6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Airbags Installation VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 03:42 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by DK Farms
After seeing the first 8 minutes of Epic's video, I was ready to stand up and say NO WAY!!! Then he mentioned the fact that it took 6 hours and I felt alot better. My cousin asked me to help him install Firestone bags on his truck. I figured it would be a good training run because I wanted bags on my truck, too. We both have B&W hitches. The instructions were considerably lacking in clarity. Cuz and I are both farm boys with a better-than-average mechanical aptitude and at times we were scratching butts and heads at the same time. Had basically all the same problems that Disco Chicken outlined. We had to replace the 3/4" hitch frame bolt on the driver side with a longer one because there weren't enough threads showing after installing the bracket to consider it safe. We were also stymied by the fact that the bags weren't sitting level. He chose the manual inflate/deflate option. Took us 7 hours WITHOUT the compressor and manifold addition. This made me swear off on the Firestone product and I'm looking for something else that's not as complicated to install. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know.
DK - you aren't the first to fight with the instructions from Firestone. They were positively confusing with regards to the lower brackets and which hole to use. I ended up just making an educated decision and confirmed later that it was the correct one. Like most things though, it would take less than half the time the second time around. The airbags have performed really well though. I have only positive comments after the install. They work great.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:26 PM
DK Farms
Junior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would still entertain ideas on an alternative manufacturer that someone has had a positive experience with. Cuz says his bags have performed great, he hauls around 10,000 pounds worth of horses and trailer, even though the bladder looks a little mashed on the front side when he has them deflated to 5 pounds with no load.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:38 PM
sedwardson
Junior User
I've got a 6'' lift and want to install these. I think I need another spacer or bracket to go with the 2535 kit but can't seem to locate it. Anyone know what part number I should be looking for?

Old 06-26-2011, 02:40 PM
rljett
Junior User
Epic...just installed my airbags. I too have the B&W hitch so was hoping it would be as straight forward as you showed in the video. But I came across something you did not mention so not sure if it was just me or you edited that part out.

You mentioned you needed to remove the large nut on Hitch side plate on the passenger side...that this would be reused to hold the airbag upper bracket in place. This was just as you mentioned. But you made no mention of having to remove the entire hitch side plate on the driver side to access the screw holding the DEF bracket to the frame. It is this screw that is to be replaced with a bolt to hold the airbag upper bracket along with the DEF bracket. I was not prepared for that and had to remove the wheel in order to get enough leverage on my wrench to break those bolts free. Did you do something different for the driver side airbag upper bracket?

Some other notes for others attempting this install.

1. I did not jack my truck up for this. I did the install by climbing under with the tires resting on the ground. Not much room under there. I'm feeling it today. If you did mind working under the truck with just jack stands, I'd recommend it.

2. In Epic's video, he is using a ratchet style box wrench. That would make this install go by so much faster. I used a socket wrench for as much as I could then switched to a basic box wrench. There are a lot of extra thread on those bolts so you'll be there a while. If you can only invest in one size, 14 mm is what is used the most in this kit.

3. As for the height for the lower brackets, I used the mounting for "most 4x4's" from the directions and it worked fine. I have an FX4 but felt if I used that setting the bracket would be too tall.

4. If you do have a B&W hitch, you'll need a 1-1/8 socket to remove those massive nuts.

I did not spring for the compressor and just ran the lines out the back to my bumper. Tested with 50 psi and no leaks, which I'm happy about. I'm way to sore to want to climb back under today. Will be pulling my horse trailer in a few weeks...that will be the first time I get to try them out.

Question for anyone...since I do not have the compressor and will have to inflate manually, has anyone tried the portable co2 cartridges they sell for bicycles? They have canisters that can be loaded into an assembly that allows multiple uses off one canister versus single use. But I believe the air comes out very cold as it expands. Will that damage the nylon tubing running to the airbags, or the airbags themselves?

