6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

First time Diesel Owner with F450 and some quetions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:42 AM
ETKMS
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also, I wanted to mention, ever since I drained the water from the separator, i keep getting a "drain water separator light on" i drained it again, got nothing but fuel, light kept coming on. I brought the truck to the dealer, and do you guys remember the loud whistle i had? well, they said it may be an exhaust leak and may require the cab to come off! I will know tomorrow what they say for sure.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:21 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
sounds like you may need the sensor replaced for the fuel/water separator. Also that exhaust down pipe is maybe to blame.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:11 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
Originally Posted by senix
sounds like you may need the sensor replaced for the fuel/water separator. Also that exhaust down pipe is maybe to blame.
Dealer just called, they think the noise MIGHT be a turbo? so he is going to take it off, and take it apart and inspect it and get back to me tomorrow..... I am having doubts its really the turbo... but I guess we will see..

They did not even get to the water separator issue, I told them right off the bat bringing it in, that since there was so much slime and gunk, just replace the sensor and clean out the separator good....

They are also going to reflah the ECU to the new version.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:06 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
Ok, the dealer called me earlier today. I am not sure what he meant yesterday as they were taking the turbo off and inspecting it. It turns out he tried inspecting something, and him and the shop foreman determined the turbo assembly needs to be replaced? My service advisor didn't know much, I said what do you mean assembly? and he said they are going to replace both turbo's and need to take the cab off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am very upset the cab needs to come off! I just installed so many things, even my backup camera which is wired like crazy from A pillar, to the front fuse box, then to the rear of the truck!!!!

Old 01-31-2011, 09:06 AM
MD05
Senior User
Why is the cab coming off??

Turbo is on the top of the engine and can be access with the cab on.

I hope your warentee is takign the hit and nto your wallet.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:56 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
Originally Posted by MD05
Why is the cab coming off??

Turbo is on the top of the engine and can be access with the cab on.

I hope your warentee is takign the hit and nto your wallet.

I have a warranty, I am not paying. But you do not need to take the cab off to replace both turbos? and what is the turbo assembly they mentioned?

Old 01-31-2011, 10:06 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
Ok, I went to the dealer today, drove to the back and saw my truck with the cab off! wow! what a sight! Anyway, I figured I would just talk to the tech directly to avoid any confusion. he is replacing both turbos, and he also said most of the whistle noise i heard was an exhaust leake he found, from the up pipe, and he showed me a lot of black smoke residue on the down pipe, and also on the cab heat sheilds. I think he also pointed out some gasket on top of the engine that the turbo connects to he was replacing too. He has all this work to do, yet somehow, he said if all the parts are in by the morning he can have it done by the end of the day!? I doubt that!

Old 02-02-2011, 02:48 AM
ETKMS
Elder User
hey senix, where are you? I was hoping for some input on if you think what they are doing should fix my issues?

Old 02-02-2011, 03:30 AM
ETKMS
Elder User
btw, here is a picture of my truck in its current state.... pretty scary!

Old 02-02-2011, 04:53 AM
Ggup2
New User
I gues when a person installs extra electronics you want to put in quick disconnects between the cab and the chassis if that is where they run. Save a lot of time IF this happens and probably like a computer....Not IF but WHEN it happens.

Has been a good thread. I also have the 08 4x4 6.4 and 4.88 rear. Love the unit and get about 12 mpg driving 65 and at 70 11.8. That is empty. Have not pulled with it yet. Also took the DFP/CAT off yesterday. Really sounds different. Will chip it this week. Have a 14,000 # 5er that I will be pulling with it.

Bought the SCT Livewire PCM Flash tool Hope to see some mileage increase.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:10 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by ETKMS
hey senix, where are you? I was hoping for some input on if you think what they are doing should fix my issues?
The exhaust leak at the pipes has happened to a few people. Cab off is the procedure. Don't think the turbo's were leaking myself. But I am not there either. Pulling them and replacing the gasket certainly wont hurt anything.

He can get this done quickly with the cab off. I think Cheezit said at one time it was only a couple hour job. So 4 hours total for the cab and about an 1.5 hours for the turbo and exhaust and you are done.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:32 AM
MD05
Senior User
Turbo Down pipe gasket needed to be replaced on my 450. The dealer said it was a 1.5 hour job and would be accomplished with the cab on as per the ford maintenance inst.

Since the cab did not need to come off I bought the parts and replaced the gasket took me 2.0 hours to do. PS not convered under warrentee.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:56 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
Originally Posted by senix
The exhaust leak at the pipes has happened to a few people. Cab off is the procedure. Don't think the turbo's were leaking myself. But I am not there either. Pulling them and replacing the gasket certainly wont hurt anything.

He can get this done quickly with the cab off. I think Cheezit said at one time it was only a couple hour job. So 4 hours total for the cab and about an 1.5 hours for the turbo and exhaust and you are done.
Thank you. I called my dealer, they said they are putting the cab back on now... And it should hopefully be done in the morning. I am just worried everything is put back together ok! and was done right. I seem to always have an issue when something is worked on my cars, they forget to put something in right, and I pull out of the dealer and get a check engine light or something and need to turn back, or usually shortly after something else brakes due to maybe hitting or damaging something when fixing the original issue.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:59 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ggup2
I gues when a person installs extra electronics you want to put in quick disconnects between the cab and the chassis if that is where they run. Save a lot of time IF this happens and probably like a computer....Not IF but WHEN it happens.

Has been a good thread. I also have the 08 4x4 6.4 and 4.88 rear. Love the unit and get about 12 mpg driving 65 and at 70 11.8. That is empty. Have not pulled with it yet. Also took the DFP/CAT off yesterday. Really sounds different. Will chip it this week. Have a 14,000 # 5er that I will be pulling with it.

Bought the SCT Livewire PCM Flash tool Hope to see some mileage increase.
You are right about quick connects! one week before I took the truck in, I hardwired my radar detector to the underhood fuse box, then I also installed a rear view camera with a back up camera and temp sensor in it since my XLT did not have that. So I have wires going from my rear view mirror, in the a pillar, to the front under hood fuse box, then to the rear of the truck for the back up camera, then one to the front of the bumper to rear the outside temp!!! when i saw my truck, all my installed wires were just CUT! I am sure when I get it back i will need to re do a lot of the wirning which took forever!!!!!!!

Old 02-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by ETKMS
when i saw my truck, all my installed wires were just CUT! I am sure when I get it back i will need to re do a lot of the wirning which took forever!!!!!!!
I'd talk with the dealer about that, it's not your fault that the cab had to come off. Maybe they can fix everything for you when they put the cab back on...

Quick Reply: First time Diesel Owner with F450 and some quetions