Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > EcoBoost (3.5L, 2.0L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


EcoBoost (3.5L, 2.0L) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6 and 2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-17-2011, 08:21 PM
diver110 diver110 is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 67
diver110 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Maintenance on an Ecoboost question

Years ago I owned a Saab turbo, and it was more of a hassle to maintain. Luckily my mechanic was also a friend, so the cost did not get out of hand. It is now the better part of 30 years later. What additional maintenance costs can one expect from the Ecoboost?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Scorpion67 Scorpion67 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 369
Scorpion67 is starting off with a positive reputation.
well for one thing, I believe the EB V6 will require 1 quart of oil less than the 5.4, 2 quarts less than the new 5.0. So there's a saving.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-17-2011, 09:13 PM
GuyGene's Avatar
GuyGene GuyGene is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Clay Country, GA, NE MS
Posts: 409
GuyGene is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
What I want to know is how easy are oil filter, plugs (not COP I hope!!), fuel filter, air filter, etc. to change. The things I like to do myself. Not to mention, how will the ball joints, electric windows, etc., things like that hold up? I get tired of these two steps forward, three steps backwards in all this so-called advances in trucks.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-17-2011, 09:44 PM
joiseystud joiseystud is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 91
joiseystud is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyGene View Post
What I want to know is how easy are oil filter, plugs (not COP I hope!!), fuel filter, air filter, etc. to change. The things I like to do myself. Not to mention, how will the ball joints, electric windows, etc., things like that hold up? I get tired of these two steps forward, three steps backwards in all this so-called advances in trucks.
I cant imagine the ECOboost would have any effect on the reliability of the ball joints, windows, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Hobo Hobo is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Black Hills, South Dakota
Posts: 233
Hobo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
How would the motor affect reliability of power windows? As for ball joints, well the EcoBoost most likely weighs a bit less than a V8.... so if anything front suspension components should be more reliable with the lighter engine up front.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-18-2011, 07:56 AM
skywagon skywagon is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Big Canoe GA
Posts: 264
skywagon is starting off with a positive reputation.

Maintenance with the eco boost is a BIG problem. 5K worth of dental bills to make your teeth look good for the big azz smile when you put the pedel to the metal lol!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-18-2011, 08:24 AM
EdCaffreyMS's Avatar
EdCaffreyMS EdCaffreyMS is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Great Falls, MT. USA
Posts: 131
EdCaffreyMS is starting off with a positive reputation.
After all the research I have done (been studying on the EB since it became public), I believe the only people who are going to have major maintenance costs/issue are those who try to do extensive "modding" to the engine.

I'm all for making a truck your own, but the EB is very likely the most technically controlled engine that Ford has produced to date. If you start changing parts, and neglect or fail to reprogram the PCM, there are going to be problems.
I've already seen a number of posts on various forums about how somebody changed plugs, exhaust, or some other component, on their 2010 and their truck "won't run." DUHH!!!

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not an expert when it comes to computer control on vehicles....the truck I'm about to order will be my first brand new vehicle in my 47 years. I have done enough homework to realize the the 2011 trucks have more electronic sensors on them than bolts/nuts....and all those sensors lead to a central processor....if a senor sends the wrong input (such as would happen if a specific type of plug isn't used), or no input (you pulled a sensor while "modding" something) at best your going to get a "check engine" warning.....and at worst you'll have a truck that won't start/run.

I think that if a person takes care of an EB equipped truck, with routine maintenance, and doesn't try to modify the snot outta it, it's going to be a very reliable rig. IF a person is someone who drives the crap out of a vehicle, and only pays attention to it when a "trouble" light appears, then your gona get what you deserve....problems.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-18-2011, 08:45 AM
diver110 diver110 is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 67
diver110 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCaffreyMS View Post
After all the research I have done (been studying on the EB since it became public), I believe the only people who are going to have major maintenance costs/issue are those who try to do extensive "modding" to the engine.

