Magnesol?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Your not THAT old......lol You've sent me pics before, so send me some pics of your setup and I'll post them in the thread. I have the "power"now that I'm a Mod.............
The pics I sent you were in your email. I never posted any pics. I wish I knew how to put the little arrows on the pic to show what each item was. These young guys tune up a computer like us older guys tuned up or "flat heads" in that 35 Ford you have. You going to put a small block Chevy in it? Sorry

Old 01-24-2011, 08:02 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom D
When you post that you are running the BD through a sock filter and capturing the Magnesol in it, it leads me to believe that you are pumping Magnesol through the diaphram pump. If so, I suspect you are wearing out the diaphrams with the powder. As I posted, I let all my Magnesol settle so I am only pumping almost pure BD. I get VERY LITTLE Magnesol in my sock filter.
I got my pump from Duda Diesel about 1 year ago. Still pumps great. Contact them and request a rebuild kit which includes new diaphrams.
Tom

Tom is dead right. You DO NOT pump your bio with the Magnesol in it!

What happens: As the Magnesol attracts the "bad stuff" the molecules of Magnesol expand, and when they go through the pump impeller they will SHEAR. Making smaller and smaller pieces that are a b***h to remove.

The pics I sent you were in your email. I never posted any pics. I wish I knew how to put the little arrows on the pic to show what each item was. These young guys tune up a computer like us older guys tuned up or "flat heads" in that 35 Ford you have. You going to put a small block Chevy in it? Sorry
What I ment was.....If you email me pics of your setup I can post them here.............

SMALL BLOCK CHEV...........I can't even bring myself to type it.........

No, I'ts getting a 59AB flathead, with lots of chrome............

Old 01-25-2011, 07:01 AM
ttttmaxx
Senior User
As I mentioned earlier, Im a very simple setup but was wondering once magnesol settles out to the bottom of my cone tank can it be "drained" out by just opening my valve? Or does it cake up and has a no flow capacity. All I had in mind doing was after 24 hours just draining the magnesol (I assume it flows very slow but still flows) as best I could and then sock filter the remaining remnants. Is this feasible? Thanks gents......Maxx

Old 01-25-2011, 03:38 PM
ttttmaxx
Senior User
Dry washing has me curious. For you guys that have been doing it a while, are there other media use can use in "stir" fashion? Purolite, Thermax,Amberlite etc. Can these be mixed into the biodiesel like magnesol without having to get a tower? These look extremely expensive compared to magnesol but maybe you would not use as much per batch as say magnesol? Just throwing stuff out there trying to gain knowledge. I found online where somebody was doing this and liked it because it could filter out of the fuel much easier than magnesol? Is this possible or do you absolutely need a tower. thanks Maxx

Old 01-25-2011, 06:50 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Tom is dead right. You DO NOT pump your bio with the Magnesol in it!

What happens: As the Magnesol attracts the "bad stuff" the molecules of Magnesol expand, and when they go through the pump impeller they will SHEAR. Making smaller and smaller pieces that are a b***h to remove.

What I ment was.....If you email me pics of your setup I can post them here.............

SMALL BLOCK CHEV...........I can't even bring myself to type it.........

No, I'ts getting a 59AB flathead, with lots of chrome............
Great there are still some purists amongst us. There aren't many around with flatheads in them. God..If I had a dime for every one of those I tore down. Unfortunately, That was long ago and I have forgotten most of it.
Yeah Yeah, I know Forum members. Don and I are off subject. But you have to understand. We are a couple of old farts just reminising (sp).
Anyway Don, I will send you pics with hand written arrows on them because I don't know how to do it digitally.
Take care
Tom

Old 01-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Originally Posted by ttttmaxx
As I mentioned earlier, Im a very simple setup but was wondering once magnesol settles out to the bottom of my cone tank can it be "drained" out by just opening my valve? Or does it cake up and has a no flow capacity. All I had in mind doing was after 24 hours just draining the magnesol (I assume it flows very slow but still flows) as best I could and then sock filter the remaining remnants. Is this feasible? Thanks gents......Maxx
When you attempt to drain your Magnesol,it will initially drain creating a hole that will allow more BD than magnesol to drain. I still think you should pull the BD off the top with a dip tube. Then when you have captured as much as possible without hitting the magnesol, you can open the drain valve partially and push the magnesol toward the opening with a mixing paddle or something similar. As Fabman stated, the magnesol is expanded and is similar to thick pancake mix. Hope this makes sense to you.
Tom

Old 01-26-2011, 06:48 AM
ttttmaxx
Senior User
Makes perfect sense. Thanks. Being I have a 35 gallon cone bottom tank not sure of the best way to "suck" to BD out? You mentioned to use a dip tube. Forgive my ignorance but how does that work with a cone tank? I guess I could always drill a hole in the tank about 1" or 2" above the bottom where the magnesol would collect and use that as my drain, sort of like a standpipe effect. Kinda hate to put holes in my tank though in case I dont like dry washing. Thanks Maxx

Old 01-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Either that or put the standpipe up from the bottom?

