1977 crewcab cummins build - Page 34 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

1977 crewcab cummins build

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-22-2015, 11:12 PM
Senior User

77_crew is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1975 View Post
Hi, I am in the process of doing a 4wd swap on a 79 Crew. I know you have to lift the truck to clear the cross member, but was wondering if I need 5-6 inches of lift? Also, do you happen to know the height from the bottom of cab to the ground? Thanks in advance and you have built yourself a beautiful truck.
Hi ranger, I ended up with around 5 1/2" - 6" of lift and my Dana 60 clears the crossmember with lots of room. If you didn't want to go that high you have a couple options. One would be to remove the crossmember completely and fab up a custom one, but you might also be into fabing new engine mounts at the same time. Another is to cut the bottom of the existing crossmember and reinforce it as more of a low profile crossmember to get the clearance you need. And if i remember correctly the the rear of the crossmember is really close to missing the front of the differential so you might just have to modify the rear of the crossmember. Hope that helps. Unfortunately my crew is in storage at the moment so i can't get you the cab measurement you want. It does sit pretty high though. I am suppose to go do a little portable weld job for the guy who is storing it for me in the new year so maybe i can get a measurement when i'm there. Good luck.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...ter-truck.html
Old 12-22-2015, 11:17 PM
Senior User

Actually, now that i think of it, My cab measures 7' 2 1/2" to the top of my cab lights. I had to mesure it to make sure it would fit inside buddy's storage barn. My cab lights are around 2 1/2" tall so i think i can say the top of my cab is 7' off the ground, rolling on around 6" of lift with 37" tires. Now all you have to do is measure the height of your ford cab and subtract it from 7' and that's your answer..
Old 12-23-2015, 12:56 AM
Posting Guru

hivoltj is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Shifter looks cool as does the truck. Is it comfortable? I hope u trust your buddy cuz I could see that serial number being run on that shotty if you get stopped.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:12 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivoltj View Post
Shifter looks cool as does the truck. Is it comfortable? I hope u trust your buddy cuz I could see that serial number being run on that shotty if you get stopped.
Wow, long time since I've checked this thread. Yes the shifter is comfortable, it sits just perfect. its been machined so much and welded up so that other than looking like a firearm, its nowhere near a functioning gun. It will be interesting though the first time i get pulled over with it.

Speaking of the big crew, i had to go fire it up the other day at the storage barn so that a guy could pull a boat out that i was blocking in. i never even unhooked the battery in the fall. held the pre heaters for 10 seconds, cranked er and she fired right up in about one revolution like always!! Awesome. it is sitting out side the storage building now at my buddies farm and i am planning to go pick it up in the morning and bringing it back to the shop.

I have a list of things i want to do to it before i drive it this season.
I had a slight mishap with a trailer at the end of the season last year so it had to go for some paint work on the one box side before it went into storage (stupid me, but glad its fixed now). So that means i have to re-install the chrome trim on the one box side.

I also have a small coolant leak that is coming from the plate that bolts to the side of the block. I have known about this for sometime and it never caused me any issues, just a slight drip every once in a while, but i want to fix this properly.

My steering box input shaft has also had a slow leak so i picked up a seal for that too.

The other thing is my front 60 has had a slight camber out on the passenger side tire. Its hard to notice but its there and it bothers me. just before i put the truck away i started to notice some wear on the outside of my front passenger tire so this has to be addressed as well. I did pop the top king pin cap off at some point last fall to see if i could adjust the plastic bushing but it didn't look like i could. so i plan on digging into this as well. Maybe its a king pin problem, maybe its a spindle problem.i'm not sure.

Have any of you guys ever had a camber problem with a king pin dana 60?

I can't wait to get out an jam gears in the old girl again!! Although my other highboy has been scratching my old ford itch for the last 6 months.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:43 AM
Elder User

Scot is starting off with a positive reputation.
Re camber.

There are 2 solutions that I am aware of and and have used. One is a plastic or metal wedge that goes under the spindle and is available in a number of different angles. I have been running this for several years and am happy with the results.

The other is an adjustable lower kingpin such as the Moog K992. In theory this would be an ideal repair but my experience is that they frequently worked themselves loose and it seemed like every time I looked out at the truck it would have -2* of camber with resulting toe changes and tire wear to match. One broke and I replaced it and made sure it was torqued to spec using a torque wrench. A few months later it was laying down again. The only way it might work is to get under there and re-torque them every 2500 miles or so. That's not going to happen.

