Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

1977 crewcab cummins build

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 12:06 AM
highntight
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I luv seeing this truck come together... Very cool sir, Speaker boxes look like good quality units... I'm close behind ya, and cant wait to cruise a little bit....

Old 06-26-2015, 05:12 PM
77_crew
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by highntight
I luv seeing this truck come together... Very cool sir, Speaker boxes look like good quality units... I'm close behind ya, and cant wait to cruise a little bit....
Thanks man, its been well worth the five years of hard work!! You'll be there with your sweet ride soon!

On a little update note, not much has changed other than putting some miles on it. I've only had to work on it once and it was a pain in the A$$ job...I was headed up to the hunting camp one weekend to continue our brand new hunting camp build, and i thought i better check the oil before i left...well, the oil level was about an inch over the full line and reaked of diesel fuel...not good. the shaft seal on my injector pump was shot and was pumping diesel into my crank case....so just like a couple mounths ago, off comes the injection pump, install $23 shaft seal, re-install pump, and change oil and filter...Good to go once again!

Let this be a lesson to any cummins guys out there..If you have your pump off for any reason like changing a couple o-rings, change to input shaft seal too, or else you might just have the wonderful task of pulling the pump amonth later!!

I should have known better!!

Old 07-09-2015, 09:52 AM
bryanmartin
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may have missed it, but what is your wheel/tire combo, i.e. sizes?

Old 07-10-2015, 04:01 PM
77_crew
Elder User
Originally Posted by bryanmartin
I may have missed it, but what is your wheel/tire combo, i.e. sizes?
I'm running 37-12.5 R17 Cooper STTs with 4.10 gears....

Old 08-21-2015, 12:02 PM
77_crew
Elder User
Hey guys, its been a while since I've been on here so i thought i'd give you a little update. The crew is working great, no complaints at all. I've been putting the miles on her and i'm getting around 20 mpg which i don't think is bad at all. Not too many big heavy trucks around here rolling on 37's getting 20 mpg. I also got the bed liner sprayed in last week. I went with Line-X and it turned out great. You can't see any of the patches i welded in the box floor at all. I didn't go over the box side rails, but i did have them go over the tailgate a bit.

Right now i have the rad pulled out of the truck. I noticed a bit of a wet spot under the truck the other day, and after a little investigating i notice that there was a split at the seam of the top reservoir. I probably could have messed around and soldered it myself, but i am getting married next week so my spare time is dedicated to getting ready for that, and the ol' lady wants to take a bunch of pics with the truck at the wedding...so i dropped the rad off at a local rad shop and its suppose to be done by today.

Here's a pic i took from our new hunting camp a couple weeks ago...

Here's some pics of the bed liner.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:27 PM
nutter3
More Turbo
Received 250 Likes on 159 Posts
Looks great!

Old 08-21-2015, 01:25 PM
somethingclever
Cargo Master
Received 188 Likes on 135 Posts
good thing you got the truck finished before the wedding....after the kids come the wrench time goes down exponentially.

20mpg - is that verified against a correct speedo, or atleast a speedo with a known correction factor?

that is really good...

Old 08-21-2015, 02:51 PM
77_crew
Elder User
Originally Posted by somethingclever
good thing you got the truck finished before the wedding....after the kids come the wrench time goes down exponentially.

20mpg - is that verified against a correct speedo, or atleast a speedo with a known correction factor?

that is really good...
Ha ha, that's what everyone says about getting married and getting the kid program on the move...

The number i'm using is with my speedo, which is out, but i have used my gps as well as some road side radar signs to know where my actual speed is. then with a little math i can figure it out.

When my speedo is at 48 mph i'm actually doing 60 mph.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:45 AM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by somethingclever
YUP!!! Unfortunately I know this 1st hand as my truck sits after not being touched for 6 months or so. I am pretty jealous you are driving & enjoying yours. Wish I would have finished mine before marriage & the kid but oh well. Checking back in here after being away for 5-6 months has me a bit inspired though

Old 10-14-2015, 01:52 AM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754
YUP!!! Unfortunately I know this 1st hand as my truck sits after not being touched for 6 months or so. I am pretty jealous you are driving & enjoying yours. Wish I would have finished mine before marriage & the kid but oh well. Checking back in here after being away for 5-6 months has me a bit inspired though
Damn dude! I thought you dropped off the face of the earth.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:54 AM
somethingclever
Cargo Master
Received 188 Likes on 135 Posts

I have kid 3 due around Christmas - thinking about selling my crew because I don't have enough time to get it where I want it..and it just sits most of the time.

Well that and I don't have enough time also finish my supercab dump truck project, much less all the other projects I seem to accumulate.

Anyway...I really want 77crew's truck...if I got 20mpg I would be more interested in keeping mine...tough to really drive it and use it at 10mpg.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:57 AM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm glad to see you still on the planet too Chase! I've been working out of town for the last 4 years so have done nothing on my '78 F150 4BT. Hoping to get started on it shortly!

Old 10-16-2015, 01:47 PM
77_crew
Elder User
Life always seems to get in the way of getting stuff done in a timely manner. No kids for me yet, but i imagine they aren't too far away. Lots of my buddies always say to me that i need to get my projects done before i have kids because after that i won't have any time... problem is my project list never seems to get any shorter...the latest project i picked up a couple months ago is a big block jet boat from the mid 70's...so i guess when the time comes i'll have to get a play pen for in the shop

On that note, not much to report on the crew. Getting ready to put it away before the winter. The 20 mpg was my best, but i haven't been watching it lately. I'd say that my average is around 18 mpg which is still pretty good in my mind. I've started to work on my highboy winter truck again and am hoping to have it on the road in time for the deer hunt. So when i'm rocking the 460 down the road i'm sure 18 mpg in the crew will be looking really good! Maybe it might spark another cummins swap in the new year since i have one sitting on my garage floor!!

Old 12-14-2015, 08:50 AM
ford_pickup
Elder User
Good god this truck is more beautiful every time I look at this thread, a real motivator

Old 12-14-2015, 03:30 PM
Ranger1975
Freshman User
Hi, I am in the process of doing a 4wd swap on a 79 Crew. I know you have to lift the truck to clear the cross member, but was wondering if I need 5-6 inches of lift? Also, do you happen to know the height from the bottom of cab to the ground? Thanks in advance and you have built yourself a beautiful truck.

Quick Reply: 1977 crewcab cummins build