6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Crankcase Vent Seperator Re-Route

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Brian Uhlenhake
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pictures:

First Pic: CCV intake port capped off

Second Pic: CCV rerouted around the oil fill tube. Note the harness connector in question at the 6 o'clock position (inside tab connector attaches to is plastic - i.e. no sensor no wire terminals ==> dummy connector or place holder for now)

Third Pic: CCV rerouted through wiring harness on driver side (zip tied to steel line up top), then behind front wheel shroud, and finally zip tied to front body mount. (Note angle cut at end with opening towards back...just in case any moisture from CCV decides to build up it won't plug the hose)

Attached Images    
Old 01-26-2011, 07:23 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am out of town tomorrow but if it is halfway nice out Friday I will bite the bullet. It is all about the team...

Old 01-26-2011, 09:38 PM
Brian Uhlenhake
Senior User
Thanks Ricatic!

I'm betting their might be just a slight film of oil, but not much.

Probably easiest to have a step stool or something to get your body in a position to reach in from the front wheel driverside.

Reach in with right hand and turn the grey collar CCW. If the CCV tube stays put you only have to turn about 1/8" as the inside of the grey collar has little tabs with ramps which ride up on slots inside the CCV tube thus disengaging them from the slot on the intake CCV nipple...does that make sense?

Doing this while trying not to fall into the engine bay or off the stool.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:35 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Interesting....I have the 6.4 but am watching as a new 6.7 will be in my future in a couple years.

the 6.4 has the tube running from the fill spout into the intake. This is a much different design.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:56 AM
Brian Uhlenhake
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
Interesting....I have the 6.4 but am watching as a new 6.7 will be in my future in a couple years.

the 6.4 has the tube running from the fill spout into the intake. This is a much different design.
Essentially the same thing - crankcase venting to intake. I haven't seen the 6.4 engine bay so not sure if the "seperator" system is similar or not.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:26 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't understand the value of this mod...

the intent of the system is to keep engine byproducts off the road.

Sam

Old 01-27-2011, 08:03 AM
Brian Uhlenhake
Senior User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
I don't understand the value of this mod...

the intent of the system is to keep engine byproducts off the road.

Sam
If, and I state if oil film gets in intake it will foul your compressor wheels, the seperate circuit aftercooler, and inake tracts to cylinder...all of which degrade performance and fuel economy.

These by-products have an insignificant effect on the road or environment but can have a substantial impact on performance and fuel economy.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:05 AM
wisner45
Junior User
Will this Mod, have any affect on the engine warranty ?.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:24 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Uhlenhake
If, and I state if oil film gets in intake it will foul your compressor wheels, the seperate circuit aftercooler, and intake tracts to cylinder...all of which degrade performance and fuel economy.

These by-products have an insignificant effect on the road or environment but can have a substantial impact on performance and fuel economy.
substantial impact on performance.?! 30 years ago maybe.. not anymore..
and not like the engineers never took this into account. this is not a carb with jets to foul.

whatever..

Sam

Old 01-27-2011, 08:33 AM
Brian Uhlenhake
Senior User
Sam,

I'm a mechanical engineer - specialized in internal combustion engines with many years in research and diesel engine development (machine, marine, petroleum, industrial, EPG, and on-highway).

I'm am just stating my objective position based on this experience. Or more conservatively stated IMHO.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Let me see, oil in the crankcase gets hot, creating hot oil vapor, that flows through a tube outside of our nice warm engine. As the vapor cools in the tube, it condenses out on the walls of the tube that runs into our tubro. The oil that collects on the wall of the tube then migrates into the turbo and coats all of its internal parts with an oily goo. Yea!
Great mod. Brian! It's on this weekends to-do list.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:59 PM
Brian Uhlenhake
Senior User
Tomahawk,

Thanks. The only semi difficult part of this is connecting the new hose to existing CCV fitting. I just built up the hose with electrical tape pressed it into the CCV fitting and then ran electrical tape around joint until I was satisfied with joint integrity (in hindsight I should have used wide tape). Should take less than 1 hour.

Cheers

Old 01-27-2011, 06:50 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
you forgot about its function for egr flow. that little ventury in the intake that the spinning turbo pulls air accross to make a vacuum. that wouldnt effect crankcase scavaging or casue oil leaks, because the op had a magnehelic hooked up and tested befor and after right?

Old 01-27-2011, 07:46 PM
Big-Sarge
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am still lost in this thread....I don't want "Oil goo" in my turbo.....but if Epic doesn't tell me to do it...I am NOT doing it!

Old 01-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Brian Uhlenhake
Senior User
Originally Posted by cheezit
you forgot about its function for egr flow. that little ventury in the intake that the spinning turbo pulls air accross to make a vacuum. that wouldnt effect crankcase scavaging or casue oil leaks, because the op had a magnehelic hooked up and tested befor and after right?
I don't believe they put the EGR on the low pressure side of the intake...that wouldn't be good.

Yes the turbo should pull a vaccum on this line.

No, I did not put a magnehelic on.

And the answer to my other question, "is there oil vapor?", yes I pulled the CCV off and ran engine and their is vapor...must still be trying to seat rings (I only have 150 miles on the engine).

Also, I change the mod and will post pictures later tonight --> much cleaner install now.

Brian

Quick Reply: Crankcase Vent Seperator Re-Route