1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Progress made and now a question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 10:08 PM
SVT-F100
Tuned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Progress made and now a question

What up FTE!!! just wanted to say what up to all you cool people out there in the old school truck world, some bad dudes and girls online.

Anyhow I reached my goal over the Christmas vacation and I purchased the No Limit Engineering Chassis Package for my 55 Effie (Must say that the people and products from No Limit are top notch). Pictures at the end of the post.

Now that I had the parts, I managed to take off my exhaust, Drive shaft, Hood, and front end this week.
Moved around pics in photobucket and killed links so at the bottom I pasted a link to the IFS album

And best of all (For those that remember my drivetrain) I pulled out the chitty drive train the PO had in there.

Now, here is the question:

Today I was cleaning the mess from earlier this week and noticed that there was a non factory look to the cross member that the chitty motor mounts were bolted to.

A an even closer look revealed plenty of welds that are attaching the crossmember to the frame.

So my initial thought is to buy some cut off wheels for my grinder and go to town by cutting each side as close as I can to the welds and then grinding for days. Any special tricks/ideas out there?

No Limit product pictures.

No Limit IFS Install pictures by svtxcno - Photobucket
Thanks in advance

Last edited by SVT-F100; 01-21-2011 at 10:11 PM. Reason: duplicate wording
Old 01-21-2011, 11:00 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
The sky and the price of gas. It looks like you're going to be busy for awhile. Keep us posted. Have fun!

Old 01-21-2011, 11:52 PM
SVT-F100
Tuned

Carnut it sounds like you agree with me and I am going to be cutting and grinding for a while...

Just thinking, would a plasma cutter help here? I am thinking it could possibly damage the frame. Or should just go with my dewault and go to town.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:17 AM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Yep, I'm thinking cut/grind it back past the edges of your frame, leave the rest and box the frame over the stubs left behind.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:43 AM
f250red
Senior User
Looks to me that it was originally a six cyl.from the looks of the motor mount on the front crossmember.My 54 f250 was originally a 6cyl. I had to add the second crossmember to install a 292y,the v8 is shorter. one of our members fixed me up with an original ford crossmember,the frame was already drilled for the crossmember.worked out perfectly. F250 RED

Old 01-22-2011, 10:43 AM
My Ford Truck
Senior User
I only see one issue...

How did you get your wife (sorry, just assuming) to let you put parts on that area rug covering your hardwood!!! I installed our floor so I probably wouldn't have put the parts there anyway but if I did and she saw them, well, I wouldn't be posting this!

Old 01-22-2011, 10:58 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jeff, you just HAD to go there. (if) she exists, she is reading this right now, and, well, we might not hear from him for quite awhile. i quess he's gonna learn the hard way. lol

Old 01-22-2011, 11:33 AM
My Ford Truck
Senior User
Originally Posted by petey shoes
jeff, you just HAD to go there. (if) she exists, she is reading this right now, and, well, we might not hear from him for quite awhile. i quess he's gonna learn the hard way. lol
Yeah, my bad.

I don't see a name anywhere, so what if SVT is female? In that case, really my bad and I apologize!

Old 01-22-2011, 12:12 PM
SVT-F100
Tuned

Area rug was at the parents house in SCAL, my dad wanted to see everything as well. So I got lucky. The white rug with the rotors and A-Arms were at my house, wife didn't care cuz she is waiting for hardwood floors. I gave her the greenlight for the wood floors after I bought the suspension.

F250 Red
You're right, when I got the truck I ran all the numbers and my truck was I6. PO wanted some more power but went all GM.

Carnut122
That makes a lot of sense. Initially, I was thinking of cutting cutting flush and then pie cutting all the way down and grinding flush to the bottom of the inner rail. Since I am boxing in the front, depending on the speed of the work to get it down I may just try to clean in there and move on.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:35 PM
My Ford Truck
Senior User
[QUOTE=SVT-F100;9861937]Area rug was at the parents house in SCAL, my dad wanted to see everything as well. So I got lucky. The white rug with the rotors and A-Arms were at my house, wife didn't care cuz she is waiting for hardwood floors. I gave her the greenlight for the wood floors after I bought the suspension.

Nice trade-off!

I'm trying to come up with a trade-off so I can move forward on my truck. Hardwood? Been there, done that. New oak interior doors? Been there, done that. Remodel bathroom? Been there done that. Kitchen? That's done too.

Any suggestions? She isn't into jewelry so that's out.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:46 PM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
I have the opposite problem, she let me buy all my parts when we had a new house but then moved to Kelowna to a home that needs some TLC and I'm up to my eyebrows in renos and no time to install parts on my truck!

Old 01-22-2011, 01:09 PM
SVT-F100
Tuned

My FordTruck
It was good trade off and it is good to hear that quite a few of work in this fashion. To get the truck in the first place I change out our bay windows, put cultured stone under them tiled the fireplace, redid master bathroom completely tile to vanity and plumbing.

As far as ideas how about esthetics of the outside. I really like the cultured stone I threw out there. If u ain't got none the try it out.

CdnWillyG
All I can say is At least u gotthe parts

Old 01-22-2011, 01:33 PM
My Ford Truck
Senior User
[QUOTE=SVT-F100;9862125]My FordTruck
It was good trade off and it is good to hear that quite a few of work in this fashion. To get the truck in the first place I change out our bay windows, put cultured stone under them tiled the fireplace, redid master bathroom completely tile to vanity and plumbing.

As far as ideas how about esthetics of the outside. I really like the cultured stone I threw out there. If u ain't got none the try it out.

Outside is mostly done too. We are having a new 24' long porch put on the front this spring and that will just about finish the house, except the basement.

In reality, wife is awesome and if I just ask, she will probably let me buy quite a few parts.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:55 PM
SVT-F100
Tuned

So it only took me two cut off wheels and about 7 minutes each side not to bad. After church I will continue on and see where I end up

Old 01-23-2011, 02:29 PM
snook715
Senior User
Good Luck. If I get my 55 sold this week I will be picking up another 55 further along in the build process and hopefully be driving in a few months.

Quick Reply: Progress made and now a question