6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Thoughts on the switch from 6.4 PS to 6.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:29 AM
nycsteve
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thoughts on the switch from 6.4 PS to 6.2

I made the switch in December from my 08 6.4 diesel to the 11 6.2 gasser for a couple of reasons. The 6.4 treated me well, hauling a 4000# plus slide in camper like it was a feather with plenty of get up ad go. Never any mechanical problems to speak of. I did the switch because, I got a great trade in #, I was tired of the diesel idiosycraties ( like additives in fuel, 200 fuel filter changes, 80 dollar oil changes, waiting 3 minutes to shut down to cool the turbos) , stepping up to a crewcab, but most importantly, I wa worried about the potential high cost repairs to what I saw as an overly complicated engine and exhaust DPF system.
So..... this morning I bring in the new 6.2 for the 10S14 recall, Body Control Module BCM. And in the Service lot is my old truck. And in line ahead ,checking in ,is the new owner of the old truck. I introduced myself and learned he was there for a extreme loss of power, when the truck shuts itself down to protect the engine. Could be anything from water in the fuel to a DPF issue. Whatever it is Im glad Im in the 6.2 now. I hope its a simple repair for the new guy , but at the same time I feel I made the right decision going to the gasser.
I have 1100 miles on it, mostly the 1K for the breakin. I did a test highway run with the camper on and it looks like I'll be getting around 10MPGs highway, which was what I hoped, bringing the cost per mile to even with the diesel.
And..... no additives, waiting to shut down , expensive maintainance. True a tradeoff in torque and HP has me moving a little slower , but I wasnt racing anyway. I'll be really using the rig in the spring, and Im thinking I'll be even happier with the switch then

Old 01-24-2011, 10:40 AM
RLBrown502
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I made the switch to the 6.2 for most of the exact same reasons you stated. I grew increasingly worried about the impending high repair costs after a few Blackstone oil analysis started pointing to some real potential problem areas. After discussing my concerns with the service manager (several times) and hearing his "damage control" speech on everything being normal, I knew it was only a matter of time before I was caught with a catastrophic failure.

Nevertheless, after putting 1200+ miles on the gasser and hauling my first load of firewood, I am totally satisfied with the power, and ride of the new gasser, and 6 speed trans. If they had this motor when I picked up my diesel in 08, I definitely would have went with the gasser.

Best of luck to you with the new ride.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:21 PM
Radioactive 4x4
Senior User
This has the makings of being a diesel anonymous thread. " Hi, my name is Earl and I've been diesel free for 2 months now"! Just kidding guys. I'm glad you like the gasser.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:21 PM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My name is Lloyd and I've been diesel free for 2 years and 9 days.....

Old 01-24-2011, 09:09 PM
Front Runner
Elder User
I made the switch from my 6.4 diesel to the 6.2 gasser back in August of last year. I havent looked back.

I have posted some posts in respect to the difference.

Here are some:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...250-6-2-a.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...eet-owner.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...6-2-owner.html

While there are some aspects of the PS turbo diesel that I miss, these new complex emissions diesels have taken the thunder out of it for me. The overall simplicity of the gas engine, cost of maintenance (to include engine replacement) is a fraction of the cost of the new diesels. Let's face it the power of the new diesel is hard to beat, but the trade off of maintenance and long term reliability isnt worth it to me. I really believe the days of 3, 4, 500,000 mile powerstrokes are gone (with the 7.3), but seeing that type of mileage from gassers 6.2, V10, etc. is very possible. Heck, a member on another forum stated that he just got rid of his V10 that had 435,000 miles on it and still running strong! It was quite discouraging to open up the hood and look at my old 6.4 and think to myself of, "how in the heck am I going to work on this thing when the warranty expires".

Old 01-25-2011, 07:28 AM
Byram
Posting Guru

Diesel free for 9.5 yrs.......

Well - except for 2 tractors... Hmmm, does that make me a "closet diesel man"

Old 01-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Front Runner
Elder User
Yep, come on out the closet.

