Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2011, 08:14 AM
Posting Guru
Garage is empty, add now

RRranch is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.RRranch is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
finding bio is a pain!

There are at least 5 companies listed in Lubbock as Bio diesel suppliers. All of them claiming to be producing over a million gallons a year. NOT ONE answers the phone but I did find out that brownfield biodiesel is out of business and trying to sell it. That's nice. I bought a new tractor a couple years ago with the new tier 4 diesel and rated to run on B100 because that place was so close.

Does anyone have any advice for finding a local retailer. I'm not having any luck at all with any of the online lists.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Post Fiend
Garage is empty, add now

CampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputation
I just went on a site that claims to have a list, and it does, but not a very complete list. Check with some truck stops. Some of the Love's and Pilot truck stops sell biodiesel. It's usually B5 though.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:45 AM
Posting Guru
Garage is empty, add now

RRranch is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.RRranch is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Loves here is nuts on their price. It was 3.42 this morning. I asked them last week if it's really bio in the tanks because they have the sticker on the pumps and the manager told me that was old. No longer biodiesel. I need to check with the other ones but generally the truck stops here are just too high to buy from. They scam on the truckers that all have to come through here.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:49 AM
1935 Ford pickup

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Try here: Biodiesel.org - Producers&Marketers

You could make it yourself..................
Old 01-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Posting Guru
Garage is empty, add now

That site was no help either but thanks. This morning I called every single business listed in our county for biodiesel and every single one was out of business or a scam of some sort.
I really do want to make it myself. That's coming soon when I have the money. My neighbor is blowing the dust off an old oil press he has and giving it to me. I was going to try some things we already grow here and see what happens. I heard alfalfa was a good oil source and we grow lots of that. Can't wait to see. I just ain't got the cash to set up my own processor right now and would like to be able to buy it without driving to dallas.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:56 PM
1935 Ford pickup

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Alfalfa has no oil.........Canola and Soy are the most used crops for oil.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Posting Guru
Garage is empty, add now

huh? UT and Texas tech were both doing research on it. They said it was a great source of oil for Bio diesel and also for conversion to ethanol. I have to find that study. Knowing them they are probably just throwing money at a problem with no cure. I can do soy. My neighbors tell me it will never grow, just like my alfalfa and giant bermuda will never grow. Ha. I'm from Tennessee and I showed them. This is cotton country here and the neighbors get a little bent out of shape by people that don't follow their ways like me.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:57 PM
1935 Ford pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRranch View Post
huh? UT and Texas tech were both doing research on it. They said it was a great source of oil for Bio diesel and also for conversion to ethanol. I have to find that study. Knowing them they are probably just throwing money at a problem with no cure. I can do soy. My neighbors tell me it will never grow, just like my alfalfa and giant bermuda will never grow. Ha. I'm from Tennessee and I showed them. This is cotton country here and the neighbors get a little bent out of shape by people that don't follow their ways like me.

I would realy like to see that study! Biodiesel requires an OIL SEED to start from. We grow alfalfa also, and I've never seen oil coming from the seed.......Canola is a much better oil seed than soy. Canola will produce much more oil than soy per acre, and it has a lower cloud point. I see your from West Texas, you should be able to grow Canola just fine. It only takes 90 days, so you could get at least two crops per year. Our oil yeald is about 200 gallons per acre. On a 100 acre piviot I can generate 20,000 gallons!
Old 02-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Posting Guru
Garage is empty, add now

That's a lot of oil. I will look into that. I don't think I have a planter that will do canola. Only have a wheat drill and a corn planter. Have to look into this more.

Also Lubbock now has a BIODIESEL pump. It went operational last week but thanks to below zero temps this week it's froze solid. Figures. They are selling soy B100. If anyone from Lubbock is reading this it's in the parking lot of the RV wash at quaker and 84. I can't wait till they get thawed out!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 10:35 AM
1935 Ford pickup

I use a wheat drill with 7" spacing. I just duct tape the holes in the bottom to get 21" row spacing. Canola grows best with 20-24" row spacing.

Lots of info on Canola in the past posts: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/se...=3247658&pp=15
Old 02-03-2011, 10:35 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels