I am back to stay and need advice......

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 10:33 AM
anjcohen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am back to stay and need advice......

Hello to all,

Well, after selling my 99" f350 a couple of years ago and buying a 08 Sierra, well, I just bought a used 2003 F350 Diesel Lariet with 84,000 miles on it and I will NEVER sell my truck again!
I purchased from a woman who's husband recently died from a heart attack. It appears he maintained the truck but I would like a fresh start.

With that at hand, I would like to get some opinions as far as what maintenance / service would you perform. In my mind I would like to get every fluid changed and have a Diesel mechanic inspect everything from ball joints to what ever......

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you - the ole guy at age 54......(<:

Old 01-23-2011, 10:37 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
You're age 54, or the guy that died was 54?

Are we to assume that it is a first-quarter 2003?

Pop

Old 01-23-2011, 10:55 AM
human_fly_
Junior User
Originally Posted by anjcohen
Hello to all,

Well, after selling my 99" f350 a couple of years ago and buying a 08 Sierra, well, I just bought a used 2003 F350 Diesel Lariet with 84,000 miles on it and I will NEVER sell my truck again!
I purchased from a woman who's husband recently died from a heart attack. It appears he maintained the truck but I would like a fresh start.

With that at hand, I would like to get some opinions as far as what maintenance / service would you perform. In my mind I would like to get every fluid changed and have a Diesel mechanic inspect everything from ball joints to what ever......

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you - the ole guy at age 54......(<:
From everything posted here on FTE, I think you should get a 6" suspension lift with 38" tires and drive it like ya stole it! Congrats on your new purchase. Can't believe you gave up an f350 7.3L turbo diesel...I guess it was a learning lesson! Cheers Man!

Old 01-23-2011, 11:41 AM
eetalt
Junior User
You're definitely on the right track with complete fluid changes and having ball joints checked. If your mechanic has a good scanner, have him pull codes and delete them. Then drive for a few days and have it re-scanned, the reason being that a lot of transient codes can show up from time to time and, while it's good to know what may have happened in the past, if they don't return, don't fret about 'em. It is easiest to find someone on this forum with AE in your area who is willing to hook up and pull codes.

When fluid changes are done, check to see if the seals are weeping on the diffs where the driveshafts exit. Also check the ends of the front axle tubes just behind the front axle u-joints for weeping if the truck is a 4x4.

If the coolant is green, get it thoroughly flushed out and change to a modern extended life coolant. Search ELC on this forum and you'll have lots of reading material. I went with CAT ELC in mine, but there are plenty of 'em out there. Also, put in a coolant bypass filter, even if you change to ELC. It is a cheap insurance policy for the water pump, 'cause even with the flush, you'll have silicates in your cooling system from the old coolant.

Check the engine valley for fluids. Common areas for leaks are turbo pedestal, EBP actuator on the pedestal, HPOP o-rings and fuel filter bowl at the drain valve.

I'm sure I've left a lot out, but others will chime in, I suspect. Good luck with the truck. From my experience, you've come to the right place for insights and help.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:24 PM
anjcohen
Senior User
Thanks for the replies...

I appreciate the replies especially from Keith.

I assume it was an early 2003 because it has a 7.3 in it. It is also a 4x4. Everything is stock so that is good.
I put a K&N air filter into the stock air compartment. I had that in my old 99' F350 and seemed to help a bit.
Just to be certain, having the crew 8 foot bed I would think it has a 38 gallon fuel tank like I had in my 99'???

Yes to the other poster, it has been a learning experience giving up my 99' and coming full circle. I never thought I would miss the truck but compared to that 08' sierra 1/2 ton I purchased........God, the GM was more like a car truck. Dam I missed that diesel sound and also the smell!! Love it.
Well, I guess at age 54 it is never too late to learn. Again, I will keep this truck till the day I die!!!!!!!!!

If anyone has advise on an A/T tire that gets good hwy. miles please let me know. I used to have the BFG LT285/75/16R on the old truck but didn't care for them too much. Any advice would be appreciated....

Thank you again,
The old guy

Old 01-23-2011, 09:05 PM
anjcohen
Senior User
I am 54 and the guy that passed away was 67....

Old 01-23-2011, 09:11 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
start spraying used engine oil or some type of protectant underneath.

My 2002 was starting to lose the paint pretty bad on the bottom, underneath was turning into a rust pit.

Met a guy a few months back that sprays old engine oil underneath, cruddy as hell but take a pressure washer to it and everything looks brand new.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
If you wanted to do the coolant flush, here's the thread with Gooch's instructions.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post8935201

Stewart

Old 01-23-2011, 09:34 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
At first I thought I misclicked on my 99-03 diesel site and was somewhere else, didn't recognize anybodys screen names except Pop's, then Stewarts. Welcome back, lots of great info, more of it this go around.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:45 PM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Get rid of the K&N filter. Too many problems with the air box not sealing properly with them.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:12 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBoat
Get rid of the K&N filter. Too many problems with the air box not sealing properly with them.
.......... Go with the 6637 filter, Ford AIS, AFE or S&B intake. These all have shown excellent results on Used Oil Analysis reports.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:03 PM
anjcohen
Senior User
I have one in stock box but I made sure it was seated correctly and clamped. Have another filter recommendation?

Old 01-23-2011, 11:04 PM
anjcohen
Senior User
sounds good thanks!

Old 01-24-2011, 08:45 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Call the local Dealer with the vin number and see if the 'Re-Calls' have been done.

I have had a drop in K&N filter to 5 years and it seems fine.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:00 AM
anjcohen
Senior User
thank you!

Good idea in checking for recalls! While I am there I will test out this small dealer here by asking if they could replace my headlight bulbs in hand.

I appreciate all the advice I have received! Thanks.

Quick Reply: I am back to stay and need advice......