6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Airbags Installation VIDEO

Old 03-14-2011, 07:14 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by porthole
For those with or considering the wireless kit.
There is an anomaly with the controller where occasionally it will get confused and not set the pressures correctly.

This will show up if you are adding - dumping air sometimes. I found it when adding air to raise the truck closer to the hitch and then dumping it right away.

When it happens one side will not dump, as you change the settings up and down you can end up with one bag full and one near empty.

Only way to get back to square one is to pop the hose off and dump the air manually.
Sounds like a warranty claim. No way I would put up with that. I have used them a fair bit and no problems like you describe.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:48 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
out of warranty

Old 03-15-2011, 09:26 AM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I thought the AirLift had a lifetime warranty? Anyways, I will be installing the WirelessAIR today after work, and then my airbags later in the week when they come in. Wish me luck..... Ill report back when I'm done.

Question though... Do you know what gauge wire that Air Lift used for the wiring on this job? I always like to run my ground directly to the battery and would like to have all my supplies before I start this job.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:00 PM
frt2599
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lexustbs
I thought the AirLift had a lifetime warranty? Anyways, I will be installing the WirelessAIR today after work, and then my airbags later in the week when they come in. Wish me luck..... Ill report back when I'm done.

Question though... Do you know what gauge wire that Air Lift used for the wiring on this job? I always like to run my ground directly to the battery and would like to have all my supplies before I start this job.
There are two grounds, one on the compressor and one on the manifold. Manifold is real thin, compressor is thicker, not sure of guage. I mounted mine above the spare tire. Just drop the tire and lots of room. The compressor on top of the mount and moniford and harness inside.. Here are some pics...

Attached Images    
Old 03-15-2011, 09:02 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Just got done with my compressor install tonight. WOW what a chore. The worst part was running the wires up to the cab for the power. They were too short to begin with, so i had to add some length. I ran my ingnition wire through the cab and attached it to the ign. wire from the SEIC bundle. I'm not a huge fan of the fuse box idea. One thing I forgot is to add the barrel fuse to that wire. Will that be a problem? But other than those problems, when I turned the key on there was like a 5 second delay then yahtzee! She started pumping. I dont have the bags yet so I just pulled the fuse on the power wire for now.

Few Questions....

1. How do you mount the head of the filter to the hose? That was the only stumper for me.

2. I forgot to add the barrel fuse for the ign. wire. Is that a huge deal?

3.Did you add antifreeze to your airbags before you installed them?

4. In the Firestone kit, were the bolts supplied in the kit grade 8?

Thanks.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:11 PM
frt2599
Senior User
Just got done with my compressor install tonight. WOW what a chore. The worst part was running the wires up to the cab for the power. They were too short to begin with, so i had to add some length. I ran my ingnition wire through the cab and attached it to the ign. wire from the SEIC bundle. I'm not a huge fan of the fuse box idea. One thing I forgot is to add the barrel fuse to that wire. Will that be a problem? But other than those problems, when I turned the key on there was like a 5 second delay then yahtzee! She started pumping. I dont have the bags yet so I just pulled the fuse on the power wire for now.

Few Questions....

1. How do you mount the head of the filter to the hose? That was the only stumper for me.

Thanks.
The head of the filter does not connect to the hose. The compressor hose connects to the manifold intake. The filter head connects to the other side of the compressor via an air line which you should run the air intake filter inside the cab so it stays clean and dry. Behind the driver side rear seat, take out the tire changing kit monuted on the floor. Pull up the carpeting and there is a hole next to the tire kit brace hole. You can run the air line though that hole and back to the compressor and attach to the compressor hose. Then connect the filter to the end in the cab.

I would add.. it's there for a reason.

I have not yet but plan to. You can really add it any time, you just need to disconnect the air hose and take the vaulve back out of the top of the air bag and pour it in.

Don't remember but believe so. You can tell if it has three marks on the top of the bolt...

Where did you mount the compressor and manifold?????

P.S. Air bag install is not too bad. The driver side is a pain with the tanks on that side....

Good luck.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:38 AM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Read the directions this morning and found out I was creating suction to the manifold. DUH. I thought that the black hose was your intake. No wonder it was not making sence to me. Working on a fix this morning. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Pimptorious
New User
Originally Posted by Big-Sarge
My wife asked me: "Why do you need every "Truck Toy" that Epic has!!!???"
Me: "Because it's cool honey!"
Wife: "But you don't even have a fifth wheel trailer!!!!!!"
Me: "I know...........but Epic has one!!"

