and no problems.
Very easy to install.
Does this particular setup bolt directly onto the original tranny crossmember and does it line up with the three bolt holes? The PO's left part of the crossmember and the stock brakes. I'm trying to decide if I want to leave it that way or buy that other one that bolts onto the side of the frame rail.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:42 PM
wwgg2
New User
It was a direct bolt in with the stock three bolt holes.
This was so easy to install I couldn't believe it.
Woody

Old 01-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Fordman49F1
Senior User
I must be nuts for rockin stock brakes then!

They were fully rebuilt with new lines, wheel cyls, shoes, master cyl, hardware kits and adjusters. They stop much better than I was expecting them to...I figured to leave well enough alone till I start building more HP. Yeah, I know they are not as effective as disc brakes, but money determined my build at that point. Eventually I will get the disc brake kit.

Quick Reply: Master cylinder location