Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield washers don't work- low pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 10:34 AM
zimman20
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you guys try to help me out here?

My '95 F350 is having a problem with the pressure on the windshield washer fluid when spraying the windshield; the fluid kind of splashes up on the lower portion of the windshield and doesn't get high enough to do any good, I don't get the more powerful fan/mist of fluid at a high enough point to be able to wash the windshield.

Took off the nozzles that are mounted on the hood deck and they are not the old style that you could 'point' with a needle, they are plastic and have no way of pointing them. Blew them out and nothing blocking them.

Is this a known problem with the later model Fords with the washer fluid pumps? Do ya'll think it's the pump that is the cause of the low pressure? I'm definitely getting fluid through both lines coming from the pump so I don't think there's any blockage, but of course can't get to them anyway because you need to take the pump off to get to the lines/hoses.

Can anybody advise? Thanks in advance for any assist! I don't mind changing the pump if that's what it is but don't want to spend the $$ if it's something else. Thanks again....

zman

Old 01-03-2003, 11:10 AM
SPROCKET
Senior User

Make sure the tubes are hooked uo all the way.

they plug into the bottom of the washer fluid tank.

Old 01-03-2003, 12:02 PM
zimman20
Senior User

Yeah, they're hooked up, I'm getting VOLUME of washer fluid to both nozzles but no PRESSURE to fan it out and make it go high enough so that the wipers can hit it. Getting a lot of fluid right at the base of the windshield that the wipers can't bring up to clean the window.

Anybody know if the PRESSURE I'm lacking would be due to a bad pump?

zman

Old 01-03-2003, 10:30 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 03-Jan-03 AT 11:31 PM (EST)]If the pump was bad, you wouldn't get volume OR pressure.

If you're getting a STRAIGHT stream of water coming from the nozzles to the glass, you just need to aim the nozzles with a paperclip or other hardened wire. Just stick the wire in & turn the nozzle (it's a metal ball inside the plastic housing) slightly, then test the sprayer to check the aim. Remember that when you're doing 80mph, it will blow against the glass slightly lower; that's why I aim mine SLIGHTLY high when I'm parked.

If you're getting a curved but heavy stream, then your nozzles would seem to be damaged somehow, possibly by too large a wire being used to aim them. You can get nozzles in junkyards for nothing if you're buying something else.

You might get them to spray right by removing them from the truck (just reach underneath at each notch on the side with a small probe to release the 2 lock clips) and blasting them backward with a water hose or car wash sprayer. Before reattaching the hose to the nozzles, run the pump to clear any debris from the line.

Old 01-03-2003, 11:07 PM
groundrat
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I disagree... I think that he may have a bad pump. Something internal to the pump could have gone bad ie a seal or gasket of some sort causing the low pressure. The only way to tell would be to rule out the lines. You do not have any fluid leaking out of the correct? I would check that. If there is a hole in the line or a crack there would not be enough pressure to spray the fluid where you need it. If all of you lines are good with no blocks and no leaks I would replace the pump. Just my $.02...

Bill

Old 01-09-2003, 12:04 AM
forddytube
Elder User

Old 01-10-2003, 09:54 AM
zimman20
Senior User

Thanks for the input, guys.

Update: Groundrat was right, it was the pump. Bought it at Pep Boys ($15.00) and replaced it last night, I have full pressure again.

I forgot that the pump on these trucks (my '87 and now my '95, don't know which others or if that's still the case on the newer models) is integral to the reservoir tank and not part of the wiper motor assembly. Took me about an hour and most of that was getting the reservoir in/out without making a mess.

zman