Well, on the other hand.......... don't ask, don't tell.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RLBrown502
If they had this motor when I picked up my diesel in 08, I definitely would have went with the gasser.

Best of luck to you with the new ride.
They had the 6.8 at that time...why didn't you consider it then? It did and does have more power than the 6.2 Not a troll question, but a serious one. I just sold my 05 6.8 and am on the fence between a new 6.7 and the 6.2. My 6.8 handled our 36' fiver OK with a tuner on it, but I can't imagine towing it with something that has less power.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:03 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggziff
They had the 6.8 at that time...why didn't you consider it then? It did and does have more power than the 6.2 Not a troll question, but a serious one. I just sold my 05 6.8 and am on the fence between a new 6.7 and the 6.2. My 6.8 handled our 36' fiver OK with a tuner on it, but I can't imagine towing it with something that has less power.
A bit more torque but less in the HP area (not by much). I think a more noticeable factor would be the transmission and gearing mated to the 6.2.

My truck in the sig below would run circles around my old 2000 2v V10 (3.73's).

Old 01-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
A bit more torque but less in the HP area (not by much). I think a more noticeable factor would be the transmission and gearing mated to the 6.2.

Ditto..........

Old 01-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru

That doesn't surprise me at all. The 2V engine only had 310 HP and 425 lbs ft of torque while the 6.2 has 385 horsepower and 405 lbs feet of torque. Factor in the new tranny and true gearing and it just makes sense.

As others have said...the V10 with the new 6 speed would be a giant killer. I suspect they won't build it in a pickup as it would significantly hurt diesel sales.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:36 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
As others have said...the V10 with the new 6 speed would be a giant killer. I suspect they won't build it in a pickup as it would significantly hurt diesel sales.
That's definitely what I would be driving if the option existed.

I couldn't find a 6.2 with the 4.30's to test drive anywhere near me and I knew it's what I wanted with the 40' 5er in my near future. I wasn't expecting what was received, this thing is a rocket (to me at least). I have a new helmet cam on the way (for snowboard/motocross) that I expect will be fun with the new truck. I can't expect my videos to be as informative as Epic's but it'll be fun to get some video of the tach/speedo swingin' all over the place.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:50 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
but it'll be fun to get some video of the tach/speedo swingin' all over the place.
Probably won't get a good shot of the tach or speedo from your head snapping back with each shift.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:26 PM
RLBrown502
New User
They had the 6.8 at that time...why didn't you consider it then? It did and does have more power than the 6.2 Not a troll question, but a serious one.
Sorry for the late response. My initial preference was for the 6.8 but the dealer didn't have one on the lot, and couldn't acquire one fast enough as my patience had been depleted by my old 5.4.

I had brought my 5.4 in for service on a flat lifter (this was the second time), and at that point decided that I had enough of bad lifters, coil packs, and $1000+ spark plug changes. I simply told the dealer to keep the truck and put me in a diesel or 6.8.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:29 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
That's definitely what I would be driving if the option existed.

I couldn't find a 6.2 with the 4.30's to test drive anywhere near me and I knew it's what I wanted with the 40' 5er in my near future. I wasn't expecting what was received, this thing is a rocket (to me at least). I have a new helmet cam on the way (for snowboard/motocross) that I expect will be fun with the new truck. I can't expect my videos to be as informative as Epic's but it'll be fun to get some video of the tach/speedo swingin' all over the place.
Mike at 5Star tuning has posted some videos of his speedo/tach while he is towing his 10K fifth wheel. 17 seconds to 70 MPH and another guy posted a video with his 6.4 towing a similar trailer...22 seconds I think.

I cannot imagine towing a 40' fiver with the 6.2. Maybe it'll be great, but my tuned 05 V10 towing our 36' 11,000 pound fiver was about all I'd care to tow with that truck.

I really wish I had access to a 6.2 with a fifth wheel hitch so I could yank our camper around before I order. I have a feeling that it would make up my mind very quickly.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the switch from 6.4 PS to 6.2