I'm all for making a truck your own, but the EB is very likely the most technically controlled engine that Ford has produced to date. If you start changing parts, and neglect or fail to reprogram the

PCM, there are going to be problems.
I've already seen a number of posts on various forums about how somebody changed plugs, exhaust, or some other component, on their 2010 and their truck "won't run." DUHH!!!

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not an expert when it comes to computer control on vehicles....the truck I'm about to order will be my first brand new vehicle in my 47 years. I have done enough homework to realize the the 2011 trucks have more electronic sensors on them than bolts/nuts....and all those sensors lead to a central processor....if a senor sends the wrong input (such as would happen if a specific type of plug isn't used), or no input (you pulled a sensor while "modding" something) at best your going to get a "check engine" warning.....and at worst you'll have a truck that won't start/run.

I think that if a person takes care of an EB equipped truck, with routine maintenance, and doesn't try to modify the snot outta it, it's going to be a very reliable rig. IF a person is someone who drives the crap out of a vehicle, and only pays attention to it when a "trouble" light appears, then your gona get what you deserve....problems.

Thanks for the feedback, Ed. Would your views change if the EB were used for moderate offroading? Also, are there any sites you know of that address this topic?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-18-2011, 09:16 AM
EdCaffreyMS's Avatar
EdCaffreyMS EdCaffreyMS is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Great Falls, MT. USA
Posts: 131
EdCaffreyMS is starting off with a positive reputation.
It all depends on what "moderate offroading" means.....I live in Montana, and we have more gravel/dirt roads than paved....and as a matter of course, especially during the summer months and hunting season, we do about as much "offroading" as on, simply because there are no roads leading to where we want to go/be.

If your talking about taking a new rig out and "thrashing" it just for the fun of it, I would expect more issues than say my 87 Toyota truck....simply because of the complexity of a new truck.....to me that just mean if your going to do something like that, your going to have to pay more attention to maintaining your truck. As with most things, if you neglect it, expect issues. If you take the time and effort to maintain in proportion to how you use it, then I think issue will be minimal.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-18-2011, 09:25 AM
GuyGene's Avatar
GuyGene GuyGene is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Clay Country, GA, NE MS
Posts: 409
GuyGene is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Right, joisey, I guess this post is only about the engine, but I was just thinking about some of the other things that they sometimes miss on new models. Anyway, from what I have read, it seems Ford has done some great testing on this new engine...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-18-2011, 09:27 AM
diver110 diver110 is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 67
diver110 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCaffreyMS View Post
It all depends on what "moderate offroading" means.....I live in Montana, and we have more gravel/dirt roads than paved....and as a matter of course, especially during the summer months and hunting season, we do about as much "offroading" as on, simply because there are no roads leading to where we want to go/be.

If your talking about taking a new rig out and "thrashing" it just for the fun of it, I would expect more issues than say my 87 Toyota truck....simply because of the complexity of a new truck.....to me that just mean if your going to do something like that, your going to have to pay more attention to maintaining your truck. As with most things, if you neglect it, expect issues. If you take the time and effort to maintain in proportion to how you use it, then I think issue will be minimal.

