6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Airbags Installation VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 10:25 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Yes, you will be heavy with all the machines in the back plus the trailer. I'm telling you though, I was surprised at the difference with the airbags. I simply was not expecting them to make the over-the-road pull so much smoother. And, remember that the whole on-board compressor thing is optional. I think most people install valve stems on the back bumper and call it good. The airbags themselves are less than $250 and a total bargain for their return in value.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:49 AM
rcklnhunter
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sure this is a lame question but if I was going to replace the shocks in my truck with a Bilstein would putting air bags in the rear eliminate the need to replace the rear shocks? I would think the amount of air you place in the bags would override the rear shock. Is this thinking right??

I have never used air bags before and for me I do a lot more driving empty then pulling a trailer so would I just air down the air bags to 0 PSI and let the shocks do their job or just find the best PSI for ride quality unloaded. I hope this question makes sense.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:53 AM
black08
Mountain Pass
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
That is a great price. I have been checking out pricing here in Canada, I am getting quotes for that exact kit from $450.00 & $550.00 ( air bags only ). I live about 15 minutes from the border and have started buying a lot more parts and having them shipped to a mail boxes unlimited in Blaine, Wa. I just ran down last Saturday to pick up a needle and seat kit for my 2005 Yamaha 450, price at home was $69.95 with a 6 to 8 weeks wait on " indefinite " backorder. Ordered it through the Yamaha dealer in Bellingham, it was there in 4 days paid $29.50. Sorry for getting a little off topic but I can't believe the difference in pricing and availability.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:59 AM
frt2599
Senior User
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Outside airbag brackets would not work with the B&W hitch. The reason is that the truck frame is indented slightly above the rear axle toward the center-line of the vehicle. The hitch mount includes a side plate that spans that space on the outside of the frame and actually includes a spacer to "flatten out" the indentation (if that makes any sense). What I'm trying to describe is that if an airbag mount system is expecting the factory configuration, there's no way it will work after the under-bed hitch is installed (if that hitch uses side plates that mount to the side of the frame). Clearly, that's why they made the option to mount the bags inside the frame and over the axle. Even in that case, the airbag mount still had to share a frame bolt hole with the hitch. I can only speak to my experience with the B&W hitch but I understand the factory hitch is similar. If you're thinking you might change to a fifth wheel, it's a no-brainer. You'd want the airbags inside the frame.

I'm approaching 11,000 miles and haven't changed the fuel filter yet. But I will when the truck tells me to and I'll bring the camera along.
Here is what I found out a few months back when I was investigating Firestone Air Bags.

They sell two different models for the 2011 Superduty..

Model 2535 for in bed hitch (will also work with no in bed hitch)
Model 2542 for no inbed hitch (will not work with in bed hitch)

The 2542 mount to the outside of the axle and are (suppose) to give a better ride because of this. But again you can't install an in bed hitch once these are installed.

The 2535 mount to the inside and will work with or without an in bed hitch, but the ride is not as good. Or so the Tech. told me.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:09 AM
black08
Mountain Pass
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
frt-2599 - Did you end up putting a set in? Which ones did you go for?

Old 01-25-2011, 12:06 PM
frt2599
Senior User
Originally Posted by black08
frt-2599 - Did you end up putting a set in? Which ones did you go for?
No, have not pulled the trigger yet. Actually just called Turckaddons and they never heard of the 2452 kit. They then called the Firestone rep. and he claimed they never had such a kit. Funny around 4 months ago they did. If you look on Autoanything.com they still carry it.... Weird...

Old 01-25-2011, 12:27 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by rcklnhunter
I am sure this is a lame question but if I was going to replace the shocks in my truck with a Bilstein would putting air bags in the rear eliminate the need to replace the rear shocks? I would think the amount of air you place in the bags would override the rear shock. Is this thinking right??

I have never used air bags before and for me I do a lot more driving empty then pulling a trailer so would I just air down the air bags to 0 PSI and let the shocks do their job or just find the best PSI for ride quality unloaded. I hope this question makes sense.
The airbags are there to help with the compressive forces on the axle but do nothing to retard the spring reaction. You'll definitely need good shocks even with airbags. The airbags have to have a minimum of 5 psi or they risk pinching in an extreme sudden load. The 5 psi doesn't seem to affect the unloaded ride at all. I can tell no difference from before when the airbags were not in place. On the other hand, you sure can tell a difference when you ride unloaded with 85 psi in the bags. The truck rides like an old 2 ton in that configuration.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:20 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Epic - Any pics of the entire setup with the 5er hooked up and bags inflated? I'm looking at a Heartland 5er toyhauler and just bought a set of bags as I'm almost certain I'll need them.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:36 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
I took a couple of photos inflated and deflated but because of the way I was holding the camera and the lateness of the evening, you couldn't tell anything was different (the pic in my avatar is with no airbags at all). I did put a tape measure on the fender however and found that the bags raised the rear end 2 inches when loaded. So here it is: Trailer on the back with the bags at 5psi = 3" sag. Bags at 55psi = 1 inch sag or exactly level front to back. No load and bags at 5psi = no sag and 1 inch higher in rear than front. Remember that this is a big toy hauler. Most would say that I should have a dually. For a lot of reasons I chose to go SRW and added bags to compensate for the 7,000 lb max springs. Now the axle is the limiting factor and I'm just under max there. I definitely needed airbags and have to believe any load that even approaches max would benefit from them as well.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:07 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Remember that this is a big toy hauler. Most would say that I should have a dually. For a lot of reasons I chose to go SRW and added bags to compensate for the 7,000 lb max springs. Now the axle is the limiting factor and I'm just under max there. I definitely needed airbags and have to believe any load that even approaches max would benefit from them as well.
Thanks, I've followed your weights closely from your other thread. I'm in the same boat as far as trailers go, the dually was a no-go with me (I don't have the patience to drive a dually in Pittsburgh..) and the diesel just wasn't in the cards. I've had travel trailers for about 12 years but this will be my first 5er, just preppin' for what to expect. Thanks again, the vids and info are great.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:28 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rcklnhunter
I am sure this is a lame question but if I was going to replace the shocks in my truck with a Bilstein would putting air bags in the rear eliminate the need to replace the rear shocks? I would think the amount of air you place in the bags would override the rear shock. Is this thinking right??.
Epic is right. I'll go even further. The airbags are like putting basketballs on your axles and require robust control with a shock absorber to fight the bounce during suspension travel.

Obviously, leaf springs are, well, springy and airbags are like bouncing a basketball inflated to 85 psi. I don't expect even the Rancho's that came stock to last long fighting all that action and re-action.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:41 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
Epic - Any pics of the entire setup with the 5er hooked up and bags inflated? I'm looking at a Heartland 5er toyhauler and just bought a set of bags as I'm almost certain I'll need them.
Which Heartland toy hauler are you looking at? I know a good dealer if you need one.

Regards

Old 01-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Big-Sarge
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Epic,

Can you give me the part number of the wireless on-board compressor system you used? I looked on Truckaddons.com but couldn't find it....Thanks, Mike

Old 01-25-2011, 07:21 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by rickatic
Which Heartland toy hauler are you looking at? I know a good dealer if you need one.

Regards
Thanks, pm sent.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:41 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Big-Sarge
Epic,

Can you give me the part number of the wireless on-board compressor system you used? I looked on Truckaddons.com but couldn't find it....Thanks, Mike
Hey Mike,

Here's the invoice from TruckAddons.com. It's model 72000.

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/s...ote-72000.html

Now don't blame me for spending your hard-earned money!

Quick Reply: Airbags Installation VIDEO