2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Tire pressure sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Maxsplat
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire pressure sensor question

I just bought an '07 Eddie Expedition that has this sensor system on it. I was thinking of getting a second set of tires (one set for snowy weather months and one set for the summer months). Do these sensors need to be synced to the truck in any way? Thanks for your help!

Old 01-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Harley Guy
Freshman User
Numerous posts on TPSs. And yes - you will either have to switch sensors back and forth between the wheels or buy another set of sensors(best solution) and reprogram each time you switch tires. I just posted an extensive post on this topic. Just do a search on "TPMS".

B/R,
RP

Old 01-21-2011, 05:33 PM
chuck s
Elder User
The sensors are in the wheels. Swapping tires won't affect them at all.

-- Chuck

Old 01-21-2011, 08:04 PM
Maxsplat
New User
Originally Posted by Harley Guy
Numerous posts on TPSs. And yes - you will either have to switch sensors back and forth between the wheels or buy another set of sensors(best solution) and reprogram each time you switch tires. I just posted an extensive post on this topic. Just do a search on "TPMS".

B/R,
RP
Thanks Harley Guy! I just read about your aftermarket sensors and may be making that switch soon. I just bought my '07 Expy about a week or 2 ago.
Completely stock with the 20" chrome clad wheels. The Expy has been having the same tire pressure sensor fault warning since day one. The dealership I bought it from is taking it to a ford dealership to fix but after reading the one thread I'm not too hopeful. I may get them to replace the stock sensors with the after market ones you listed.

Just so I understand your answer to my original question. If I get a second set of wheels (which will probably be a set like the ones I have now), when I put them on I'll have to reprogram the computer in the Expy correct? The process looks a little complicated. Did you have to train the system for tire rotation as well?

Edit: I'm pretty sure the wheels are the stock ones. I'm not able to tell since I'm not the original owner.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:43 AM
Harley Guy
Freshman User
Maxsplat - yes, you will have to reprogram the sensors to the SJB when you put on the other set of tires. Evidently when you put on a new wheel, the sensor communicates data to the SJB in the truck. Don't know exactly what or how much data but evidently enough so the when you put on one of the previously installed wheels that was programmed to the truck you will have to reprogram it. The SJB must "dump" the data from the previous programmed wheels on reprogramming.

On my truck I gave away the 20" chrome clad wheels and just run the 20" F150 wheels/tires now and don't switch back and forth anymore. I have 2 sets of wheels/tires for my Corvette and when I switch those around I have to reprogram also.

The reprogramming process is not as complicated as it sounds by reading the instructions. The hardest part I found was the switchology to get into the "learn" mode. Once you do that it's just a matter of walking around to each wheel (starting with LF and going clockwise) an clicking the button on the little fob prgramming tool. Literally, 5 minute process.

On tire rotation you do not have to reprogram. The system is sophisticated but not so that it will recognize the rotation. The SJB is just looking for 4 sensors that it "knows" that are transmitting.

Important to note that prior to reprogramming, the truck has to be driven to "wake up" the sensors and you should have you tires to your desired running pressure (I personally run mine at 35 PSI).

Hope this clarifies my previous post. Heck - don't know where you live but if it's anywhere close to Southern Maryland come on over and I'll show you the process!

B/R,
RP

Last edited by Harley Guy; 01-22-2011 at 06:45 AM. Reason: spelling edit
Old 01-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Maxsplat
New User
Thanks Harley! I really appreciate it. I'm in Westminster. more or less Central MD. Got a close buddy that lives in Southern MD that I need to visit so next trip down I'll hit ya up. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Old 01-22-2011, 07:04 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
This is the tool for syncing the sensors to a Ford truck.
It should come with the truck.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
It is a little bit larger than the key fob.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Maxsplat
New User
Shorebird where would I find it on the truck? Since I bought mine used it may be gone for good.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:46 PM
ganzey
Senior User
if you dont have the tool most shops will do it for little to no charge. we do it for $10 but only really charge depending on the customer (IE: total jerk who is impatient get charged, polite guy gets it free lol)

Old 01-23-2011, 05:40 AM
Harley Guy
Freshman User
The little reprogrammer iin the pic only comes with F250s and larger trucks as standard equipment. You can buy them on that "auction" site or order from your Ford dealer. I bought mine from tascaford.com using the part number in my previous post - bout $35 if I remember correctly.

Sure makes it easy - just put your truck into the reprogramming mode, put the little fob sized tool next to the valve stem (assuming you've switched over to the stem type TPS), click the button, horn beeps, walk to the next tire and repeat until all 4 tires are done. This little tool will also work with the OEM band type sensors.

Maxsplat - you're welcome anytime! I'm about 35 miles south of Waldorf, MD near NAS Patuxent River Naval Air Station.

B/R,
RP

Old 01-23-2011, 06:30 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
When I bought my '08 F-150 the tool was missing from the glove box.
As the owners manual said it was to be in the vehicle I asked the dealer to get me one.
They had to order it and I picked it up a couple of days later.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:22 PM
Maxsplat
New User
Originally Posted by Harley Guy
The little reprogrammer iin the pic only comes with F250s and larger trucks as standard equipment. You can buy them on that "auction" site or order from your Ford dealer. I bought mine from tascaford.com using the part number in my previous post - bout $35 if I remember correctly.

Sure makes it easy - just put your truck into the reprogramming mode, put the little fob sized tool next to the valve stem (assuming you've switched over to the stem type TPS), click the button, horn beeps, walk to the next tire and repeat until all 4 tires are done. This little tool will also work with the OEM band type sensors.

Maxsplat - you're welcome anytime! I'm about 35 miles south of Waldorf, MD near NAS Patuxent River Naval Air Station.

B/R,
RP
Thanks Harley! The dealership I bought the truck from has to take it to Ford to get the sensors checked. If they can't fix it I'm going to suggest that they replace the system with the valve stem one you are suggesting. I've been seeing some posts about issues with the system on '07s. As for my second set of tires, I'll need to wait a little on that for now. I'm just wondering for my future plans. I'm hoping next year will allow me to do it. Just depends on $$$$

I really appreciate your help on this!