6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Truck COvers USA and rool up tonneau coverGot my toolbox and cover today. First off i

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:09 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Truck Covers USA and roll up tonneau cover Got my toolbox and cover today. First off i

Got my toolbox and cover today. First off it is heavy. The toolbox is steel.
This tonneau covers uses a canister that mounts under the toolbox. You lose toolbox room but if you don’t need trunk size storage it is OK.

I had called before ordering and asked if the cover and box were made for a Super Duty, I did not want a tool box and cover that was made for a smaller truck and uses adapters to be used.

Well the box probably could have been 2” wider on each side.
The side rails probably could have been a bit narrower and the roll cover a bit wider.

It’s a little confusing reading the instructions for the shims ,,,,,,,,,,,, but it is all good now.

I have the tailgate with the camera and helper rod and step. These come with a plastic liner and I had to remove the cover just to make some adjustments.

I will be cutting about ½” off the top of the tailgate cover to clear the tonneau cover

Attached Images    
Old 01-20-2011, 09:18 PM
BTyner41
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great Duane. Do you mind me asking how much this setup ran you? I have a shortbed and would be very interested in this exact combo.

Bryan

Old 01-20-2011, 09:33 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

2180 including shipping.
The toolbox cover is very expensive for what you get. The toolbox adds about 1K.
I would guess the toolbox is roughly half the capacity of a Weatherguard saddle box.

But I didn't need a massive toolbox.

On top of that price I called Truck Covers before the unit was shipped and had them add power locks to the toolbox and a remote pull release on the cover.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:37 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

So - I finally called Truckcovers with a couple of issues I had.
I would have to say the person on the other end was less then stellar in their costumer concerns department. Condescending to say the least

Prior to ordering I called the factory and specifically asked:
  1. Are the covers and side rails vehicle specific?
    I asked this because of several pictures I saw the trucks had what appeared to be very wide side rails. E.g. one cover width and rails made to make up for bed width.
  1. Are the tool boxes made in different sizes? Again, was it vehicle specific for my 2011 F-350.

She told me there were plenty of pictures on the website as well as dimensions of the tool box.
What I found in a new search of the website is that the tool box width dimensions are not listed and that all pictures of Fords were 150’s

I specially mentioned that I did not want either a cover with extremely wide rails or a tool box that was made for the smaller full size trucks (imports etc).

The SD’s have the widest bodies, so this was important.

The cover if you look at the pictures above fits good. The side rails are about the minimum size needed to hold up the cover, no issues there.
The toolbox is a different story however.

I didn’t take pictures that really show it, but if you look the saddle ends you can see that the truck fits well within the cab lines.
The actual tool box portion (below the rails) has approximately 5-6” of clearance on each side! That’s almost a foot of lost space. The saddle portion rests on the side rails with about ½ of steel.

The box is way undersized for a SD. When I had called a compared the TC box with a Weaaherguard for size and I was assured that the box was made for my SD.
You get a Weatherguard and you get a box made for these trucks, not a wimpy tundra or similar.

As for installation, I had an issue with clearance when I installed the cover portion. With the stops in the full release position I could not open the tailgate after closing it. The cover was too tight.
The cover was ordered for a 2011 SD with a tailgate step.
I ended up bending a key for the covert trying to get it open and popped the control rods off of the tailgate latch.
Ended up using two screwdrivers to pry open enough room to squeeze a hook in and pop the covers internal release (an option I’m extra glad I got.

I ended up removing the tailgate cover and trimming about ¼” or so off the top.

The Truckcovers rep had no sympathy or answers – pretty much the final comments were we make the best product out there and you are just mis-informed as to what a proper fit should be.

Water resistance is not the best either.

The cover is a nice cover, and about in line with similar roll top units.
The toolbox adds about a grand – and in that aspect is way overpriced.

If I was to do it again I think I would use the cover and just cut out and weld in a pocket using a Weatherguard box. Not exactly cheap but at least the tool box will be a good size.

http://www.truckcoversusa.com/html/toolbox.html

Old 03-12-2011, 09:30 PM
KG6EPF
Senior User
Sad to see that they didn't do well with the toolbox. I did lots of homework on my cover and after 9 months the Truck Covers USA rolltop looks brand new. I would have hoped they did as well with the toolbox but it appears not. With what they charge for these things, they could put a couple happy pills in the customer service folks too.

I noticed a couple days ago that someone tried to pry into the cover, but all they managed to do was scratch a little paint on the back bar and gouge a little plastic in the tailgate. Definitely a nice secure setup that I'm happy very with (be happier if I caught the knuckleheads messin with my truck!).

Old 12-16-2011, 09:27 AM
Specularius
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now that you have had this cover for a while, what are your current thoughts on? Is it holding up good?

Old 12-16-2011, 11:03 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Specularius
Now that you have had this cover for a while, what are your current thoughts on? Is it holding up good?
Still looks good and works fine. I have only had minor clogging of the drains so far in the canister that holds the roller.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:12 PM
KG6EPF
Senior User
I'm very happy with it and have had no problems at all. The installer said that I'd probably need to spray a VERY light bit of silicone on the rails after a year, and indeed now over a year later I noticed just a slight bit of hesitation in rolling up until I gave it a little spritz.

My only complaint (not that you could really call it that) is that I have a small area where the powdercoat chipped off when some knucklehead tried to pry their way in. They were unsuccessful at doing anything but causing that chipped powdercoat and a gouge in the plastic of the tailgate. It did it's job well and despite it being on the expensive side, I'd definitely buy it again.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:14 AM
Specularius
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the update. That has made up my mind, I am ordering one come Monday morning.