Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 or 4.2 V6 engine
SPONSORED BY:
Click HereAdvertisement

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2011, 07:05 AM
New User

hofec1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2006 ford f150 misfire/poor accelleration fixed

It seems alot of people are having the same problem I had which I have resolved. So I thought it would be a good idea to post this to possibly save people some money. Mine started out as a misfire problem which I first changed the plugs. I followed the Ford TSB and got all 8 plugs out with no problems. Still misfiring and setting a code for bank 1 catylatic converter ineffectiency bank 1. By the way bank 1 is passenger side. After changing bank 2 because the guy at Advance auto said bank 1 was drivers side. Still setting misfire codes and for bank 1 cat. ineff. So after installing new coil packs and 2 injectors, Still misfiring #3 and #1 and cat. ineff. bank 1. Decided to buy my own code reader, which is a must if you are going to try to work on these new vehicles. Decided to unplug o2 sensor to see where bank 1 really was. Thats when I found out bank 1 was indeed passengers side. Changed o2 sensors. Still misfiring. Decided to buy the true bank 1 cat converter. Dropped old bank 1 cat and found all of the internal workings all broke up and clogging converter. Truck runs like new. I spent 178.00 for bank 1 converter at pep boys. After spending O approx. 600 in other parts that didnt fix it. I think the spark plugs not being changed until 115000 miles caused the converter to go bad. Buy a code reader and it makes it a whole lot easier to diagnose your problem yourself. and save a whole lot of money throwing new parts at it.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Posting Guru

Deluxe05 has a great reputation on FTE.Deluxe05 has a great reputation on FTE.Deluxe05 has a great reputation on FTE.Deluxe05 has a great reputation on FTE.
For starters, welcome aboard, hofec1!!

Thanks for taking the time to sign up & provide that information!! It is always nice to see posts where the owner has tracked down a solution to an unusual problem. For those of us that frequent these forums, it gives us one more useful pointer for some future forum visitor that comes seeking help with the same problem.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Elder User

Wilber15 is starting off with a positive reputation.
This is where getting it diagnosed CORRECTLY would have saved u money. Common problem on these 5.4L's. Just did 1 this week. Both banks.

Ford Dealership Tech...
Ford Diesel Apprentice...
Old 01-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Freshman User

FordLvr30 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have always said that paying the dealer the diagnosis fee is always worth the 80-100 bucks. As opposed to throwing parts at it and asking the 8.00 an hour Advance Auto Parts clerk what to buy and how to fix your truck...
Old 01-21-2011, 09:44 PM
New User

wilber15 you are so correct. I probably would have saved money,BUT the dealers here in the Richmond, VA area have not been so friendly or affordable. Plus i really enjoy working on my own vehicles. I buy a few vehicles a year and try flipping them after making a few minor repairs. These F150's are great trucks easy to replace parts on anyhow. Is there anything I should be paying special attention to that would have caused the converters to go bad other than spark plugs,fuel injectors and COP's. Thanks
Old 01-22-2011, 09:06 PM
New User

hillclimbin is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hofec1 View Post
wilber15 you are so correct. I probably would have saved money,BUT the dealers here in the Richmond, VA area have not been so friendly or affordable. Plus i really enjoy working on my own vehicles. I buy a few vehicles a year and try flipping them after making a few minor repairs. These F150's are great trucks easy to replace parts on anyhow. Is there anything I should be paying special attention to that would have caused the converters to go bad other than spark plugs,fuel injectors and COP's. Thanks
When u say u replaced the true bank 1 cat what does that mean, since are trucks have 2 cats on each side, are u talking about the bigger cat in the rear?
Old 01-22-2011, 10:00 PM
New User

My truck is a 2006 with 1 cat on each side. The build date has something to do with yours having 2 per side and mine having 1. I changed both cats 1 on bank one passengers side and 1 on bank 2. First changed bank 2 thinking it was bank 1
Old 01-22-2011, 10:00 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150

Tags
06, 150, 1996, 2006, 2007, 42l, 46l, bank, engine, f150, ford, misfire, misfires, misfiring, missfiring, snow