Sponsored by: Moser

Four Wheeler Magazine...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:06 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Four Wheeler Magazine...

Sorry if this has been previously discussed- I was reading the latest edition last night and it seems they gave top honors to a 6.2 Raptor! Second was the F250 with 6.7 diesel then 3rd was the Chebby Duramax. Seems some people need more than tire-melting power, they also like the creature comforts and fancy GPS, Sync and all the other goodies Ford puts in their new vehicles and, well- GM didn't. Even though I don't have a Raptor, although if someone gave me one I'd have no choice but to use it, I still love my F150. Congrads, Ford, for having the cajones to produce such a truck as the Raptor, and beating out two other DIESEL trucks with gobs of power and torque

Old 01-23-2011, 09:42 AM
efx4
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems many publications chose the Duramax over the Powerstroke because of a few tenths of a second in et's, but in the real world that doesn't mean a thing. It's good to hear an article looked more at capabilities and features over straight line track performance.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:32 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, The Silverado HD made Motortrend truck of the year.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Chris Anchor
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "Free Press" will say anything to boost GM (Gov Motors). I bought my F-150 right around the bailout time. I was happy that Ford did not take the government money, they decided they would go about it the right way by reducing spending, give their customers better deals and products. I even bought their stock knowing that they would prevail. Plus I made enough to pay my truck off. Isn't the America Free Enterprise System great, better then allowing the government to appoint the CEO & CFO in your company, who may not really know the car/truck business as much as who they know. I'll get off the soap box now plus sorry for all the smilies, I had not used any in awhile. Chris

Old 01-23-2011, 06:34 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Anchor
The "Free Press" will say anything to boost GM (Gov Motors). I bought my F-150 right around the bailout time. I was happy that Ford did not take the government money, they decided they would go about it the right way by reducing spending, give their customers better deals and products. I even bought their stock knowing that they would prevail. Plus I made enough to pay my truck off. Isn't the America Free Enterprise System great, better then allowing the government to appoint the CEO & CFO in your company, who may not really know the car/truck business as much as who they know. I'll get off the soap box now plus sorry for all the smilies, I had not used any in awhile. Chris
Totally agree, Not to sound like one one of those people who whines when their brand doesn't win a comparison, but I always felt ''Motortrend'' was very GM bias, Its like in the early threw mid 2000's, the only vehicle they gave their award to for like 4 streight years in a row was the Chevy Silverado. I mean you can only award the same truck so many times in a row, before your comparison's start to look bias. But I'm glad to see Fourwheeler breaking the mold.

But anyway just my 2cents.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:36 PM
akalogan
Senior User
Originally Posted by 640 CI Aluminum FORD
Totally agree, Not to sound like one one of those people who whines when their brand doesn't win a comparison, but I always felt ''Motortrend'' was very GM bias, Its like in the early threw mid 2000's, the only vehicle they gave their award to for like 4 streight years in a row was the Chevy Silverado. I mean you can only award the same truck so many times in a row, before your comparison's start to look bias. But I'm glad to see Fourwheeler breaking the mold.

But anyway just my 2cents.
Hell half say Ford. Then half say GM. And the once in a blue moon, Dodge. Anyway you spine it, It all depends on what you are looking for and consider A important feature. I will say that I wish that GM's management would all collectively retire. I do remember when Chevy's were tough and solid. My 1st truck was a '82' half-ton Chevy. It was unbreakable, even for a 17 year old farm boy. But I would not buy a newer GM simply because of the soft skin wrapped around the damn things. I do love the direction Ford is going though.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:39 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by akalogan
Hell half say Ford. Then half say GM. And the once in a blue moon, Dodge. Anyway you spine it, It all depends on what you are looking for and consider A important feature. I will say that I wish that GM's management would all collectively retire. I do remember when Chevy's were tough and solid. My 1st truck was a '82' half-ton Chevy. It was unbreakable, even for a 17 year old farm boy. But I would not buy a newer GM simply because of the soft skin wrapped around the damn things. I do love the direction Ford is going though.
Yeah no doubt older GM's are alot better than newer ones. Personally I've always been a Ford guy but I'll admit those 1970's and 1980's GM trucks are pretty solid. Back in the early 1990's My dad owned a 1984 GMC Sierra Classic with a 305 V8 and Automatic transmission, It couldn't hardly get out of its own way and got about 8mpg around town, but it never gave us any real issues. He traded it in 2001 for a Nissan Frontier.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:37 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
Media is media. Biased for one or the other. Either way, it's cool that they rated the Raptor that high. I saw a black Screw Raptor at Monster Jam this weekend. Sweet looking ride. I'd buy it.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:40 AM
blueovelboy
Elder User
i had a 2009 chevy hd 3500 i had to drive for work i wanted the ford f-350.
i used this truck for about 6 months and the guy who drove the f-350 got caned sooo i jumped at it and asked if i could have it and give the new guy my old truck.
my boss said yes. now i am a ford man for life but i must admit the chevy did ride much better! but it just cant handle a load like the ford can! the allison trans in the chevy is way more advanced than the ford one but it is a Allison after all! like i said if you need to work your truck go with the ford if its just for looks go with the ford if hemorrhoids (spelling?) are your concerns get the chevy. lol

Old 01-27-2011, 09:40 PM
andrew20
New User
Thanks for the info, it is very interesting, I loved reading this post. I would love to receive more data on the subject. Uses car & used car parts market is raising highly these days. Car dealers are showing their interest in these. Actually i was searching about car donation old cars and car parts. I got car donation.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:36 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by andrew20
Thanks for the info, it is very interesting, I loved reading this post. I would love to receive more data on the subject.
Buy the magazine and read the article

Old 01-29-2011, 06:27 PM
postman524
Junior User
Originally Posted by LxMan1
Yeah, The Silverado HD made Motortrend truck of the year.
One of Motor Trends comments about the Silverado was that it's lighter than the Ford SD. Unless they're using titanium parts all that means is, that it is made cheaper. Also keep in mind, that this is the magazine that named the Chevy Volt, car of the year. A better title would be joke or rip-off of the year. Come on, over 40k for a commuter car. Seems Motor Trend might be getting some of Obama's stash for backing Chevy.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:56 PM
johnwill
Senior User
Originally Posted by postman524
Also keep in mind, that this is the magazine that named the Chevy Volt, car of the year. A better title would be joke or rip-off of the year. Come on, over 40k for a commuter car. Seems Motor Trend might be getting some of Obama's stash for backing Chevy.
Were they a bad magazine the times they named the F-150 truck of the year?

Old 01-30-2011, 08:43 AM
efx4
Laughing Gas
Motor Trend liked the Silverado's ride and acceleration as well as the better exhaust brake on the Silverado. They said the Ford needed to loose about 500 lbs. to be more competitive, but liked most everything else better on the Ford.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:04 AM
postman524
Junior User
Originally Posted by efx4
Motor Trend liked the Silverado's ride and acceleration as well as the better exhaust brake on the Silverado. They said the Ford needed to loose about 500 lbs. to be more competitive, but liked most everything else better on the Ford.
That's exactly what I'm saying about the weight factor. Unless you are using titanium parts, it's hard to shave much weight without giving up quality and durability. In other words, Chevy is using skimpier components. As for Motor Trend picking the F150 as truck of the year in the past, I don't trust any of these magazines. They all usually have an agenda and exhibit a lot of personal preference. They do the same thing in snowmobile magazines with their sleds of the year. Reality is that most of the time, these trucks are fairly equal overall, some better in some areas and others better in other areas. It comes down to personal bias and the year's agenda.

Quick Reply: Four Wheeler Magazine...