Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Freshman User

Gizmo285 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2009 f350 v-10 block heater

These past few nights have been very cold. 10 degrees etc and I plugged my block heater in for apprx 2.5 hrs. I was expecting warm air in a few minutes from the htr and defrost after I started the engine but it seemed like it took almost as long to blow warm air as if I didn't even have a bock heater. What should be expected?? Thanks........Freezing in NY.....
Old 01-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Postmaster

J_E_Summit has a very good reputation on FTE.J_E_Summit has a very good reputation on FTE.J_E_Summit has a very good reputation on FTE.
Could you hear the block heater working? Also, did it crank over easier then it would have without the heater? I wouldn't expect to see a whole lot of difference at that temperature.

Jason
2008 F250SD XLT Chrome Supercab Long Box 5.4L Torqshift 3.73LS
SCT X3 from 5 Star, IQR Headache Rack, BetterBuilt Box, Custom Deckover
BC Chapter Member
Slackmaster #26
Old 01-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Senior User

BIGBEAR6 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I plug mine in and leave it all night, in the morning after I start it I'll have warm air in a couple of minutes. 2.5 hours is not long enough Imo.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Freshman User

I just read in the book that it reaches max gtg after 3 hours ay 0 degrees... I'll put it on a little longer next time before i fire up the engine and see if the heat blows faster........
Old 01-20-2011, 05:03 PM
New User

PhilbertMcFilibuster is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo285 View Post
These past few nights have been very cold. 10 degrees etc and I plugged my block heater in for apprx 2.5 hrs. I was expecting warm air in a few minutes from the htr and defrost after I started the engine but it seemed like it took almost as long to blow warm air as if I didn't even have a bock heater. What should be expected?? Thanks........Freezing in NY.....
With a three to four minute idle, mine takes at least two miles of travel before it blows not cold air.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:38 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilbertMcFilibuster View Post
With a three to four minute idle, mine takes at least two miles of travel before it blows not cold air.
How long was it plugged in for prior to the driving?? And what temp was it out?? Thanks.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Postmaster

J_E_Summit has a very good reputation on FTE.J_E_Summit has a very good reputation on FTE.J_E_Summit has a very good reputation on FTE.
My truck isn't the V10, but I can leave it plugged in all night and hardly notice the difference when it is that temp.

I don't usually use the block heater until it gets below zero and then it gets 3-4 hours on the timer. If it gets below -10, then I consider leaving it on all night.

If you want warm air, then you should try a 110V car heater. It is something I have been meening to do, but never gotten around to it.

Jason
BC Chapter Member
Slackmaster #26
Old 01-20-2011, 05:54 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_E_Summit View Post
My truck isn't the V10, but I can leave it plugged in all night and hardly notice the difference when it is that temp.

I don't usually use the block heater until it gets below zero and then it gets 3-4 hours on the timer. If it gets below -10, then I consider leaving it on all night.

If you want warm air, then you should try a 110V car heater. It is something I have been meening to do, but never gotten around to it.
I don't expect it to blow like a forced air furnace I was just wondering about some real world feedback. As long as the block is somewhat warmer i guess it is better for the engine. In a diesel it makes a greater difference than a gas on the effect of the startup so I guess I'll still leave it plugged in for the few cents of electric it costs. Maybe it will suprise me one day an blow 100 degree air at startup.... In the summer probably.........
Old 01-20-2011, 05:55 PM
Elder User

CraigOutdoors is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
'Bout 19 or so this mornin. Started my truck and then cleared the snow off. By the time I cleared the snow off it, I didn't need to scrape any ice. Just had to brush it off cause it all melted loose already. By the time I got in the truck, I took off my jacket.

'03 F250 Reg Cab LB Fx4 v10
Old 01-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Freshman User

Thar was with the block heater plugged in I take it??
Old 01-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Postmaster

19 is pretty warm, I wouldn't waste any money on the block heater at that temp.

Well, not with these motors.

I am not sure what the wattage is, but I would expect it to be in the 400+ range.

Jason
BC Chapter Member
Slackmaster #26
Old 01-20-2011, 08:46 PM
New User

PhilbertMcFilibuster is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
How long was it plugged in for prior to the driving?? And what temp was it out?? Thanks.
I only use it if it is below zero f (if I remember to plug it in before bedtime). It never occurred to me that a block heater was anything but a device to make the engine easier to start and cause less wear and tear on a frozen motor. No offence, but I think you may have a misperception of what the block heater's purpose is.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Elder User

CraigOutdoors is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Thar was with the block heater plugged in I take it??
Nope. She just warms up good. Its supposed to be down to 4 tonite. We'll see how she does tomorrow. I can't keep the heat all the way up for more than a 15 or 20 min drive or it turns into a sauna. I can only hope the A/C works as well in the summer.

'03 F250 Reg Cab LB Fx4 v10
Old 01-20-2011, 09:31 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
2009, 350, block, duty, f250, f350, ford, heat, heater, location, standard, super, temperature, truck, v10, working