Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > 1968-2013 Full Size Vans
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2011, 03:32 PM
New User

IM2HI2CU is starting off with a positive reputation.
1985 E150 dual tank wiring

I have searched around trying to find a wiring diagram for the fuel delivery system. I have a 1985 Ford E150 with dual gas tanks. I have a Chilton Ford Pick-Up and Bronco 1976-1986 but the wiring diagram for the 1985 F150 does not match the color wires for the plug at the fuel tank switch.

I have a replacement switch that was produced by Ford (Motorcraft switch E6UB-9A050-AB) and the wire connector plug (Ford D9AB-14489-JD) to be spliced into the existing wire harness coming out from the center of the dashboard.

OK, here is my problem. The stock wiring connector has 5 wires going into the stock switch. The stock switch also has offset terminals so it will only go on one way.

My replacement switch has 6 symmetrical terminals. The replacement wire connector has 4 wires coming out of the back of the connector switch to be spliced into the existing wiring and two of the wires double back to other terminals for a total of 6.

The stock color wires are:

green/red
black/orange
red/yellow
orange
green

The replacement color wires:

black
red/yellow
red/tan
brown/orange

Autozone lists a switch for my year that have 6 screw connections (SW48) but I wouldn’t know how to wire that switch to my stock wiring, or what terminals doubled-back to another terminal.

Urgh!!!! I hope that I explained my problem with enough information. Thanks guys.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:02 AM
Post Fiend

subford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud of
That switch will not work.
Here is a wiring diagram:
Click the image to open in full size.

and how it works

/
77 F250 351M-2V NP 435/4 Speed 4X4
subford@gmail.com
Bill K, Kansas Chapter
Old 01-22-2011, 11:05 PM
New User

You nailed it! Thanks for the info.

I just got it hooked up and i can hear the solenoid switching, the gauge goes from way below E when the ignition is off, to right on E when the ignition is on. When I switch tanks there is hardly movement in the needle and hovers around E, if not moving at all.

I new that both tanks were almost empty, I will get some gas tomorrow.

I will look at it tomorrow when i have more time. Maybe I wired it up reverse to the one-way connector...
Old 01-28-2011, 12:23 AM
Freshman User

swgaspidey is starting off with a positive reputation.
Should have gone to LMC trucks and got the right switch would have made the job easier.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:03 AM
New User

Did you see the price for the switch! Is there a RS equivalent like a DPDT, 6-pole 12VDC/25A Heavy-duty switch. Even the one from AZ is $15. (yes I am a cheapskate) Maybe a few dollars at the RS. I just need the tech info for the switch to take to RS.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:29 PM
New User

Problem solved!

fficeffice" />>>
I grounded both gages and both peg full.>>
> >
Went to RS and got a switch DPDT 10A 6-pole toggle switch with center off position (#275-1533). Everything works! The additional perk is to have the central off position to turn both fuel supplies off. Oh, and it cost $4.27 including tax.>>
> >
Thanks for the info. The wire color was critical. What name book are you using; I need the one for the 85 Ford Van and a 79 Bronco. Very informative.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:42 AM
Post Fiend

subford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud of
The diagrams were from Fords 1985 Econoline "Electrical & Vacuum Trouble-Shooting Manual" 0335-522-85.
subford@gmail.com
Bill K, Kansas Chapter
Old 02-20-2011, 12:05 PM
New User

Round 2 - Eat crow.

1. Don't get the switch from RS. It didn't work and the housing broke away from the base after about 30 times. Get the one from AZ. Just me trying to be clever.

2. I am a little slow. I need to have the colors assign to the terminals. The terminal number is marked on the base of the switch right next to the terminal. The orientation is 1-2-3 on the left side of the switch and 4-5-6 is on the right side of the switch.

As it stands now:

The SW48 switch is wired as:

1 - GREEN/RED
2 - GREEN
3 - ORANGE
4 - BROWN/ORANGE
5 - RED/YELLOW
6 - NOT USED

With RUN gages hover around 'E', not pegging empty or full.
ground gages - peg 'F', both gages

I didn't wired it different until I talk to you, I didn't want to blow something up.

Thanks for helping me.
IM2HI2CU
James
Old 02-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Post Fiend

When it does not peg with the switch and is pointing to "E" more than likely the float has sunk.
Sounds like you wired the switch right.
subford@gmail.com
Bill K, Kansas Chapter
Old 02-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Senior User

turbogus is starting off with a positive reputation.
Man, these days I'd just like to ADD a second tank to my '81 E150 what with fuel prices going up weekly.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:09 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > 1968-2013 Full Size Vans

Tags
1985, 9a050, ab, diagram, dual, e150, e6ub, f250, find, ford, motorcraft, switch, tank, truck, wire, wiring