Sponsored by: Moser

Drive Train Slip/Bump

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:51 AM
myke57
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive Train Slip/Bump

Hi - I just joined this forum and this is my first post. I'd like some opinions please. I bought a new 2010 F150 4X4 Supercab. I've only put 2,000 miles on it so far but had it back to the dealer already. Every time I step on the gas from a stop I feel one or two little "bumps" as I've learned they're called. It kind of feels like a couple of teeth are missing from the rear end gear. So I did some poking around and found a few TSB's from Ford concerning the drive train on the 09's and 10's including the exact problem I'm having.

It seems there's a drive shaft spline problem. The Dealer mechanic said he "couldn't duplicate the problem" which is their famous phrase when they don't know what the hell to do or don't want to be bothered. So I made him take a test drive with me and sure enough he had to admit he felt the slip/bump also. He said it's normal, just axle wind-up. He said it was nothing to worry about but added, "If it gets worse, bring it back in." Why would it get worse if it's normal? What idiots. So I printed out the TSB that addresses the problem and I'll go back there tomorrow. It's a shame that I have to print out and show the dealer their own TSB in order to prove the problem is not normal.

Here's what I need opinions on. Is this fixable, permanently? If not properly fixed will it just be an annoying problem or will it lead to some failure and a break down? I Googled the problem and read a complaint online from a guy who said the dealer greased the splines on his drive shaft and the problem came back a few thousand miles later. He brought it back and they greased it again and it was fine for another few thousand. The third time he brought it back he said the splines were so worn they had to replace the drive shaft. I figure they just greased it as a Band-Aid fix either because they don't know what they're doing or just too lazy to do it right. It shows more than greasing to fix the problem in the TSB.

I'm a little nervous now about this truck. I bought it to pull a 30 foot camper that I just bought. The truck came with the trailer package and it's supposed to pull 9,700 lbs the way it's set up. The trailer weighs 6,400 lbs dry. I travel light so I expect to be towing under 7,000 pounds. I just don't want to be stuck on the side of the road towing a trailer and my drive shaft sitting in the gutter.... Thanx for any advice.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:37 PM
beidle99
Senior User
You will be fine, I had mine done the TSB performed at my first oil change (5000 miles) and it has not returned in the last 7000+ miles. I havn't towed with my truck but I have hauled alot in the bed ie. top soil a couple times, mulch a couple times, and lumber for a few home improvemnet projects.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:51 PM
myke57
New User
Great to hear. Thanx. Now I can reduce my blood pressure meds.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Monkie
New User
Could i get that tsb number and what info you can give?

Thanks

Old 01-19-2011, 06:34 PM
myke57
New User
TSB Main Page
TSB
09-25-5 REAR DRIVESHAFT SLIP/BUMP - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 12/1/2009

Publication Date: December 7, 2009

FORD: 2009-2010 F-150

ISSUE:
Some 2009-2010 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 2 piece driveshaft only and built on or before 12/1/2009 may exhibit a rear driveshaft slip/bump concern on light to moderate acceleration from a stop or when coming to stop with light braking.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

It is not necessary to remove the entire driveshaft from the vehicle for this repair.

Place orientation marks on the rear driveshaft flange and differential pinion flange.
Mark the center slip yoke barrel across the boot and the clamp crimp heads to the rear shaft spline stud shoulder. (Figure 1)

Figure 1 - Article 09-25-5

Remove the clamps from the center slip yoke and discard.
Remove the rear axle to driveshaft flange fasteners and remove the rear portion of the driveshaft only.
Remove the boot
With a clean towel thoroughly clean old grease from the splines on the slip yoke and the stud shaft. Do not use solvent.
On 4X4 vehicles only, using hand tools, loosen the center bearing bolts and slide the center bearing fully rearward in the slotted holes. Torque fasteners to 35 lb-ft (48 N-m). Refer to WSM, Section 205-01 for detail.
Evenly coat the driveshaft splines with 0.53-0.71 ounces (15-20 grams) of Motorcraft® PTFE Lubricant.
Position boot and clamps over the spline portion of the driveshaft. Do not crimp the clamp at this time.
Install the rear portion of the driveshaft into the center slip yoke.
Fasten driveshaft flange to the rear axle using the previous alignment marks for reference. Refer to WSM, Section 205-01 for detail.
Position the clamp heads in-line with the alignment mark on the slip yoke and stud spline shoulder to minimize any balance shift.
Crimp clamps using ESST 205-343.
Other driveline noise conditions will not be corrected with this procedure. Refer to appropriate WSM for diagnosis and repair for engagement clunk, hesitation during light throttle 1-2 upshift, harsh downshift while coasting 15 MPH (24 Km/h) and, shudder/vibration on moderate to hard acceleration. See other applicable Technical Service Bulletins for details.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
XG-8 Motorcraft® PTFE Lubricant
9L3Z-4421-A Spline Boot
9L3Z-3B478-A Clamp (2 Req.)

