6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Is my EGR bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 04:07 AM
hollywood465
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my EGR bad?

hey guys,
so this is my first diesel and i completely absolutely and complete completely love it BUT i'm not in the "know" about all of it (these new engines are just to high tech for my simple little mind )
I've been reading on here that a lot of you had to have the EGR replaced because it was faulty or (i believe i read) that coolant/water leaked into it. i also saw in here that Ford apparently fixed the problem (job1/job2...??? not sure what that meant but i read while searching EGR threads)
I have a 2010 F350 and want to get rid of that d@$n DPF . not only is it horrible it's really just plain dumb...anyway. i have figured out how i'll go about doing this but it will end up voiding my warranty. so, before i do the exhaust mod i would like know what i need to look for concerning the EGR so that if it does go bad i may catch it before the warrenty is no good. i would assume that because my truck is newer that my EGR is "the better one". but we all know what happens when we assume. i've also read that white smoke out of the tail pipe is a sign of the bad EGR but it's also in a few threads about regen. how do you tell the difference???
also, since i'll be deleting the DPF i believe i've read doing a EGR delete along with the DPF. what is the benefits in doing this and how is it done?
thanks so much in advance for any help

Old 01-26-2011, 04:38 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a spartan kit, that includes all the delete pipes.

it also disables the egr valve.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:58 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
My thoughts on the EGR issue are that this motor won't have a problem if you run it hard.

Also keep in mind that the turbo does not have a waste gate to dump excessive boost. It does it thru the EGR.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:47 PM
sportsfreaked
Junior User
The 2010's as far as I know have not had to many problems with the EGR. I think most of the early 08's had the problem. I would do some research on how to delete and/or turn off the EGR and how it may affect your warranty. Good luck and welcome to FTE there are a lot of good people on here that have good information and knowledge!

Ed

Old 01-27-2011, 01:01 AM
hollywood465
Freshman User
Originally Posted by senix
My thoughts on the EGR issue are that this motor won't have a problem if you run it hard.

Also keep in mind that the turbo does not have a waste gate to dump excessive boost. It does it thru the EGR.
if i run it hard? i live in South Dakota so my landscaping business is pretty much non existent throughout the winter (which is what i primarily use the truck for). there fore i work a seasonal job doing snow removal on the Air Force base and just use the truck as a daily commuter about 6 months out of the year besides the few times a may make a loaded landfill trip or help a buddy haul something. so am i actually harming the engine by not using it to it's full potential? also if the EGR is deleted and all the excess boost has no where to go, you are saying that it will harm the turbo? and if so why do people delete it?

and by the way thanks sportsfreaked

Old 01-28-2011, 01:15 PM
stevensm
5th Wheeling
Does anyone know if there is a part number to identify which EGR version is installed?

Old 01-29-2011, 07:54 AM
fg250
Elder User
Originally Posted by hollywood465
if i run it hard? i live in South Dakota so my landscaping business is pretty much non existent throughout the winter (which is what i primarily use the truck for). there fore i work a seasonal job doing snow removal on the Air Force base and just use the truck as a daily commuter about 6 months out of the year besides the few times a may make a loaded landfill trip or help a buddy haul something. so am i actually harming the engine by not using it to it's full potential? also if the EGR is deleted and all the excess boost has no where to go, you are saying that it will harm the turbo? and if so why do people delete it?

and by the way thanks sportsfreaked
what senix was getting at was that some guys have had issues blowing head gaskets after an egr block-off because the excess pressure can't pass through the egr anymore.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:59 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
it seems to be a common factor that most all the failed egr coolers I have done to date on a 6.4 have been burned up by lack of coolant

Old 01-29-2011, 05:30 PM
CrpssFire
Freshman User
Originally Posted by cheezit
it seems to be a common factor that most all the failed egr coolers I have done to date on a 6.4 have been burned up by lack of coolant
Meaning that people have been letting the coolant level get too low in the coolant tank??

Old 01-29-2011, 05:31 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by CrpssFire
Meaning that people have been letting the coolant level get too low in the coolant tank??
yup pretty much it. they seem to have warranty claims prior like failed radiators or leaking hoses.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:26 PM
CrpssFire
Freshman User
Originally Posted by cheezit
yup pretty much it. they seem to have warranty claims prior like failed radiators or leaking hoses.
So how low is too low. I keep mine at the highest line on the bottle and check it at least once a week.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:27 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

I have no idea I only see them after its to late

Old 01-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Bounds-Electric
FORD USER

I was told to keep it between the lines and no lower than bottom line on degas!

Old 01-30-2011, 06:47 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
What you don't want is for it to suck air...so that means if you go lower than the lower hose on the degas bottle you are going to be in for trouble.

The low and high fill lines are above that lower hose. So being between the lines you cannot go wrong.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:00 AM
hollywood465
Freshman User
i do maintain it pretty good and it seems that mine was fixed because of the newer year so thanks guys!!!

Quick Reply: Is my EGR bad?