Old 01-26-2011, 05:28 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just suck it out from the top...................

Old 01-27-2011, 06:47 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Think my pump problem was the bio was near the gell point. Worked great yeaterday (temp was in the upper 40's) Last Fall when the pump slowed down, per Dudadiesel I ran hot soapy water through it and that removed some junk that had built up in there...

Old 01-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Originally Posted by ttttmaxx
Makes perfect sense. Thanks. Being I have a 35 gallon cone bottom tank not sure of the best way to "suck" to BD out? You mentioned to use a dip tube. Forgive my ignorance but how does that work with a cone tank? I guess I could always drill a hole in the tank about 1" or 2" above the bottom where the magnesol would collect and use that as my drain, sort of like a standpipe effect. Kinda hate to put holes in my tank though in case I dont like dry washing. Thanks Maxx
My "dip tube" enters from the top and is adjustable. I slide the pipe down into the fuel about 5 inches to start pumping. As the end of the pipe gets closer to the surface, I slide the pipe down a bit further always careful not to let the tube get too close to the magnesol. The end of the pipe has a "p-trap" (shaped like a J) arrangement so the pump skims the surface rather than pulling straight up. I adjust the pipe with a pair of vice grips. I am careful not to disturb the magnesol. When I get about an inch above the magnesol, I stop. With this procedure, I do not get any magnesol. I DO filter just in case. After removing as much fuel as possible, you can then remove the magnesol by draining and flushing with water if you choose. I leave my old magnesol in the container and add to it for about 5 batches before I drain. As far as not liking magnesol, I vote with Fabman. You will never go back to the water wash system. Hope this helps.
Tom

Old 01-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

My "dip tube" enters from the top and is adjustable. I slide the pipe down into the fuel about 5 inches to start pumping. As the end of the pipe gets closer to the surface, I slide the pipe down a bit further always careful not to let the tube get too close to the magnesol. The end of the pipe has a "p-trap" (shaped like a J) arrangement so the pump skims the surface rather than pulling straight up. I adjust the pipe with a pair of vice grips. I am careful not to disturb the magnesol. When I get about an inch above the magnesol, I stop. With this procedure, I do not get any magnesol. I DO filter just in case. After removing as much fuel as possible, you can then remove the magnesol by draining and flushing with water if you choose. I leave my old magnesol in the container and add to it for about 5 batches before I drain. As far as not liking magnesol, I vote with Fabman. You will never go back to the water wash system. Hope this helps.
Tom
I like the p-trap idea, think I will do this too. Have pull up Magnesol from getting too close before. Pain in the buns when it slows down the pump and plugs the filters...

This is the most posts we've had in this forum in quite awhile, cool...

Old 01-28-2011, 07:15 AM
ttttmaxx
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rushmore X
I like the p-trap idea, think I will do this too. Have pull up Magnesol from getting too close before. Pain in the buns when it slows down the pump and plugs the filters...

This is the most posts we've had in this forum in quite awhile, cool...
Very Cool. Any of you guys wash B50 with magnesol? I run B50, always have and always will so I was thinking of drainin gly. adding 50% dino and then washing with magnesol. This way I would be completely finished when sucking off the top, instead of having tranfers to another container and then add Dino. Would that mean I would have to add twice the magnesol?? Just talking out loud here, dont know if this would work or not. Just like to know options and peoples diretc experiences. Thanks

Old 03-10-2011, 12:49 AM
frdf250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
want to bring this thread back for a minute---

with the water wash you are removing the excess methanol and catalyst and water...

does the Magnesol do all of that too?

Old 03-10-2011, 06:45 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Magnesol absorbs these. Without it I had problems with water building up in the fuel bowl and having to drain it frequently. Since going to Magnesol don't have that problem. Fabman once said that we want to remove water from the bio, so why would we add water to wash it? Made sense to me...

Quick Reply: Magnesol?