1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

OT: skidloader help

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 03:46 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
OT: skidloader help

We have a little LS140 new holland skidloader we bought when we started our business and it's been great. I believe it's a 2000. Anyway, the seat belt safety thing is pi$$ing me off. I have no problem wearing the seat belt if the safety thing works right. You need to fasten it to start it. It's always been a pain in the butt. You'd have to fasten it a couple different times or bang on it after it is fastened in to get the little light to go off so you can start it. It's been real bad the last couple times I tried to use it. There's 2 wires running to a plug then one wire on the other side of the plug coming from the seat belt latch side. Anybody know a fix or a way to bypass it?

Old 01-19-2011, 03:51 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Might be best to replace the switch . I was ejected from a skid steer in 88 due to the seat belt latch having dirt in it. Almost killed me . If you by pas anything , some will be likely to not use the belt ...

Old 01-19-2011, 03:55 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ya, don't bypass it, get it fixed... I know if I didn't have to fasten the belt to start the one I used to run, I wouldn't have worn it.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:57 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
I'll call the dealer tomorrow and check it out. I wouldn't be at all worried about me or my buddy, but once in a while dad does get in it and I'd hate to see something happen. He's not that good with it anyway.. Thanks Rick and Travis

Old 01-19-2011, 04:06 PM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And I know it's you all operating it but if you sell it and someone else gets hurt on it. The whole mess could come back on you. You know how it is anymore when someone gets hurt. SUE SUE SUE

Old 01-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
I'll call the dealer tomorrow and check it out. I wouldn't be at all worried about me or my buddy, but once in a while dad does get in it and I'd hate to see something happen. He's not that good with it anyway.. Thanks Rick and Travis
maybe yours just needs a good cleaning too...

Old 01-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Okay. I've been here with this one personally.

They have some grounding issues in the seat + the belt.
There is a sensor for the seat and the belt to start it, though you can get out and it will stay running.

Check and clean the wiring on the buckle, its just checking to see if the buckle is plugged in.

The seat sensor is when the seat actually "seats" to the frame.
The one i used got rusted, had to clean it.

Before that we had problems like you did with the buckle only, and that was actually fixed with a computer repair.

The buckle and seat sensor don't stop the steering of the machine, just the arm usage.

Hope this helped some.
It's a buggy system after it gets dirty and used.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
Ya, don't bypass it, get it fixed... I know if I didn't have to fasten the belt to start the one I used to run, I wouldn't have worn it.
On the big Skid Steers a Seat belt isnt' as big of a deal, cause they are huge.

but these little LS's like he's talking about, you can physically walk up to it and push it over.
the ls125 we had you could anyways. you WANT to wear your belt in these things.
Just turning them can flip them. They buck and do some really strange things.

Wheelies are as easy as pressing forward on the sticks.
GREAT for small spaces, but useless for lots of other things.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:04 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
It is small, not quite that small, but I get your point. I agree, you do want the seat belt on. I'll check it out some more. I'll try a little cleaning. I should bring it in the shop I guess and thaw it out some. I've got to wear too many clothes to stay warm working outside and won't hardly fit in there to work on it! Thanks for the suggestions.

We have set 50' rafters, 15' high sidewalls on a pole barn with it before we got our forklift so it is a small but fairly stout sucker. We bought it new in 2000. Only thing we've done to it is change one sensor other than normal maintenance.

Again, thanks. I'll investigate further..

Old 01-19-2011, 06:08 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can try blowing out the buckle real good first and see if that does it. If not blow out all the connections next. If it's not a cab model they like to get water in them. skid loaders are so much fun. Look for corrosion on the pins of the connectors too. I worked at a dealer selling those when yours was new. Great machines.

I also say not to disable it. I've had two bad accidents working on them. One I had just finished rebuilding the engine in. I don't know someone else in the shop "borrowed" the gas in it because the gauge was broke. I drove it out the back door and started down the long hill and the engine died. I didn't have a bucket on it so I was just SOL for stopping. I must have got up to about 40 mph before slamming into a big 1070 case at the bottom of the lot 200 yards away. NOT FUN! guess what. NO seat belt. I ate that case front tire for lunch and broke the safety bar in the skid steer with my chest.

The other time, also no seat belt, I had a 8 foot wide bucket which was really too big and it was full of wet manure from our wash pit. I went to the edge of the lot to dump it down into a big pit we had. The pit was about 100 feet down and really really steep. There was a dirt bank at the top to keep people from driving over the edge. Well stupid me, lifted the bucket up real high while I was still moving. Then I pulled the joystick back to stop too fast and went end over end down that pit. That was a wild ride. I can't believe the boss didn't get mad. Not a word out of him. I was his only dozer mechanic and he liked me I guess. If that one hadn't had a cab I'd be mince meat now.
Moral of the story is them things can be a little dangerous!

Old 01-19-2011, 06:18 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Thanks RRranch, I'll try to blow out the buckle and connections first, could very well have some crap in there. Sure an easy test anyway. And I would have you know whatted my pants with either one of the rides you took!

Old 01-19-2011, 06:48 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Well, the seat gets rusted where it connects.
Thats what I noticed.

I dont know what was the deal when it was the buckle.
I just know they replaced the computer with that. I fixed the seat issue with ours.
The buckle part wasn't working well with the the seat not seating, soon as i fixed the seat, no problems again.

Ours was a 115 or 125, bit smaller than yours.
you can't really push them over that easy, but it gives a good minds eye view of how small and unstable tehse things are.

I missed using the 665, that thing is beastly.
I ran an 885 one time, and that thing was badass!

Old 01-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
If you got some electronics cleaner, spray that down in the buckle.

might help.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:34 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Took the buckle off today and it looked trashed inside there. I called the dealer and they had one in stock so picking it up today. No way to take the old one even apart to look at it closer, although what it looks like from up top isn't good. Have to buy a complete seat belt and buckle but that's the way it goes. I'll put it in tomorrow.

Thanks guys.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Let us know if it works.

Sucks they make these systems so poorly.