Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > EcoBoost (3.5L, 2.0L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

EcoBoost (3.5L, 2.0L) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6 and 2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Posting Guru

Biggziff is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Biggziff is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You guys see this eco boost article?

What the Inside of a Tortured Ford EcoBoost V-6 Looks Like - PickupTrucks.com News

I suspect it's posted elsewhere on this forum, but I thought some may have missed it. Pretty impressive!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Posting Guru

Byram has a good reputation on FTE.Byram has a good reputation on FTE.
Good Link - Thanks

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
Old 01-19-2011, 11:51 AM

2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold
I'll be interested to see how the Explorer version does... If all goes well, I might actually purchase one even though my previous 2 Explorers ('02/'04) were piles of crap! heh...

Well, I guess I won't be getting the eco boost in a new Explorer, only available in FWD per the following article. Wifey needs AWD for winter conditions! Lame.

The difference is likely due to the fact that the EcoBoost engine is only available with front-wheel drive, while the V6 is offered with either front- or all-wheel drive.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/26/2...gine-above-v6/

Matt
2011 F350 - 6.2 CC, LB, 4.30s, Lariat Ultimate pkg, FX4, Amp steps, Lockpick, AC LC6i, JL HD900/5, JL 13TW5, JL C5-570's, Bilstein 7100 stabilizer, Rancho RS9000XL's, Leveled w/ 35" Toyo M/T's and 5 Star tuned
**Sold - 2000 F250 V10, 6.5" Pro Comp, 37" Toyo MT's

Last edited by 2000silverbullet; 01-19-2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: did a little reading...
Old 01-20-2011, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Why was everyone bitching about 13% compression loss? If it's within 10% of the rest of the cylinders, it's good, but after all this abuse 13% is too much? Humph...
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 01-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Posting Guru

Biggziff is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Biggziff is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krewat View Post
Why was everyone bitching about 13% compression loss? If it's within 10% of the rest of the cylinders, it's good, but after all this abuse 13% is too much? Humph...
It wasn't compression, it was leak down, but ya...haterz gotta hate!
Old 01-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Very interesting article. Reading the comments is always a laugh.

From the article.
"A leakdown test was performed to measure how well the engine’s 24 intake and exhaust valves and piston rings were still able to seal the cylinders. One cylinder was found to have a cautionary 13 percent air loss past the combustion chamber’s seals, while all other cylinders were acceptable with single digits of air leakage."

So far the EB engines are impressive I just think they will be a money hole for guys like me who keep vehicles over an extended period of time. I guess time will tell.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggziff View Post
It wasn't compression, it was leak down, but ya...haterz gotta hate!
Yeah, I read that wrong in the comments.

And it was still able on the dyno to produce within 1HP of it's advertised peak, and exactly the same torque.

I wonder what it did when it was brand-new and properly broken in, exceeded the specs?
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 01-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Elder User

jsimon724 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Article stated that the engine was run for 300 hours on a dyno, then stated that it was equivalent to 150,000 miles. So how do they come up with that figure? 150,000miles/300hours=500mph avg. I understand that it's not actually in a truck and I guess they're running that thing wide open?? Still 150,000 mile equivalent seems high.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krewat View Post

I wonder what it did when it was brand-new and properly broken in, exceeded the specs?
Probably not. A recent Consumer Reports tested an initial year Prius and then compared it against the original test they did 10 years ago (I think it was 10 years). It tested nearly exactly the same. That seems to show that at least with the Prius, it simply didn't wear much in all that time.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:49 PM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon724 View Post
Article stated that the engine was run for 300 hours on a dyno, then stated that it was equivalent to 150,000 miles. So how do they come up with that figure? 150,000miles/300hours=500mph avg. I understand that it's not actually in a truck and I guess they're running that thing wide open?? Still 150,000 mile equivalent seems high.
Its a publicity stunt. Ford is trying to get people all excited to run out and buy one. My gut tells me after 10 years and 150k miles the 3.5l EB will not fare as well as in the test.

As I said earlier the EB engines make impressive power however for my money I'll spend less on the less complex 6.2l and still get great power and decent mpg.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:49 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > EcoBoost (3.5L, 2.0L)

Tags
62, boost, buy, drive, eco, ecoboost, f150, ford, hand, magnaflow, put, ranch, truck, v10, wheel