Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

1977 crewcab cummins build

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 10:20 PM
77_crew
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a whole lot to update guys, but i'm finally caught up at the shop and am able to get back to work on the crew.

Sorry in advance for no pics, but i'll get back on the pic program soon.

I installed the speedo cable the other day. The only thing i need for it now is the little foam thing that acts as a grommet at the fire wall. i'm sure i can steal one of one of my parts trucks.

The front signal lights are installed in the grill. I decided to go with the amber 76-77 style ones, even though i am using the earlier 73-75 grill inserts.

Today i installed about 50% of the chrome trim on the drivers side.

Today i also installed a new door hinge spring on the front drivers door. It was a small thing that got over looked when the truck was all apart, so i had the fun of struggling to install a new one with the door and fender on the truck.

Still waiting on the window guy to show up to install the front and rear glass. But saying that, i took a closer look at my rear slider and it is need of some repair. There is not much left of the lower felt track and the upper one isn't much better. I have 4 other sliders on my collection, but none of them were better that the one out of the crew, so i decided to dissect it...I took it all apart and got what as left of the old felt out.

Its difficult to find parts for these sliders so if anyone has info/tricks/ or tips for me i'm all ears....

I thought about using a piece of window felt, the one that goes in the track on the vent window. I took an old one that i had and it seems that it will fit in the groove and the glass would slide in it, but the one i was experimenting with was so rotten and fragile it soon fell apart.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:46 PM
77_crew
Elder User
A small update. I finally have a front window in the truck!

The window guy showed up on Friday and i helped him throw the window in. It went in without a problem, and now that i have seen/helped a professional do it i'm pretty confident that i could install the next one myself. I had a bad experience trying to do a rear window a few years ago so i was a little gun shy of installing a front one.

And on the topic of a rear window, i was telling the window guy about trying to find parts for my factory rear window. He asked if i had considered a brand new rear window? I hadn't really thought about it because i thought that it would be a pricey item and i already had the factory slider. He said that he was sure he could order one that would fit that truck, he called his supplier, and told me he could get a brand new slider, with the black window frame and with smoked glass for $165 at his cost. I said do it!

So as of this wed i should have a NEW rear window installed that won't leak and with no rattles!

A couple a pics...nothing too exciting though.

a new windshield

just a side shot so you can see the new window and some of the drivers side chrome installed

I really need to invest in a new camera.

Next steps: finish chrome install, install visor above windshield, install the door weather stripping.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:09 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looking good.

Next exciting thing to watch come together is the interior.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:40 PM
TheStuffz
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I was going to do tinted out rear window but installer said another 2 buisness days + weekend of sitting there with no rear window so I went clear. Windows are not bad priced actually! The seal costs something though.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:36 AM
77_crew
Elder User
Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
Looking good.

Next exciting thing to watch come together is the interior.
Thanks! I hope that the interior goes a little faster than the exterior. My plan is to finish all the exterior stuff first, then get to the interior. I have my new vinyl floor spread out on my basement trying to let it flatten out for a while. I ordered a vinyl floor for a 2wd crew because my shifter is in a different location than stock so i'll have to cut it to fit.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:44 AM
77_crew
Elder User
Originally Posted by TheStuffz
I was going to do tinted out rear window but installer said another 2 buisness days + weekend of sitting there with no rear window so I went clear. Windows are not bad priced actually! The seal costs something though.
Ya i was surprised at the price too! I had bought a couple rear window gaskets for like 35 bucks or something from the bronco graveyard a couple years ago, but both of them got consumed from my 'bad' rear window installation experience on my other highboy. I just bought one locally from a shop that specializes in old truck parts (mainly chev, and i took some abuse while i was in there buying ford parts...) and i paid 70 bucks. I hope the new glass works out for me.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:00 AM
77_crew
Elder User
Ok, i've needed to give you guys an update for a while so here it is.

I've been picking away at the crew any time i get a chance.

First off, the back window looks great. I kinda miss the look of the old-school split slider window, but its growing on me.

I also got all of the chrome trim mounted on the drivers side, with the exception of the little upper piece that goes between the doors. I still have to finish making my own custom piece.

I also installed the visor above the windshield. I've always loved the look of visors on these dentside trucks. I also mocked up the front bumper. I bolted it on with two bolts, and keep holding up my set of bumperettes to see which look i like better. I always thought that i'd like the look of the bumberettes, but i kinda like the clean look without them too... not sure what i'll do yet. The bumberettes also don't fit the bumper profile 100% so i'll have to grind them a bit to make them fit if i want to use them.

