New Jersey Chapter Join Chapter Leader: sddesigns

plz list jersey U PULL IT YARDS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:02 PM
oldfordisbetter
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
plz list jersey U PULL IT YARDS!!!

list yards you frequent any good fords and hard to find parts others may be interested in.

i go to DIRKES in mays landing on black horse pike.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:14 PM
dougbrown
Postmaster
I know of a U pull it in Berlin nj on Berlin crosskeys road.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:53 AM
oldfordisbetter
Senior User
thanx doug. thought this thread would help people out like steve said. guess not. feel free to close it out steve

Old 01-20-2011, 07:55 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
sometimes it takes alittle while, not everybody is on 24/7 ....lol

Old 01-20-2011, 04:05 PM
dougbrown
Postmaster
Steve your light looking dim again man, maybe a little black on the tip.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:33 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
the only you pull it i know of in jersey was on rt#537 out near McGuire AFB.
but that was around 15 years ago, and i think it is closed now.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:49 AM
oldfordisbetter
Senior User
yea i dont think its there on 537...

Old 01-21-2011, 08:06 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
There was one you took me to Tom, a year or two ago where you got a dump bed I think...

One town over from me in Rahway is T&E Motors. They're very small and don't have a lot of trucks but once in a while they do. It's hit or miss.

They generally take in police impounded cars, recycled fleets, and so on. I was there last week and they have two E-vans and one Bronco, that was it. Back in September they had 20 or so F350 crewcabs.

I go there every so often looking for a non-broken headlight **** because I'm sick of using vice grips

T&E is annoying though... they have a random pricing scheme and if you buy "just one thing" you tend to pay far more for it than if you bring a cart full of stuff to the pay booth. Also, if you call them on the phone, they will always tell you they have 20 of whatever it is you're asking for, even if they don't.

One thing that is cool, is they have racks of running engines already plucked and shelved, typically priced in the 250-400 range depending on it's weight.

The same for transmissions. Stick, auto, old a new, plenty of T-case trannies and so on. I got a big block ZF there too.

I got a running 460 out of there which I tore apart to build a 500 cid twin-turbo stroker (yet another uncompleted project of mine) and a friend of mine pulled out a massive detroit diesel and a Mack (I think) 9-sp tranny.

The trannies have easy access, but the racked engines do not. If you buy an engine, you typically have to come back about a week later to pick it up because they have so many cars stacked in front of the big engine racks and it takes them a while to dig through. It's a tiny yard, maybe four acres tops.

What I miss is Kober's, which used to be off route 31 somewhere north of Clinton, on the mountain top. Cars and trucks sorted by brand, body style, and year all the way back to the 1920's. In the late 80's a friend of mine pulled out a 6-wd amy truck out of there and rebodied it as a Chevy 3500 "K" truck, siamesing two beds together to cover the dual duals out back. It was a cool project. I did a lot of the wiring for that thing.

When I need truck parts and have the time/energy, I go to Harry's in PA. They have three yards - Allentown, Pennsburg and Hazeltown.

Harry's is *HUGE* and *CHEAP*. What got me going out there is years ago they used to run a "dollar day" once a year where you'd arrive and pay a $20 cover charge just to walk in. After that, all parts are a dollar. Yes, a dollar.

So if you buy an engine - the block is a dollar, the heads are a dollar each, the oil pan is a buck, the valve covers are a buck, the flywheel is a buck - basically the whole assembly would be $14.

The seats in my truck came from dollar day - a buck for each seat and not a single rip or tear!

All three of Harry's places are two hours from me though.... long boring ride into the woods. It's the kind of massive place you go with friends, lots of tools, and a packed lunch lol.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:24 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
that yard is not a pick your own though Fred.
we got that treatment because i have known the owner for over 30 years.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:04 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tjc transport
that yard is not a pick your own though Fred.
we got that treatment because i have known the owner for over 30 years.
Gotcha. I guess I got the same treatment because I was standing next to you, and you knew him for 30 years

Old 01-21-2011, 12:10 PM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by frederic
What I miss is Kober's, which used to be off route 31 somewhere north of Clinton, on the mountain top. Cars and trucks sorted by brand, body style, and year all the way back to the 1920's. In the late 80's a friend of mine pulled out a 6-wd amy truck out of there and rebodied it as a Chevy 3500 "K" truck, siamesing two beds together to cover the dual duals out back. It was a cool project. I did a lot of the wiring for that thing.
I remember that place if you went early morning and the sun was just coming up you could see all the windshields on top of the mountain reflecting, looked like solar panels, from I think was Rt 513 North off Rt 31.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:43 PM
oldfordisbetter
Senior User
damn got me interested...

Old 01-21-2011, 08:08 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by sddesigns
I remember that place if you went early morning and the sun was just coming up you could see all the windshields on top of the mountain reflecting, looked like solar panels, from I think was Rt 513 North off Rt 31.
sounds right!

NJ is very anti-junkyard while I'm all for a cleaner enviroment and less "car goo" leaching into my bathwater, the biggest problem with u-pull-its is the insurance. As you know, any kind of insurance in NJ is significantly higher than in other states, and not just car insurance.

My business has liability insurance - and if my business was located in PA I'd pay 11 cents more than half what I pay in NJ, over there.

That's why the u-pull-its are less common here than they used to be. That's why when I need more than just a headlight **** or a couple of connectors, I'll trek out to PA to Harry's or any of the ones I see on the way that are far smaller.

One yard in PA on the way to Pennsburg was really tiny - they had 22 vehicles. That's it, 22. Lucky for me they had a Bronco with a driver's side mirror.

Of course I've since broken that one but that's another story.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:25 AM
qbenplaya00
Posting Guru
hey guys i dont know if its there anymore... but there use to be on off rt 46/21/80.... somewhere in that area. i went one time with a buddy of mine and we spent all day walking around looking at all the cars there...

it was huge. next to a Mcdonalds i remember that bec we ate there. sad part is that we went without tools.. do we were VERY limited on what we could buy...

Old 03-01-2011, 11:18 AM
oldfordisbetter
Senior User
Hard to find one...are a few but u tell them what u need n they send someone out in the yard to look for it...them yards suck

Quick Reply: plz list jersey U PULL IT YARDS!!!