1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DO NOT BUY_RECON PRODUCTS!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Hubnut
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the head's up. Word of mouth means everything. I understand trying to work it out, but come on. Whatever happened to the customer is always right and standing behind your product? I'm glad people post their bad experiences with a company...I won't ever buy from them. But hey, they probably don't really care.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IB Tim
...and where do you get that, have you used it Yourself...and found problems, have you contacted them and tried to te get the issue fixed?
yes I did and I have emails to back it (end of the day they are what they are )
I also have a link to someone elses post who describes all the issues and some fixes ,, I don't care to fix new products
anyone thinking of cab lights is best to get oem and use recon lenses if they want the smoked color

Old 01-28-2011, 07:08 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
It would be nice if the world was filled with perfect new products...like Chevy and Ford and Chrysler and Toyota and !!!!!....the list goes on....it does not matter if everything is perfect it maters what they do about it....as for needing to fix something new...I would suggest to never buy anything new again....

BTW It would be impossible to name any company that has never had an issue....impossible.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:14 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
it's word of mouth
and that is the beauty of these forums ,, at least you will be armed with the knowledge that the product may be flawed ,, and sometimes how to improve it after the fact
or how the customer service will behave ,, The Recon rep was very decent to me ( I wanted no compensation I was trying to help them improve their product ),, but they defended the product and I knew it was not a properly designed /built /painted item

Old 01-28-2011, 07:27 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
A very valid point about companies not listening to what could help the product....however lets think about this in the real world...do you expect them to sit on the phone and say "yea we know it is bad" or "yea we know it needs a better paint job"...NO it is not going to happen, but I guarantee that any company worth it's salt is taking notes and they go forward...you and I will never know it if meant anything or not...but it does go forward.

I have unloaded on companies that built crap, and wish it was a complete loop back to the consumer...but that is not the way business works, they will not shoot your foot or themselves in their own foot.

That is why I say...pick up the phone and ask.

...and the word of mouth thing...so if you produce a million items and you have ten flawed.....and one post.. is it fair...if that is the case you would not be driving the Ford you are...for the company should have been gone for the the way they treated the original 6.0 buyers....but you and I know they fixed it ...fired IH and built their own motors...nice truck NOW....but a few stunk

Last edited by IB Tim; 01-28-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:36 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
NO he is NOT a sponsor...this is about piling on, if someone has an issue and hey have tried to work it out ...then so be it....if members here ...have never had an issue (and never used said product) then they should keep out of it....period.
Unfortunately that's not how it works. If it is you need to modify the forum rules to specifically state that someone who has never used a product is prohibited from commenting on it.

I would suggest to you...try and find a resolution to this, call again and try...it does not cost a penny in this day and age to try and work it out...should it take this long...NO....but figure out if you can find something you would like from them.
He tried. They won't budge. In-store credit or screw you. Not exactly the way to do business IMO. Would I buy from them? No. Have I ever dealt with them? No.

This thread is nothing more than an online review, and they have them for a reason. To make potential buyers aware of poor products and/or business practices. If we're not allowed to comment then what's the point of this forum? We share the good and the bad, and comment accordingly.

Here's a thread started on another forum about the same type of "screw you" attitude Recon seems to employ. There's more out there if you care to look.

What Mr. Recon needs to do is give the OP his money back, apologize and comp him an in-store credit. Somehow I don't see that happening and he'll continue to take a beating here and elsewhere.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:37 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
If it is you need to modify the forum rules to specifically state that someone who has never used a product is prohibited from commenting on it.
No we do not need to modify the guidelines, members need ...not to say anything if they have have not experienced issues with the product (how in the world could you believe anyone who has not used the item and try to speak about it)...they need to stay out of condemning something they have never tired...called a moral compass...you have direct contact then by ALL mans speak up

...this I heard from a buddy who had a friend who heard....doesn't get it.

Last edited by IB Tim; 01-28-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:37 PM
bayou barataria
Posting Guru

The first item I wanted replaced was the illuminated fender emblems which had a very high failure rate, and the company did admit it had a defect. I did not want a refund at the time, just a replacement. At that time they told me they were being re-designed and to call back in oct.. When I did call back they said they could not get dot approval on the item, and talked me into buying another item at a reduced price with a credit for the defective item.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:46 PM
bayou barataria
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by fz1dave
Unfortunately that's not how it works. If it is you need to modify the forum rules to specifically state that someone who has never used a product is prohibited from commenting on it.

He tried. They won't budge. In-store credit or screw you. Not exactly the way to do business IMO. Would I buy from them? No. Have I ever dealt with them? No.

This thread is nothing more than an online review, and they have them for a reason. To make potential buyers aware of poor products and/or business practices. If we're not allowed to comment then what's the point of this forum? We share the good and the bad, and comment accordingly.