Don't discount bent spindles. I replaced mine and it got one side in spec.

Also look at the knuckles for problems. The top of my left one along with the steering arm broke off last week in a parking lot about 5 minutes after I got off of the 70mph freeway. God is good! I put nearly 200K on it and who knows what its history was prior but it appeared to have a lot of miles and wear.
'02 Ranger getting a VW ALH TDI in progress.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:46 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post
Re camber.

There are 2 solutions that I am aware of and and have used. One is a plastic or metal wedge that goes under the spindle and is available in a number of different angles. I have been running this for several years and am happy with the results.

The other is an adjustable lower kingpin such as the Moog K992. In theory this would be an ideal repair but my experience is that they frequently worked themselves loose and it seemed like every time I looked out at the truck it would have -2* of camber with resulting toe changes and tire wear to match. One broke and I replaced it and made sure it was torqued to spec using a torque wrench. A few months later it was laying down again. The only way it might work is to get under there and re-torque them every 2500 miles or so. That's not going to happen.

Don't discount bent spindles. I replaced mine and it got one side in spec.

Also look at the knuckles for problems. The top of my left one along with the steering arm broke off last week in a parking lot about 5 minutes after I got off of the 70mph freeway. God is good! I put nearly 200K on it and who knows what its history was prior but it appeared to have a lot of miles and wear.
Great response Scot! Thanks! You answered a lot of questions i had. I was thinking along the same lines you were about shimming the spindle if required. I was not aware that there was shims commercially available. Any idea where i could source these? I also thought that if i had to i could set up my spindle in my mill and machine the bolt face to a slight angle. I like the sound of the shims better. I also have never hear of the adjustable lower kingpins, but by the sounds of things i want to avoid them.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:02 PM
Senior User

Click the image to open in full size.

Home at last! she fired right up again today with no issues! Man it felt good to jam some gears again! Now i can get to work on er! It's funny how you don't realize how much you missed something until you hop back in it and take er down the road!
Old 04-26-2016, 09:02 AM
Elder User

highntight has a great reputation on FTE.highntight has a great reputation on FTE.highntight has a great reputation on FTE.highntight has a great reputation on FTE.
Looking nice as always sir, I know the feeling except mine was the first ride ever since I bought the truck. 5 years later I put 4 miles on her lol gonna post a pic in the crew cab section.

72 f350 crew cab long bed cummins
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...d-cummins.html
Old 04-26-2016, 05:08 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by highntight View Post
Looking nice as always sir, I know the feeling except mine was the first ride ever since I bought the truck. 5 years later I put 4 miles on her lol gonna post a pic in the crew cab section.
That's awesome man! Betchya it felt awesome after all this time! Soon you'll be cruising in it all the time! Your truck is dead sexy man! I love the color!
Old 04-26-2016, 05:10 PM
Senior User

Quick update, no progress yet, but it did get the steering box input seal and sourced those camber shims through my buddy a NAPA. Hoping to get to the shop this week and get some stuff done.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:37 AM
Senior User

tonymontanna1983 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Time for another update, please
Old 09-03-2016, 10:29 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymontanna1983 View Post
Time for another update, please
Ok boys and girls update time. Sorry it's been so long since my last update. As we all know sometimes life gets in the way, and truth be told, I've been spending lots of time putting lots of miles on the crew.

As far a work done to the truck:
-Coolant system disassembled and leak fixed.
-Steering box ended up having more problems than just a leaky seal. The housing was damaged so i ended up swapping in another saginaw box from an early 80's dodge truck. Good to go.
-I also painted the valve covers (finally)

I haven't yet dealt with my camber issue, but i need to soon because i'm getting noticeable wear on my front passenger side tire. I'm having a hard time sourcing the shims up here so i might have to order one from the states or make up my own.

I also have made a set of longer front shackles for the front springs of my truck. The truck handles pretty good, but seems a little darty sometimes. I am kinda curious if i don't quite have enough caster on the front axle. I've played around a bit with custom motorcycle frames in the past, so i understand caster and trail and the different effects. I did some math, and for every 1/2" i add to the bolt hole centers on my shackle links, it will give me approximately 1 degree of caster. So saying that, my current shackle links have a bolt center of 3 5/8", and the new set i made have a bolt center of 4 3/8". This should give me 1 1/2 more degrees of caster. I have the new links made and painted, but i haven't installed them yet. I might have to adjust me toe in/out a bit after i install them too and this might even help my camber problem slightly. This will be an experiment and i'll let you guys know how it works out.