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
09-15-4, 09-11-5, 09-22-12

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
092505A 2009-2010 F-150: Clean And Lubricate The Splines Of The Driveshaft Slip Yoke Following The Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.5 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
4602 41

Old 01-19-2011, 11:29 PM
blueovelboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
funny i just took mine in today as a matter of fact.
i had to set in the waiting room on my laptop to pull up the TSB to show the service writer. once he had it (TSB) he was all over it. so here's what thay wrote on my service order

cust states vehicle dose not shift properly from 1 to 2
gears also when coming to a stop 2-1 dose not feel right,
check and advise.

tech(s):236 transmission: hours: = warranty
checked fluid level & condition-ok. performed elect test
& verified slight bump twice. DTC U0100 TCM communications lost. cleared codes & performed adaptive drive cycle. perform SSM21470 - all shift good at this time

put in layman terms thay reset my transmission to a learning mode and drove it around for half a tank of gas.

on ride home it was like new. so i drove around about way home just to see if it would come back. now i have put 30 miles on it so far and not so much as a shake when it shifts

hope this was / is the fix we all need! ill keep you posted on how it acts. tomorrow ill be driving about 300 mile round trip.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:19 AM
DavidT.
Elder User
Originally Posted by blueovelboy
hope this was / is the fix we all need! ill keep you posted on how it acts. tomorrow ill be driving about 300 mile round trip.
Report back please on your 300 mile round trip and perhaps in the future too.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:37 AM
myke57
New User
The "bump" during shifting from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 1st is actually another TSB. I've read the TSB that concerns that problem. My problem is the "bump" when starting out from a dead stop which is a different TSB that addresses the drive shaft splines. But I also experience the problem that you had at times. I just don't want to lay too many complaints on them at one time since they can't seem to handle even one properly, ha-ha. So I figure I'll give them the drive shaft TSB first, although that TSB talks about lubricating the shaft splines. I can't figure out how that's a fix. How can the splines need grease when the truck only has 2,000 miles on it? ....Thanks for the reply. Let us know if your fix worked for the shifting bump.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:27 PM
beidle99
Senior User
Myke,
I know with my truck it sat on the lot, only had 10 miles on the OD, manufactured 10/30/09 and I purchased 2/13/10, and that seemed to be the problem with the 2 piece drive shaft lube. If they sat to long the lube must have settled to the bottom of the boot.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:48 PM
myke57
New User
"If they sat to long the lube must have settled to the bottom of the boot."

Wow, now THAT makes sense. That's great if that's all it is. I'm not sure how to tell when my truck was built. Is it somewhere in the VIN? But mine also had low miles when I bought it, 12 to be exact, and I bought it near the end of 2010 so I know it sat for months. I'll know more after I make the dealer lube it again.... Thanx a lot!

Old 01-20-2011, 10:41 PM
blueovelboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok as promised i did my 300 + miles today. most of it was doing 70+ down the freeway. only thing i can tell for sure is that it seems to have a better throttle response when trying to pass. when i got to Fresno i did like three trips to home depot for parts (7 miles round trip) not once did i feel the slip / bump i had. butt i did notice it seems to shift like its more solid. the 1-2 and 2-1 shifts like it should now in my opinion. once i got home and took my trailer back to the storage yard i felt a slight bump setting at a light. the wife didn't feel it but shes in la la land when shes in the truck! it seems to have been a good start to fix the problem but only time will tell! my x neighbor there told me to look in to a good after market torque converter that would solve every thing? he is a dodge ASE certified mechanic who got laid off last June dont think i can trust him to much. if he was a good mechanic he would have found a job by now right?

