Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Boooo!! Interstate Batteries...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 11:52 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Thumbs down Boooo!! Interstate Batteries...

Let me pre-apologize about the length of this post, but I am extremely dissatisfied with Interstate.

Well, I am VERY disappointed in Interstate Batteries today. 27 months ago I bought 3 Megatron 1000 cranking amp/850 cold cranking amp batteries from them for a hefty price, almost double what I can get a similar spec'd battery from Wal-Mart for. I put one in my wife's Expy and the others in my truck. I have been having issues with the passenger side battery for a while but I wasn't too concerned because they SUPPOSEDLY come with an 85 month pro-rated warranty with free replacement up to 36 months.

I had the guys who I bought the battery from test them and my alternator a few weeks ago and it was only the passenger side battery that was bad (and that was confirmed at the Interstate distributor today). The battery has been weak and if I let the truck sit for more than 24-26 hours ( which rarely ever happens so I wasn't too overly concerned) the truck will not start, or is very hard to start . So I was out plowing today and ended up on the side of town where the Interstate dist. was so I went by there to get my "FREE" replacement, but I was told that when you put an Interstate in a diesel application, it is considered commercial duty, so the warranty drops down to a 15 month free replacement with a 36 month pro-rate.

So, I just had to pay $100.17 for a new battery that I thought was going to be free today. When they started mentioning why, he told me that it's right at the bottom of their price list and whoever I bought them from should have told me. He showed me this little print on the bottom of a page of pricing that is FULL of little print. I told the rep, "I bought these because they are supposed to be the BEST. I could have gotten 2 Wal-Mart batteries for what I paid for one of these and I bought three of them." He said, "Well in a diesel, the under hood temps get so high, ANY battery you get is going to go bad in about 36 months." So to that I replied " My truck is a 2003 and was sold in 2002. I replaced my Motorcraft batteries with your batteries and they were almost 6 years old." He said "Any battery will only last for about 3 years in a diesel." I said " Did you hear what I just said? My Motorcraft batteries were almost 6 years old. This will be the last Interstate battery I ever buy, and I am on several Automotive forums including a Ford truck enthusiast site. I will be sure and mention it to everyone on them."

He just looked at me and was silent.

The funny thing is, I could have taken the battery out and switched it with my wife's and drove my wife's expy over and they would have replaced it for free, but I didn't want to be dishonest.

So to sum up- Don't buy Interstate batteries for your diesel, they SUCK and they don't care.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:58 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear this Jason. I guess that is a good enough reason for me to keep buying Motorcraft batteries. I changed my Motorcraft batteries for the second time this fall.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:02 PM
USAF CCM
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW! I'm surprised to hear this. Sounds like it's the place you bought them from and not Interstate. Have you called Interstate's customer service? I would. I've NEVER heard of diesels having a higher under hood temp either!

Old 01-18-2011, 12:08 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Jason.

I bought 2 new interstates and didn't get 30 months service out of them. They just would no longer hold a charge. They would charge and load test fine so they would not even pro-rate them. No more Interstates for me. Before I read how good the Costco batts are I got the best Duralasts that AutZone had. Trouble free for over three years. Until yesterday my truck hadn't been started for over a month with below freezing overnight temps the entire time and the voltage was 11.9. I didn't think it was going to start but I let the GPs heat up for 40 seconds and to my surprise it sarted right up. So as far as I'm concerned the Duralasts are good batts and the warranty is no different whether they are in a gasser or a diesel.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Ummms
Junior User
Last month when I needed batteries for my ex I almost bought the interstate ones (never tried them), now I'm glad I bought the costco batteries and they are cheaper, I think it was $160 for two with the same 850/1000 cranking amps.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:25 PM
farmdad
Posting Guru
Warranty

Found this on the Interstate website. I Googled "Interstate battery warranty".
============================================
Interstate Batteries SLI Warranty | All Battery Center Store Warranty
Interstate Batteries SLI Warranty

When a passenger car battery is used in a diesel vehicle (not including passenger automobiles and diesel pickups not used in commercial service), commercial service, truck over one ton, marine service, recreational vehicle, lawn tractor, snowmobile, etc., and is defective in material or workmanship, it will be replaced free of charge (except for taxes and legislatively imposed fees, where applicable) within six (6) months from date of original purchase. The length of the prorated warranty is one half that indicated on the battery label. Any battery used in electric powered vehicle, except golf carts, has a twelve month prorated warranty.

===============================================

Might want to copy off the info from the Interstate site and take it to the dealer. Have him explain his reasoning of why your pickup isn't "not included". At least the way I read this is our trucks aren't included in the half time reduction if they aren't used in commercial service. Good luck!

Old 01-18-2011, 12:31 PM
hucka1a
Postmaster
I've never ran interstate batts and now I have a good reason not to.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:35 PM
diesel-fitter-bum01
Posting Guru
Interstate batts are horrible. Ran them for 1 1/2 years and nothing but trouble. Switched to wal-mart brand and no issues in over six months.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:52 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to hear about that Jason. Sounds like something that decent customer service could have smoothed over.

I bought Costco batteries not only for their price, warranty, and reputable performance, but for the fact that Costco has quick turnover on their products. I purchased my batteries last June. The date of manufacture stickers were April 2010.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:37 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Customer Service for Vehicle Batteries: 888-772-3600 (toll-free)

Customer Service hours: 8:00am - 5:00pm Central Time, Monday - Friday.

I'd call with the distributor's name and raise hell. The warranty specifically states that diesel pickups aren't excluded unless they're used for commercial purposes.

I've always had great luck with Interstate batteries, the megatrons in my pickup are 6 years old.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:40 PM
fordpower88
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to hear of your trouble Jason. I myself am a Interstate dealer. I am not a big one but sell them. My rep has never told me of this and has covered the warranty on all batteries without any trouble. When I turn a battery in for warranty I have never been asked what they came out of he just takes them away. I have Interstates in all my diesels and have had one go bad but was replaced under warranty and my rep knew it came out of a diesel. To me this dealer should have worked with you a little better on this in my opinion.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:55 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had a set of Duralasts in my truck since I bought it 4 years ago. They gave up the ghost yesterday am. I went with Walmart ones because there is always a Walmart around. I had an issue with my OBS diesel I had interstate install 2 batteries and they didn t tighten down the clamps on one of the batteries and it ended up ruining the battery and my starter. I was informed that it was my fault becasue I didnt check the connections myself. I willl never buy an interstate battery again either.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
I am also an Interstate outlet at my shop and they never question what it came out of.
I've even warrented batteries for non-customers who needed a battery warrented.
No questions asked, they just come and pick them up.
I think you are dealing with a dishonest business there, Jason.
Every one of my vehicles have Interstates in them, including the 5th wheel which has dual 6v in series.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:17 PM
kdv
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The guy you bought the battrey from should have swapped it out when they tested it and it showed bad. That would have saved a lot of headaches.

The distirbutor may have felt your a commercial duty truck due to the plow hanging on the truck.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:19 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by clux
Customer Service for Vehicle Batteries: 888-772-3600 (toll-free)

Customer Service hours: 8:00am - 5:00pm Central Time, Monday - Friday.

I'd call with the distributor's name and raise hell. The warranty specifically states that diesel pickups aren't excluded unless they're used for commercial purposes.

I've always had great luck with Interstate batteries, the megatrons in my pickup are 6 years old.
For once I agree with Clux!! LOL Either call or send an email. Be polite and persistant. You probably wont get your money back but they might give you a discount on your next purchase.

What do you have to loose?

Quick Reply: Boooo!! Interstate Batteries...