Last edited by rljett; 06-26-2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Error
Old 06-26-2011, 02:48 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by rljett
... But you made no mention of having to remove the entire hitch side plate on the driver side to access the screw holding the DEF bracket to the frame. It is this screw that is to be replaced with a bolt to hold the airbag upper bracket along with the DEF bracket. I was not prepared for that and had to remove the wheel in order to get enough leverage on my wrench to break those bolts free. Did you do something different for the driver side airbag upper bracket?
You're absolutely right, I did not mention that. It is an issue as you stated. I didn't have to remove the plate entirely though, I removed the farthest back bolt and just loosened the other a bit and had enough clearance to get the bracket bolt up in there. It was tight, but saved the hassle you described. Sorry 'bout that...

Also great tip on the ratcheting box end wrench. I kind of take those for granted now and wonder how I ever got along without them for so long.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:53 PM
rljett
Junior User
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
You're absolutely right, I did not mention that. It is an issue as you stated. I didn't have to remove the plate entirely though, I removed the farthest back bolt and just loosened the other a bit and had enough clearance to get the bracket bolt up in there. It was tight, but saved the hassle you described. Sorry 'bout that...

Also great tip on the ratcheting box end wrench. I kind of take those for granted now and wonder how I ever got along without them for so long.
Not a problem, just thought I'd throw that out there for the next person. Thanks for the confirmation though. Thought I was going crazy and came back in the house to rewatch your video.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:17 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The Co2 will not hurt the bags, but it will take too many to be cost effective. Unless there is a way to use something bigger than what I'm thinking about.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:02 PM
jstange2
Junior User
Thanks for the video Epic. I went with the same wireless on-board air kit after watching it. I went with airlift bags though.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:44 AM
RogerM
Junior User
Installed mine a couple of weeks ago with very little trouble. One thing I did was to remove the wheels and then the spare tire. Yes the which holes to use for the lower brackets is confusing. After removing the spare it was pretty easy to sit under the truck and that helped the process a lot.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:35 AM
DK Farms
Junior User

I know this is an old thread but I have a couple pertintent questions. Finally getting my airbags delivered today, albeit probably a little too late. A year of hauling near-capacity loads on rough roads has already taken a toll on the leaf springs. There is a definite sag now. Hopefully my install will go better than the one we did on my cousins truck. I ordered the compressor option, so where is the best place to get power for it? I have outfitter switches but would like to reserve those for future planned upgrades. Has anyone explored mounting the compressor under the hood and running the intake line inside the cab? Would the heat and oily dirt become a problem? Also, where did you mount the gauge and switch bracket? I don't want to rip it out with a size 11 everytime I get in and out of the truck but I don't want it look bad either. Thanks in advance if you have any suggestions. I plan on installing sometime next week and I'll update on the install.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:33 PM
KG6EPF
Senior User
I mounted my compressor and tank under the bed on the right rear and fed the intake line into the back of the cab.

For the gauges I mounted them in the center console pocket on the driver's side. I made a mounting box out of some fiberboard and some spraypaint (shoulda gone with black) and ended up not having to make any holes inside the truck.

Love my airbags. They leveled out the ride, put my headlights back on the road, and got rid of the chatter I got on takeoff with a heavy load.
Good luck

Old 11-12-2011, 08:54 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Off topic a bit--why did some of you opt to go with the B&W hitch instead of the 5th wheel attachment from the factory? ( the one Ford says can be removed when not needed)

Old 11-12-2011, 09:30 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
I probably would have gone with the OEM Reese if it would have been available when I ordered in 4/2010. In retrospect, turns out I really like the B&W and it's adjustable feature. I need the extra 2 inches of adjustment with my trailer. It's also easily installed by myself. I think the Reese is pretty heavy.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:20 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
What was the price of it and where did you get it?

Old 11-12-2011, 10:30 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
I honestly can't remember how much I paid. About $1,100ish for both the gooseneck and companion hitch? I got it through a local dealer (State Trailer Supply) who had to order them in. Took a few days. I think B&W distributes through hundreds of retail outlets.

Quick Reply: Airbags Installation VIDEO