Old 01-21-2011, 06:03 AM
myke57
New User
Thanks for the report - There's another TSB for the 2010 F150 (09-22-12) about a shudder/vibration when accelerating with a load in the truck or pulling a trailer. When the bed of the truck goes down because of weight it changes the angle of the drive shaft. The fix from Ford is to adjust drive shaft / pinion angle to comensate for the added weight on the truck by shimming it. The only problem Ford says is that it will fix the vibration when the truck is weighted down but then it may vibrate when unloaded! I can't win, ha-ha. Well, it's winter now so I can't try out pulling my new camper (6,800 lbs) till spring. I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:35 PM
F150Atlanta
New User
Weird F150 "thump" in driveline after complete stop

I just purchased a 2009 F150 Lariat from Carmax in August with 105K on the odometer. This F150 truck was in mint condition except for the shudder noise starting at a stop light. I had a 30 day warranty from Carmax so I took this truck over to them to document the noise and that a TSB had been issued to repair it. They said no problem and to take it to Sandy Springs Ford Dealership for service. Problem fixed!

Thank you Ilmo for the info on this TSB!

TSB
10-22-6
  • REAR DRIVESHAFT SLIP/BUMP - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 12/1/2009
[***************]Publication Date: November 3, 2010[/COLOR]

FORD:
2009-2010 F-150
This article supersedes TSB 09-25-5 to update the Service Procedure.
ISSUE:

Some 2009-2010 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 2-piece driveshaft only and built on or before 12/1/2009 may exhibit a rear driveshaft slip/bump concern on light to moderate acceleration from a stop or when coming to a stop with light braking.
ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

It is not necessary to remove the entire driveshaft from the vehicle for this repair.
  1. Mark the rear driveshaft flange and differential pinion flange.
  2. Mark the center slip yoke barrel across the boot and the clamp crimp heads to the rear shaft spline stud shoulder. (Figure 1)

[***************][/COLOR]
    Figure 1 - Article 10-22-6
  3. Remove the clamps from the center slip yoke and discard.
  4. Remove the rear axle to driveshaft flange fasteners and remove the rear portion of the driveshaft only.
  5. Remove the boot.
  6. With a clean towel thoroughly clean old grease from the splines on the slip yoke only. Do not use solvent.
  7. On 4X4 vehicles only, using hand tools, loosen the center bearing bolts and slide the center bearing fully rearward in the slotted holes.
  8. Torque fasteners to 35 lb-ft (48 N-m). Refer to WSM, Section 205-01 for detail.
  9. Apply an even coat of Motorcraft® PTFE Lubricant to the internal splines of the yoke only. Amount of lubricant applied to the yoke should be 1/2 of the tube contents. (Figure 2)

[***************][/COLOR]
    Figure 2 - Article 10-22-6
  10. Position boot and clamps over the spline portion of the driveshaft. Do not crimp the clamp at this time.
  11. Install the rear portion of the driveshaft into the center slip yoke.
  12. Fasten driveshaft flange to the rear axle using the previous alignment marks for reference. Refer to WSM, Section 205-01 for detail.
  13. Position the clamp heads in-line with the alignment mark on the slip yoke and stud spline shoulder to minimize any balance shift.
  14. Crimp clamps using service tool ESST 205-343.
    Other driveline noise conditions will not be corrected with this procedure. Refer to appropriate WSM for diagnosis and repair for engagement clunk, hesitation during light throttle 1-2 upshift, harsh downshift while coasting 15 MPH (24 Km/h) and, shudder/vibration on moderate to hard acceleration. See other applicable Technical Service Bulletins for details.

PART NUMBER
PART NAME
XG-8
Motorcraft® PTFE Lubricant
9L3Z-4421-A
Spline Boot
9L3Z-3B478-A
Clamp (2 Req.)
WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
OPERATION
DESCRIPTION
TIME
102206A
2009-2010 F-150: Clean And Lubricate The Splines Of The Driveshaft Slip Yoke Following The Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
0.5 Hr.
DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO.
CONDITION CODE

Old 09-24-2013, 06:49 PM
Buck268
Elder User
Originally Posted by myke57
The "bump" during shifting from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 1st is actually another TSB. I've read the TSB that concerns that problem. My problem is the "bump" when starting out from a dead stop which is a different TSB that addresses the drive shaft splines. But I also experience the problem that you had at times. I just don't want to lay too many complaints on them at one time since they can't seem to handle even one properly, ha-ha. So I figure I'll give them the drive shaft TSB first, although that TSB talks about lubricating the shaft splines. I can't figure out how that's a fix. How can the splines need grease when the truck only has 2,000 miles on it? ....Thanks for the reply. Let us know if your fix worked for the shifting bump.
Do you happen to have a link or any further info in this TSB?

Old 09-24-2013, 06:59 PM
F150Atlanta
New User
Originally Posted by Buck268
Do you happen to have a link or any further info in this TSB?
No...I personally do not have any other information.