Some pics...still need to invest in a better camera...

I also installed the weatherstripping on a couple of the doors. First i did the front passenger side door, and it went well. Then i did the drivers side rear door. It installed well, but the door barely wants to close...frustrating. It takes one hell of a slam to gt it closed, and i'm leaving it closed for a while to let the weatherstripping to "break in" for a while.

Now that the chrome trim is on i installed the taillights and the side marker lights too.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:06 AM
redroad
Lead Driver
Received 493 Likes on 411 Posts
Nice job, it's looking good

Old 10-19-2014, 03:47 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by redroad
Nice job, it's looking good
2X on this. Really starting to come together.

I also agree with "feeling" things out with regards to bumprettes. Some trucks look fantastic with them, others not so much. In the end, I think I'll end up doing the same as you and installing/un-installing lots of chrome on my truck to get the combination that looks the best for me.

I keep being asked "why are you buying chrome if you may not use it?" My response is always, "because I want options when I'm done my truck . It's not like I won't find another buyer for my spare chrome "

Old 10-20-2014, 01:23 PM
EP145
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 77_crew
Ok, i've needed to give you guys an update for a while so here it is.

I've been picking away at the crew any time i get a chance.

First off, the back window looks great. I kinda miss the look of the old-school split slider window, but its growing on me.

I also got all of the chrome trim mounted on the drivers side, with the exception of the little upper piece that goes between the doors. I still have to finish making my own custom piece.

I also installed the visor above the windshield. I've always loved the look of visors on these dentside trucks. I also mocked up the front bumper. I bolted it on with two bolts, and keep holding up my set of bumperettes to see which look i like better. I always thought that i'd like the look of the bumberettes, but i kinda like the clean look without them too... not sure what i'll do yet. The bumberettes also don't fit the bumper profile 100% so i'll have to grind them a bit to make them fit if i want to use them.

Some pics...still need to invest in a better camera...

I also installed the weatherstripping on a couple of the doors. First i did the front passenger side door, and it went well. Then i did the drivers side rear door. It installed well, but the door barely wants to close...frustrating. It takes one hell of a slam to gt it closed, and i'm leaving it closed for a while to let the weatherstripping to "break in" for a while.

Now that the chrome trim is on i installed the taillights and the side marker lights too.
I had the same problem with my weather stripping, what happened was I got it too tight on the top and caused the rubber to miss shape causing the door not latch. To fix this a you can carefully remove the stripping and reapply or move the strinker a little bit. I tried the leave the door closed thing and it didn't work.
Great looking truck.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:18 PM
77_crew
Elder User
Originally Posted by EP145
I had the same problem with my weather stripping, what happened was I got it too tight on the top and caused the rubber to miss shape causing the door not latch. To fix this a you can carefully remove the stripping and reapply or move the strinker a little bit. I tried the leave the door closed thing and it didn't work.
Great looking truck.
My only concern about moving the striker is that the door would stick out too far and causing the body lines not to line up...i may have to find the tight spot and hammer back the door seam a little....

Old 10-22-2014, 05:25 PM
77_crew
Elder User
Originally Posted by Aaron-71
2X on this. Really starting to come together.

I also agree with "feeling" things out with regards to bumprettes. Some trucks look fantastic with them, others not so much. In the end, I think I'll end up doing the same as you and installing/un-installing lots of chrome on my truck to get the combination that looks the best for me.

I keep being asked "why are you buying chrome if you may not use it?" My response is always, "because I want options when I'm done my truck . It's not like I won't find another buyer for my spare chrome "
Thanks Aaron-71, it is slowly coming together...I can almost see the end..

And just for the record, you can never have enough old ford chrome and other parts kicking around. Eventually you have enough to make a couple nice trucks and other guys are always looking for stuff. My problem is parting with it when the time comes. Its kind of an old ford hoarding disease....but i do like helping people out.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:47 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You don't need a new camera until this project is finished. Keep buying parts for the truck....way more important!!!!

Old 11-23-2014, 08:00 PM
highboyhouston
Junior User
Hey 77_crew, how's this project going? Any new updates for us?

Old 11-23-2014, 08:08 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I was looking at your rear window pics and noticed that you might spray in a bedliner. Looking back I wished Id have had them include the top edge of the tailgate. Would have made for less scratches if you try to carry something longer than 8 feet.

Quick Reply: 1977 crewcab cummins build