1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Random No start/engine dies, electrical issue.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 03:43 AM
big79bronco
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Random No start/engine dies, electrical issue.

Hello Everyone,

I was on my way to a job plowing this morning... Any ideas on this issue?

My 97 Diesel dies all of the sudden. Like I turned the ignition off with the key. Check engine light comes on.

I've narrowed it down to the #2 relay on top of the driver side fender (inside the fuse/relay box). However, it's not the relay that's bad. I've swapped in a known good relay and even jumped it. The problem is not consistent. With the key in the "on" position, sometimes the relay would kick on/off real quick (click) and coincide with the check engine light coming on/off.

It "might" have something to do with the electric circuit getting warm? If I let it sit for a couple minutes, the truck will start up fine (so long as the check engine light is off), but after a few seconds, die again (with the check engine light coming back on).

As long as the check engine light is on, the truck will not start. Once the light goes out, it starts. Simple as that. It's probably nothing complex. My guess is a faulty connection in the wire loom? Or is there some sort of controller connected to this relay that kicks the check engine light on?

Old 01-21-2011, 06:54 AM
mq1shooter
Elder User
If it will sit and idle....I would grab the wiring/harness a wiggle from the PCM to the Fuel bowl harness to see if you can kill it. Had the same symptoms, bad IPR connector, when it would warm up and expand...BUT....I didn't have a CEL....just a thought.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:14 AM
big79bronco
Senior User
I was just reading through your (long) thread now!

It helped me figure out where the PCM is located. I did grab a bunch of wires under the fuse/relay box and wiggle without a noticeable relationship to the issue.

I'm going to pick it up later today (it's sitting on a street a bit from my house). I'll try again.

Haven't gotten to the part about the IPR connector yet. I'll find it eventually, but in case you reply quick, where is that located?

Old 01-21-2011, 07:20 AM
mq1shooter
Elder User

your looking from the Drivers perspective...without the fuel bowl, it's on the left, brass colored cylinder...not the best description...someone else will chime in....
Has the black connector on top of it....

Last edited by mq1shooter; 01-21-2011 at 07:21 AM. Reason: add
Old 01-21-2011, 03:05 PM
big79bronco
Senior User
I replaced the Crank Position Sensor with this: International PN: 1876736C91. (Just because it was $25 and 2 miles away) And it didn't fix my problem! (probably obviously to some of you on here)

What does the # 2 relay (second in from the drivers fender) control?

It seems directly related to the stater solenoid. Because as the #2 relay clicks, so does the stater solenoid. Could be as simple as the stater solenoid (in the picture above; right side with the two black nipples and one larger red nipple on the bolt ends)

Old 01-21-2011, 03:27 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
That is the GPR or Glow Plug Relay. Looking at the GPR in mq1shooter's pic....look at the very bottom of the GPR (the brown plastic cover or body) you will see where it is riveted to a bottom plate. At that rivet (the very lowest one) look straight to the left. you will go past the wire plug and past the fuel line and over just past the rise in the valley, you will find the IPR that is covering (in the pic) some of the same fuel line you just crossed. The wire connection is above it connected to it. That connection has a wire like bail (for lack of better words) that holds the 2 wire connector in the IPR. From the front of the truck looking at your fuel filter the IPR is about 5 0'clock straight down and plugs in toward you.
Hope that made sense, lol I will try to find better directions for you.

Last edited by Copedawg; 01-21-2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: 5 O'clock....dawgone digital clocks are making me in acurate!, lol
Old 01-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

try this..... 97-15A 7.3L DI Turbo Workshop Manual click the "S" on the left side then click on the second link down and find the IPR

You know...you can add a signature w/your truck's mods and all....it makes it easier to troubleshoot from way over here with certain symptoms. Up top you will find a blue bar, all the way to the left on that bar you will find "User CP" you can go there to add pics, signature and other stuff

Old 01-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Relay # 2 is for the IDM .

Have you checked the fuses ? Also have you checked the wiring to the IPR. May want to pull the IDM & see if it has water in it ,,,

Pic thanks to T J

Name:  2471808050099659029S425x425Q85.jpg
Views: 2710
Size:  51.9 KB

Old 01-21-2011, 03:43 PM
mq1shooter
Elder User
I like your pic's much better Rick... I need to spend more time w/Photobucket and draw arrows and such...much easier than trying to explain....

Old 01-21-2011, 03:43 PM
big79bronco
Senior User
I see the IPR. The connector looks fine, and the IPR is tight.

More things I've found:

Tack works while the engine is running. I had the truck running again since getting it back to my shop, but only for a few seconds. It seems if I let it sit ~10 minutes, it will start/run for a few seconds. I can't get it to run/idle for very long though, only a couple seconds.

Wait To Start light comes on per normal.

Cigarette lighter has not stopped working.

All the fuses are good.

(I'm just coming in and out of the shop and writing these things as I find them)

Old 01-21-2011, 03:51 PM
mq1shooter
Elder User
On the Drivers side head, a connector with three wires, near the engine hoist lug, is a metal bodied sensor called the ICP...un plug that, try to start it and see if it idles...

Old 01-21-2011, 04:02 PM
big79bronco
Senior User
Sorry mq1shooter, forgot to mention I already did that. I unplugged it and it ran. Died a couple seconds later.

Just started it again and this is a more detailed explanation of what happened:

I turned key to ON position. WTS light comes on. I wait for the WTS light to go out. Turn key to start and engine idles. Wait to start light flickers/Relay #2 clicks/glow plug regulator can be heard in cab. Check engine light came on, motor died a second or two later. Check engine light stays on. (not sure if the WTS light stayed on or not) This was all while the ICP was again unplugged.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

No solution just a FYI...Your GPR will stay engaged up to 2 minutes depending on the temperature....the WTS light goes off (with a slight audible "click") WAY before the GPR releases. Some people call the WTS light a "dummy light" meant to remind us to wait.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:15 PM
mq1shooter
Elder User
Is the truck out of the cold/weather? cause Rick asked that the IDM could be wet, and if your plowing it must be freezing...IDM is real easy to remove, I would warm it up and check for moisture. and check that to eliminate that possibility.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:21 PM
mq1shooter
Elder User
I am wondering if it's PCM related?...Truck starts...then WTS flickers, PCm controls the GP's, dies and CEL is on. Throwing that out there....tear it up!..

Quick Reply: Random No start/engine dies, electrical issue.