Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks > '80-'86 HOWTO's
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2011, 10:09 PM

ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
ctubutis ctubutis ctubutis
HOWTO - 3G Alternator Installation

Multiple sources (some off-site) concerning 3G alternator installations:

3G Alternator Install With Pictures Click the image to open in full size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bghnkinf250 View Post
Okay, I wanted to upgrade my charging system, not because I need all the power, but mainly because I wanted to get rid of the dangerous spade terminal connections on the 2G alternator. I checked around and also learned that since a larger alternator is not straining as hard to put out the same amount of amperage as a smaller alternator might, it works less and lasts longer. I searched the internet and found plenty of 3G alternator upgrades documented, but I was confused, especially with the wiring (even though it is simple) and did not find one for our trucks.

A couple of people were interested in a write up, so here goes!

There are countless reasons to upgrade, and I am not here to sell you on them. If you are considering this upgrade, then you most likely have already researched the 3G alternator and where they come from. I got mine out of a Taurus (hint if you do not know where they come from).

If you want to do the upgrade, you will need beside the tools:

3G alternator
Mega Amp fuse
As long of a length of the alternator harness and battery wire from the back of the alternator out of the donor car you got the alternator from (it never hurts to have more and have to cut it, than not enough).

I completed this for about $30 in parts including the alternator.

There are a few different ways to go about the upgrade, and I do not know if mine is best, but it is simple and straight forward.

So lets start. *****DISCONNECT THE BATTERY***** The first and hardest part of this was getting out the old alternator. You can see why:

Click the image to open in full size.

Info provided by Ford Fuel Injection » 3G Install Tech Click the image to open in full size.
Quote:
3G Install Tech

Click the image to open in full size.In 1996 Ford publicly recognized the fire hazard caused by the 2G alternator and released TSB 96214. This alternator design caused increased resistance and heat which could damage the wire harness and alternator. A small percentage of vehicles actually caught on fire!
Click the image to open in full size.Fords 3G alternator was a giant leap in technology and quality. The 3G was internally regulated, used two internal cooling fans, sealed bearings, and had a superior battery stud. The 3G’s were more efficient, and produced more amperage at idle than any of its predecessors.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:09 PM