Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Senior User

valiant500hp is starting off with a positive reputation.
02' Black Smoke No Start

I've got an 02' F-350. As some know, I just put Stage 2 injectors in it from Casserly. Anyway, I was trying to run the tank low since it had about 5 gallons of oil pumped into it. Trip gauge said I had about 30 miles till empty. Left work to go get lunch and while getting on the highway up to speed and it spuddered like it was out of fuel and died. Went and got 8 gallons of fuel. Truck turns over real fast (new batteries) and blows black smoke but won't start.

Glow Plug light comes on. This mean the fuel bowl heater is working or fuse isn't blown?

Fuel pumps out of the fuel bowl. Haven't changed the filter yet, but with it smoking it seems fuel is in the cylinders.

Will a CPS cause it to smoke but not start?

Oil level is good.

Truck is sitting on the side of the road while my dad goes home to get his truck to tow it home.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan
DP-Tuner F6, Irate T4, S468, T-500, AFE Intake, MBRP Stainless 4" Exhaust, Riffraff OCR, Casserly Stage II's, Riffraff FRx, Rebuilt 4R100 w/ Suncoast Triple Disc Converter, 6.0L Trans Cooler. 37x12.50R16.5 Super Swamper Trxus MT's w/ 6" Icon Lift. Locker Front & Rear w/ Heavy Duty Warn Hubs
Old 01-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Post Fiend

F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Glow plug light staying on usually indicates a problem with a PCM circuit not powering up. Usually we don't see any smoke with this, but sometimes we do.

Start by taking the key out of the ignition and pulling the chip to rule that out. A loose chip can do this. Then try wiggling wiring under the hood including below and behind the 42 pin connector, the ICP harness and the IPR harness. Also try the harness that goes over the top of the front driver shock.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
Old 01-19-2011, 06:30 PM
Postmaster

tdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to behold
I'm not sure but here is a bump for you.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Senior User

valiant500hp is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the bump, TD

Well, I went back with my dad to get the truck off the side of the highway. This was after I had already put 8 gallons of diesel in it and it wouldn't start, but blew black smoke.

Anyway, when I got there, I unhooked the ICP sensor and tried to start the truck. It fired up and spuddered and died. Tried again and got it running for about 10 seconds and shut it off. Plugged the ICP sensor back in and it started again. Drove off to a better location and put some more fuel in it. It was missing and coughing a lot, but figure it had air in the system.

On my way home, the truck had no power. It would barely get up to speed and was shuddering quite a bit. Even when I got up to 60 mph it was shuddering. Drove about 30 miles home, stopped at the fuel station, filled up and it was still missing at an idle and shuddering while driving. Got almost home and decided to stand on it. Floored it and it kinda accelerated and I got it up to 75 mph and let out of it. The miss went away.

Got home and changed the fuel filter, it ran fine. Took it for a quick drive and it seemed to drive fine.

Next morning, I started it and it started fine, but was missing again. Got on to the freeway and it was shuddering the entire time I had it on cruise at 70 mph. Decided once again to stand on it and it went away after I took it up to over 80 mph. Now I stand on it and it runs fine.

Is there anything that will cause the truck to miss/shudder, but goes away if you stand on the truck and run it real hard? Really confusing. Could the ICP have been bad which cause the truck to die in the first place?
DP-Tuner F6, Irate T4, S468, T-500, AFE Intake, MBRP Stainless 4" Exhaust, Riffraff OCR, Casserly Stage II's, Riffraff FRx, Rebuilt 4R100 w/ Suncoast Triple Disc Converter, 6.0L Trans Cooler. 37x12.50R16.5 Super Swamper Trxus MT's w/ 6" Icon Lift. Locker Front & Rear w/ Heavy Duty Warn Hubs
Old 01-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Postmaster

tdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to behold
Do you know anybody with AE scanner? There are quite a few members in your area that might be willing to help. You could also post in your local chapter.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Gone Fishin for Mark

joegebff has a great reputation on FTE.joegebff has a great reputation on FTE.joegebff has a great reputation on FTE.joegebff has a great reputation on FTE.
Dont know why it would go away....UVCH comes to my mind.

'99.5 F-35O 4x4 Auto CC Short bed 239K
Kwik w/Pete's cover, CCV,
Foil Delete, AIH Delete,
Ranch Hand bumpers F&R
Predator Programmer(don't get one)
Re-man tranny @ 23OK
Aluminum lined bed

People pay better attention when they notice I have the safety OFF!
Old 01-21-2011, 12:28 PM
that guy

diesel-fitter-bum01 has a good reputation on FTE.diesel-fitter-bum01 has a good reputation on FTE.
Tyler Murphy
Sounds like it's starving for fuel. Did you get your DP upgraded once you installed your stage two's? Weak fuel pump? Fuel psi? Just throwing out ideas.
Mine E99 F-350 sc sb 4x4 updated to L99,308K,FF 250's,arp,uppies,T-500,RR,HPX,4" straightpipe,T4/s366,built trans,airdog,swamps hf/hv,fuel sump,melling lpop,water inj,and DP F6 tunes. lots of little stuff. 01 Ex & 02 ccsb
Old 01-21-2011, 12:28 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
60l, 73l, black, blowing, cps, died, diesel, fuel, glow plug, no start, powerstroke, smoke, start, starving, won't start