Now i have some pics for you guys. some good some kinda crappy and i apologize. My phone lens is cracked.

I have also been spreading the Old Ford Disease to some of my buddies and the parking lot at work is starting to look dead sexy

Valve covers painted...sorry about the finger

The big Crew and the highboy just hanging out.

The crew at home with my wing man guarding our prize possession!

My buddies 1977 supercab. Built 460, C6, 2wd.

My buddies 76 crew, 390, c6 2wd. Same guy has a 78 crew long box 4x4 with cummins swap. He used dodge drive train and has a service body on the back.

Just two weeks ago my buddy and i picked up this beauty for him. 74 highboy, 428 cobra jet, 4 gear, and came with a set of dana 60's in the box. It will be a nice truck when he's done.

The crew just hauled home another future project too. 75 VW bug that my dad wants to turn into a baja bug...and potentially a Class 5 race car to run in the baja 1000 sometime in the future...got to have projects eh!

Also the crew will finally be getting used for what i built it for...Family hauler. The wife will be popping out our first in early December so we are pretty excited. I think the crew will look good with a car seat in the back, hopefully the dog doesn't mind him/her infringing on his territory..lol!!!

That's all for now!! I'll try to update again once i start the work on my front end! Cheers!

Harrison
Old 09-17-2016, 10:29 AM
Senior User

Ok update time!

I decided to put the crew in the shop for a few days to give it a rest from all the miles I've been putting on it and to address a few issues that have been needing attention for a while.

I am going to replace the thin walled flew pipe on my exhaust with something a little more robust. It cracked a few months ago, I welded it (pain in the *** being so thin) and now its almost cracked right off again. I haven't started this yet.

First off I decided to tear into my passenger side front hub assembly to see if I can see the cause of my camber issue. It came apart with no problems and I couldn't see any issues. The spindle isn't worn and there was nothing causing the spindle to not sit true with the knuckle. It looks like I need a shim, but I have been having a hard time sourcing a shim up here, and all the ones I've found there is no guarantee that it will fit the ford 5 bolt spindle pattern.

I finally said "F*** IT!!" and decided to make my own shim.

All apart. When i originally rebuilt the axle the original brake dust shields were very rotten. I didn't have any spares, so i cut off everything except the flange and i installed it with the spindle assembly in case it was needed to keep everything shimmed out the proper distance. Luckily i did because now i have the perfect template for my camber shim.

So i broke out my homemade redneck circle cutter for my plasma. Its made from an old boston gearbox with a crank handle and a fixture to hold the plasma torch. It works great!

Perfect circle!

I then layed out the bolt pattern and drilled it.

I then tack welded the ring to a piece of 1 1/4" plate that i had laying around.

I did a bunch of math and figured out that if i wanted to move my 37" tire in a 1/4" that i needed an approximately 3/8 of a degree shim. That worked out to be about a 0.041" taper on my particular shim. I put a piece or .035 mig wire on the one side of the vise to get me close, then using the dial indicator i tapped it around till i had a 0.041" difference.

it machined up pretty good until the last pass when a chip caught in two different spots and kinda tore up the paper tin side. Oh well it will still work fine. I cut of the on damaged section...

Went back together great, but this is as far as i got it. it will be interesting to see the difference once i get the hub and the tire back on...more to come.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:58 PM
Elder User

somethingclever has a great reputation on FTE.somethingclever has a great reputation on FTE.somethingclever has a great reputation on FTE.somethingclever has a great reputation on FTE.somethingclever has a great reputation on FTE.
Nice work!!
Old 09-18-2016, 12:51 AM
Postmaster

co425 is a name known to allco425 is a name known to allco425 is a name known to allco425 is a name known to allco425 is a name known to allco425 is a name known to all
Nice work. My Dana 60 front has this issue as well. It wears the outside of my tires way more than the rest. Seems to be a characteristic of the way a Dana 60 turns.

1974 F250 4X4
Cummins 12v, NV4500 , np205, Dana 60 Front, GM 14 bolt rear.
Cummins swap/truck upgrade thread
http://m.ford-trucks.com/forums/show....php?t=1181279
LIBERALISM IS PESTILENCE!!!