BreakAway Switch Problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:14 PM
sandyc
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BreakAway Switch Problem ?

I tried to get an answer to my problem at Trailer Life open road forum (RV/Net) and got no response. Apparently RVer's over there have no knowledge of wiring breakaway switches. Below is what I posted and would appreciate any and all info. Thanks

"This morning while re-routing wires, something happened bad. One breakaway switch wire melted all the way to the junction box,(lots of smoke). After yanking wires quickly, disconnecting battery, and un-plug the trailer, I commenced checking everything else and re-wiring for the switch. Everything else seems to be ok, all lights working good. Question: Would this situation that happened, be a problem for the electric trailer brakes? Should I replace the breakaway switch, it appears to look good? Have no idea why this happened, unless I touched something with a wrench and not aware of it.

2nd question: Definitely need a battery cut-off switch. Is it best to break the battery ground or positive side? After this incident, I recommend highly everyone get a battery switch.

All comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks "

Old 01-27-2011, 05:28 AM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You probably had an exposed wire that shorted. Not sure if that would fry the switch or not, or if it would have any effect on the brakes themselves. You'll have to test the operation after the wire repair.

As far as the battery cut-off goes, there is no right or wrong way with regards to + vs. -. It's pretty much personal preference.

Here's a short article on the subject.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:50 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Battery cut off is good. Make it to where it is not totally exposed, subject to someone coming by and throwing it either way...you know kids and stuff.

As you re-wire be sure you are using a good guage of wiring. to the best of my knowlegde the break-away send full energy to the brakes. so it is either full on or off.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Byram
Posting Guru

I would think if the switch was still fine - then just rewire it - that is if you can get into the switch ok.. If it fries the new wire then I guess the switch is grounded out (fried also) ...

& yea hot or ground should make a difference..

Old 01-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Beach_Bob
Senior User
I had a break away switch go up in smoke when I had a wire rub on the trailer frame to the point of exposing copper. I was hooking up the trailer and bumped the switch. Poof. Bought a new switch for 7 or 8 bucks and took about 2 minutes to change out.

Ripping the old one apart to see what kind of damage occured took work. They're pretty rugged. Enough heat was generated by the shorting to melt the plastic internally to the point that I couldn't pull the breakaway key out.

I did put a few loops of duct tape around the wiring on the new switch just to avoid a similar incident.