CAI on 2001 F250 SD 7.3L

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 06:01 PM
andrewjanderson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAI on 2001 F250 SD 7.3L

I was directed here from the Super Duty section:

I'm looking for some advice on the intake in my truck. We bought the 2001 F250 7.3L a few years back (it was used) with this current intake installed. The hose that is connected behind the filter, in front of the turbo, seems to be stuck where you add oil to the engine during an oil change.

Engine Bay

Hose Connection

From what I understand, that hose is supposed to go to the crankcase vent, but I don't believe that is it. Is my understanding correct? If so, could someone direct me to the right place to relocate this hose?

I appreciate the feedback.

Last edited by andrewjanderson; 01-18-2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: We purchased the truck used.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:28 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is interesting to say the least. The stock setup has a small 90 degree hose that attaches to the intake from the ccv on the drivers side valve cover. Is that plugged?

A lot of people do the CCV mod. You don't have to do a trap like in this link: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...done-pics.html

If you live some place that does smog testing you probably can't do that. The downside to the mod is you have stinky vapors and smoke coming from under the truck. You might also consider getting a stock intake and if you wanted a cold air intake go with a AIS setup.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:34 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I would love to see a picture from further back on the driver side showing the rest of your CAI. The idea behind what you have is to balance things out. The factory set up vents the crank case valve cover on the driver side up into the intake tube between the filter and the turbo. Attaching a hose to the fill tube also vents the passenger side to the same location so the engine is more evenly balanced (in theory at least). You could remove it and plug the hole if you want and the factory CCV set up is vented into the same tube, or leave it alone.

Welcome to FTE.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:43 PM
andrewjanderson
New User
Originally Posted by F350-6
I would love to see a picture from further back on the driver side showing the rest of your CAI. The idea behind what you have is to balance things out. The factory set up vents the crank case valve cover on the driver side up into the intake tube between the filter and the turbo. Attaching a hose to the fill tube also vents the passenger side to the same location so the engine is more evenly balanced (in theory at least). You could remove it and plug the hole if you want and the factory CCV set up is vented into the same tube, or leave it alone.

Welcome to FTE.
I'll get another picture from the driver's side. The main point of asking this questions is the fact that when accelerating, I feel a slight loss of power when in the upper half of a gear, and a noise that sounds like air being forced out of a hole, and when I mash it it goes away, as if pressure is pushing up on the hose that is stuck down the oil fill pipe and eventually pushes it up far enough to allow air out.

That's really what it sounds like, but it could be something completely different, its just that where the hose is stuck down the oil fill tube, there is no fitting on it or anything to create much of a seal.

I appreciate the input. Been learning a ton on these forums.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:54 PM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru

Welcome to FTE.
i was thinking the same thing.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:18 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
You could remove the hose and plug it off, then leave your oil fill cap off and drive around and it won't cause any loss of power, so that hose is not your problem unless it's not sealed and has been leaking dirt in the fitting for thousands of miles (unlikely in my opinion).

If you're low on power, the first thing to do is check for boost leaks. The big aluminum looking tubes (driver side is covered in foil) are the pipes for the intercooler. There are 6 rubber boots that need to be checked. One on each end of each pipe, then two orange ones where the piece in front of the turbo connects to the engine. There are two hose clamps on each rubber boot that you need to make sure are good and snug. You don't want to tighten them with a lot of muscle, just make sure they feel kind of tight.

Then inspect your up pipes for leaks. Up pipes are the pipes behind the motor that come off the exhaust manifold and go into a collector behind the turbo. If you see any soot stains where the pipes connect to the collector behind the turbo, you have a boost leak in the up pipes.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:30 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Originally Posted by andrewjanderson
I'll get another picture from the driver's side. The main point of asking this questions is the fact that when accelerating, I feel a slight loss of power when in the upper half of a gear, and a noise that sounds like air being forced out of a hole, and when I mash it it goes away, as if pressure is pushing up on the hose that is stuck down the oil fill pipe and eventually pushes it up far enough to allow air out.

That could be the exhaust valve operating. There is a flap on the exhaust side of the turbo that opens and closes. You can unplug the solenoid at the front of the turbo pedestal to rule that out.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:10 PM
andrewjanderson
New User
More Pictures

Here is an image from the driver's side.

Driver's Side

As you can see, the intake goes right over the top of the CCV (I now know where it is...) and I got a picture from under the intake.

CCV

That picture shows that the CCV ports in to the intake. Looking at the CCV hose, it looks like the clamp may be loose, as it was very oily when I looked at it.

That means that it looks like the modification was done in order to balance out both sides by connecting the other hose over to the oil fill tube.

I guess that I am getting pressure loss from somewhere else that is causing my power to drop when in the upper half of a gear.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:59 AM
andrewjanderson
New User

Welcome to FTE.
So it shouldn't do anything detrimental if I get a new oil cap and seal off that hose port on the intake? If you look at my post above, it shows that the CCV is still set up to vent into the intake, from underneath.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
So it shouldn't do anything detrimental if I get a new oil cap and seal off that hose port on the intake? If you look at my post above, it shows that the CCV is still set up to vent into the intake, from underneath.

close off the holes from the fill tube and the one from the CCV that goes into the intake and see what difference it makes. You are pulling oil vapors and by passing your air filters...

interesting

Old 01-19-2011, 12:00 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Do you have gauges?

If you think it's boost loss, I'd suggest removing, cleaning, and tightening the intercooler boots on your intake spider, they look like they're blowing some oil to me.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:07 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
There is also a blowoff valve in the MAP sensor line. This truck must have been chipped at one time.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:07 PM
andrewjanderson
New User
Originally Posted by clux
Do you have gauges?

If you think it's boost loss, I'd suggest removing, cleaning, and tightening the intercooler boots on your intake spider, they look like they're blowing some oil to me.
I do not have any gauges, but I can try checking the boots. Would I need to check both the intake side and the exhaust side of the Turbo for a boost loss?

Old 01-19-2011, 12:12 PM
clux
Post Fiend
I do not have any gauges, but I can try checking the boots. Would I need to check both the intake side and the exhaust side of the Turbo for a boost loss?
I'd suggest doing all the boots after the turbo. That setup is going to put a lot of oil down the intake unless there is some kind of screen/filter in the oil fill cap.

A little bit of hair spray on the boot contact surfaces after they are clean really helps too.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:43 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes. On the exhaust side between the manifolds and turbo, look for any signs of soot. That will indicate a leak.