Here's a thread started on another forum about the same type of "screw you" attitude Recon seems to employ. There's more out there if you care to look.

What Mr. Recon needs to do is give the OP his money back, apologize and comp him an in-store credit. Somehow I don't see that happening and he'll continue to take a beating here and elsewhere.
I did not recieve a return call either just like that guy until I e-mailed them and pointed out this thread. Sounds just like the crap I went through only this is from 2008. I guess there will be no improvement to their customer relations. The only nice person I spoke to over there in 8 phone calls is no longer with them, they said she was fired, go figure.

Last edited by IB Tim; 01-28-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
..if that is the case you would not be driving the Ford you are...for the company should have been gone for the the way they treated the original 6.0 buyers....but you and I know they fixed it ...fired IH and built their own motors...nice truck NOW....but a few stunk
I knew exactly what the 6.0 issues were thanks to forums like this ,,
and just had $6000 dollars worth of work done 5 days before warranty was done ,
I now have ARP studs, anew Oil cooler and a bulletproof EGR cooler to satisfy emissions ,, I paid for parts and a little labor ,,

because I was armed with info from folks who start threads like this !!

fired IH and built their own motors...nice truck NOW
ps I wouldn't be endorsing fords mexican motor just yet !!

Old 01-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Rick Cargo
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow! I've used K & N filters for over 30 years in my trucks, cars, and especially my off-road racing equipment with nothing but 100% satisfaction. They have replaced some of my filters that were over 20 years old at no cost. Don't know anything about Recon.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:08 PM
bayou barataria
Posting Guru

The k and n filter I had worked o.k. , it was just a pain to take it out and clean it then spray their oil on it, it just wasn't cost effective to me, I drive very day all day long.in my business.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:05 PM
rickf92592
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I repeat:
Are you sure about that?
K&N is a family owned business just up the road from me in Riverside, California.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:29 PM
N4TECguy
Senior User
If a member reads this and does not want to buy their product because of one post or issue...that is wrong, pick up the phone and CALL...find out what is going on, will they stand behind the product or not....don't listen to people who have never dealt with the company...they have NO clue.
Because if I were a company that wanted your money, I would absolutely tell you that I don't do refunds for defective products. I would tell you that if your crap fails within the warranty period, well, caveat emptor. Have you ever called a company and expected them to tell you "nahhh our warranty is bogus dudeeee buy xyz's product instead they're frikkin awesome!"

And who is it exactly that has never dealt with the company? As far as I can tell, I'm listening to a credible person who has dealt with the owner of the company as well as their products. You also confirmed it by your posts.

I would suggest to you...try and find a resolution to this, call again and try...it does not cost a penny in this day and age to try and work it out...should it take this long...NO....but figure out if you can find something you would like from them.
You obviously read the post or know about the situation since you implied that this individual spoke with Todd and that it was "resolved." It does not cost a penny to make it work out, but should a good company make you run around chasing people only to get an unsatisfactory result up to this point? I mean, pretty clear to me that after seeing this thread and even after getting the owner of a $50m/yr revenue business involved, and there's still no happy ending - there probably won't ever be one. So I really have to wonder why you keep defending Recon, or what your connection is with them, since you mentioned the owner by name.

No we do not need to modify the guidelines, members need ...not to say anything if they have have not experienced issues with the product (how in the world could you believe anyone who has not used the item and try to speak about it)...they need to stay out of condemning something they have never tired...called a moral compass...you have direct contact then by ALL mans speak up

...this I heard from a buddy who had a friend who heard....doesn't get it.
The internet is for sharing experiences. It's the readers job to filter out the "I have a buddy who has a friend who worked on someones car who said tic-tac puts poison in their mints." If nobody believes people who haven't had direct contact, then what's the harm in having them talk? You (not you personally) try to silence enough people, and you end up missing some important experiences and pieces of information.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:21 AM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Received 228 Likes on 62 Posts
The internet is for sharing experiences. It's the readers job to filter out the "I have a buddy who has a friend who worked on someones car who said tic-tac puts poison in their mints." If nobody believes people who haven't had direct contact, then what's the harm in having them talk? You (not you personally) try to silence enough people, and you end up missing some important experiences and pieces of information.
TIC-TAC poisons there mints? WE MUST TELL THE WORLD.
TO THE TIC TAC FORUM!

I dealt with a local company in my hometown, who assured me they would take care of me (stereo components). Long story short I BASH THAT BASS-TURD EVERY CHANCE I GET! He still has $1,200 of mine, but he is outta buisness now! Why dont they just refund CASH? They had NO problems taking it. Store credits from someone you already dont trust/like is a horrible idea, they just want you to go away, they keep the money! I was hoping Recon was stand up, as I was gonna outfit my 06 superduty witt all they had, (i like the smoked look). Look elswhere I guess!<!-- / message -->

Quick Reply: DO NOT BUY_RECON PRODUCTS!!