Thanks brother!!
Awesome, pure awesome.

Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
I opted not to get the compressor, just going to run the lines into the fuel door as I won't be towing too much.

Just waiting on the rv dealer I ran into at the show to call...
Do you have any pics of your lines run to the gas door. I am going to the local shop in the AM to see if they have the bags in stock. If they do and they are not a ton more then Ebay I will buy them and install them at work tomorrow night, if not I will Ebay them and install them whenever they get here.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:15 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Pimptorious
Do you have any pics of your lines run to the gas door. I am going to the local shop in the AM to see if they have the bags in stock. If they do and they are not a ton more then Ebay I will buy them and install them at work tomorrow night, if not I will Ebay them and install them whenever they get here.
My 5er plans are on hold until the fall/winter so the bags are still in a box in my garage.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:09 AM
Pimptorious
New User
Hmm, well maybe I will post some pics for you, lol.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:57 PM
Pimptorious
New User
Best price I could get in town was $450. Guess I will Ebay for $320.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:13 AM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
I'm having problems with my remote communicating with the pump. If I change the PSI the screen will read fail. Eventually it will communicate, but its sketchy at best. Also, when dumping air, the left bag will deflate quickly, where the right bag takes forever to dump. I love the bags, but the operation of them is a little rough from time to time. Also, did anybody run their intake line in the truck? I did not, and I'm worried water will get sucked in the pump with all this rain we are having.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:18 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm having problems with my remote communicating with the pump. If I change the PSI the screen will read fail. Eventually it will communicate, but its sketchy at best. Also, when dumping air, the left bag will deflate quickly, where the right bag takes forever to dump. I love the bags, but the operation of them is a little rough from time to time. Also, did anybody run their intake line in the truck? I did not, and I'm worried water will get sucked in the pump with all this rain we are having.
Hey Lex -

I had an issue with the in-line fuse on the manifold signal line (small red wire with white stripe). It had some kind of short or break in the line that provided erratic power to the manifold. I diagnosed it by disconnecting the barrel fuse holder and just held the wire directly onto the positive post on the battery. Then the wireless controller communicated perfectly. I just cut out the barrel fuse holder and replaced it with a better fuse and have had no problem since.

Mine also inflates/deflates the airbags at different rates. One side will lag behind a bit until the other side reaches pressure and then it will quickly catch up and they will both be at equal pressures. Same with deflation. It does take several minutes to deflate the bags.

My intake is located above the fuel tank hanging just below the bed. It seemed to be a pretty protected spot. I have been through a winter and crossed several running board deep streams and ponds. So far no problem. I don't think I have ever attempted to change pressures when in the water though so there would have been no reason to pull water into the intake. I leave my airbags at 5psi when not towing.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:16 AM
frt2599
Senior User
Lexustbs
Mine inflates and deflates pretty close on right and left.. Maybe just a couple PSI difference. Did you try replacing the battery in the remove? There is also a Sync process between the remote and the manifold that is suppose to be done at the factory but there are instructions to resync if needed. May want to give that a try.

I did run my air intake into my truck. Behind the driver side back seat there is a hole under the carpet. Move the back seat down and take out the tire changing hardware mounted to the floor. Pull up the carpet on the floor. You can't get the carpet all the way up but you can get your hand under it. There is a hole that goes through the floor board and under the truck. Not sure what is was suppose to be for but has a rubber flange around it. It's about three inches from the hole the the tire changing hardware bracket screws into. Good luck.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:11 AM
DK Farms
Junior User

After seeing the first 8 minutes of Epic's video, I was ready to stand up and say NO WAY!!! Then he mentioned the fact that it took 6 hours and I felt alot better. My cousin asked me to help him install Firestone bags on his truck. I figured it would be a good training run because I wanted bags on my truck, too. We both have B&W hitches. The instructions were considerably lacking in clarity. Cuz and I are both farm boys with a better-than-average mechanical aptitude and at times we were scratching butts and heads at the same time. Had basically all the same problems that Disco Chicken outlined. We had to replace the 3/4" hitch frame bolt on the driver side with a longer one because there weren't enough threads showing after installing the bracket to consider it safe. We were also stymied by the fact that the bags weren't sitting level. He chose the manual inflate/deflate option. Took us 7 hours WITHOUT the compressor and manifold addition. This made me swear off on the Firestone product and I'm looking for something else that's not as complicated to install. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Airbags Installation VIDEO