I truly meant moderate, no thrashing, but maybe trails with lots of rocks, maybe angled 10 degrees, occasionally driving through a shallow stream. My real question is whether the gas savings will be offset by extra maintenance costs.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-18-2011, 07:54 PM
EdCaffreyMS's Avatar
EdCaffreyMS EdCaffreyMS is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Great Falls, MT. USA
Posts: 131
EdCaffreyMS is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for clarifying! If your comparing the EB to say the 5.0, I think the POTENTIAL for higher maintenance costs is there....ONLY because with the EB you're dealing with higher cost components like the direct injection, high pressure fuel delivery system, and the turbo chargers. If any of those components were to require replacing, I would anticipate more expense in replacing them, simply because they are not present on the other engines available in the F150.
That dosen't mean that the maintenance costs WILL be higher, only that the potential is there. My personal belief is that the EB will as reliable as the 5.0, or any of the other engines Ford is offering in the F150, and will require no more in maintenance costs than any of the other engine choices.
I just got home from the dealership, where I placed my order for a new truck with the EB engine...but I will also be purchasing the top end warranty for the truck too....that way if my instincts are proven wrong, I will have the warranty to fall back on.
My decision to go with the EB was based on several months of research, the MPGs, and the fact that for those MPGs, I'll be getting an awesome amount of HP and torque. Others may scoff, but I think if driven conservatively, the truck will be capable of better than the advertised MPGs....especially with a tuner and custom tunes (once the warranty expires).
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-18-2011, 08:02 PM
diver110 diver110 is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 67
diver110 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the feedback, Ed. I am thinking of going the same way, including the warranty. I anticipate fuel prices doubling in the next 5 years or so. Once the economy kicks in gear, it will quickly go back to 4 then slowly edge up to 6 is my guess, so saving some mpg could really pay off.

Were you able to buy yours for close to invoice? I am a little torn on when to place the order. When I wend to a nearby dealer yesterday, they said they would sell it for a "few hundred dollars" over invoice. Don't know whether to order now or hold off for a month or 2 and maybe get a better deal. Then again, in absolute terms the savings probably won't be huge if I wait, and my trade will be worth less....
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-19-2011, 05:55 AM
tseekins's Avatar
tseekins tseekins is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hampton, Virginia
Posts: 19,262
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Ford has proven through it's videos and tear down that the engine will seemlessly perform from Baja to Florida in a standard F-150, a raptor and a purpose built Baja truck. The same engine was used in all three.

So far as we know right now the engine requires 5w-30 motor oil VS 5w-20 oil due to the turbos needing a heavier oil.

As for the rest of the truck concerning power windows and such. I think Ford needs to use better quality window regulators, blend door actuators and simply stuff like this that can run up your costs.
__________________
Tim
SCPO United States Coast Guard Retired
2011 F-150 XLT 4x4 Ecoboost
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-19-2011, 10:00 AM
johndeerefarmer johndeerefarmer is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 593
johndeerefarmer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCaffreyMS View Post
Thanks for clarifying! If your comparing the EB to say the 5.0, I think the POTENTIAL for higher maintenance costs is there....ONLY because with the EB you're dealing with higher cost components like the direct injection, high pressure fuel delivery system, and the turbo chargers. If any of those components were to require replacing, I would anticipate more expense in replacing them, simply because they are not present on the other engines available in the F150.
That dosen't mean that the maintenance costs WILL be higher, only that the potential is there. My personal belief is that the EB will as reliable as the 5.0, or any of the other engines Ford is offering in the F150, and will require no more in maintenance costs than any of the other engine choices.
I just got home from the dealership, where I placed my order for a new truck with the EB engine...but I will also be purchasing the top end warranty for the truck too....that way if my instincts are proven wrong, I will have the warranty to fall back on.
My decision to go with the EB was based on several months of research, the MPGs, and the fact that for those MPGs, I'll be getting an awesome amount of HP and torque. Others may scoff, but I think if driven conservatively, the truck will be capable of better than the advertised MPGs....especially with a tuner and custom tunes (once the warranty expires).

In your post several comments up you talk about not modifiying it and now you are talking about putting a programmer on it. If you are worried about the engine enough to buy an extended warranty, then I dang sure wouldn't be modding it
__________________
2015 F-350 SCREW 4x4 Lariat with 6.7 PSD & Off Road Package, Ruby Red Metallic, 3.55 with E-locker, 20" wheels and tires, chrome packeage, B&W gooseneck hitch, Weathertech mats, Line X bedliner
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:00 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > EcoBoost (3.5L, 2.0L)

Tags
boost, cost, costs, eco, ecoboost, extra, f150, ford, hold, lubricated, maintenance, oil, quarts, required, towing, turbos, v6

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup