6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

First time Diesel Owner with F450 and some quetions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 10:56 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bounds-Electric
You should get a good flow of fuel! You or your dealer are going to have take the drain apart & clean out.
How can it be dirty or clogged? isn't it just fuel or water? i dont understand how it can be blocked... Then again i am not sure how the thing works anyway.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:55 AM
ETKMS
Elder User
Wait, I was just about to go to sleep and thought of something. How level does the truck need to be to have fuel drain out? Like i mentioned earlier checking my oil, my driveway is a on a slight incline, with a bit of a nose up angle to it. Can it be the angle? or does that not matter at all and it should have drained out anyway?

Old 01-17-2011, 03:05 AM
Larry NCKS
Elder User
should have drained anyway. If there ain't fuel above that drain at all times, you're in deep doo doo . . . and your truck isn't going to run.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:10 AM
ETKMS
Elder User
Originally Posted by Larry NCKS
should have drained anyway. If there ain't fuel above that drain at all times, you're in deep doo doo . . . and your truck isn't going to run.
My next thing i was going to say was, I did not start the truck all day before i opened it up. But now i guess according to your post that does not make a difference. I am wondering what and be blocking it for nothing to come out? seems really strange..

Old 01-17-2011, 05:53 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by ETKMS
Really? Yours also reads over the MAX word?

Also, a few weeks ago I tried draining the water separator. Got nothing but a drip drip. Closed it and said guess nothing is ready to come out? But after searching. I see people said to have the gas cap open, and then poke in the drain valve with a wire hanger. I did it today, gap cap open, nothing came out, so i used a wire hanger, stick it, in (does not go in to far). Still nothing came out. I got maybe 1 or 2 drops.. I did have my fuel filters replaced, but that was about 4 or 5k miles ago now. I did not get the water in fuel light on, but should i be getting anything coming out? I was assuming fuel would at least pour out.
Each motor will read a little differently on the stick. My opinion.

As for the fuel/water separator a steady stream cap on or off. I leave mine on.

You will have to either pull the filter and look inside for debris or take the cover off and clean it.

I am attaching a pic of it. You can see the bolts to remove the cover.

also..see the article:
Diesel Technician Society

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
fuel water separator.pdf (97.5 KB, 157 views)
Old 01-17-2011, 06:25 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
I wonder if there is anyway that you could've come across an F450 with the 'Ambulance Package'? The reason I ask this is that our newest Fords(2 F450s and 1 F550) with the 6.4s still regen in park. My F450 has had many flashes due to the PCM being replaced twice and a TCM being replaced. As a matter of fact it was just reflashed two weeks ago after a 'shut down' when the tech could not get the codes to clear. Ended up being 2 problems (1 EGT sensor and 1 fan clutch malfunction). After all I have read on these forums, I thought that a reflash would've stopped the units form doing a regen in park, but they still do. Just a thought.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:44 AM
Larry NCKS
Elder User
Originally Posted by golfmedik
After all I have read on these forums, I thought that a reflash would've stopped the units form doing a regen in park, but they still do. Just a thought.
I don't know about ambulances. It stands to reason that they may be allowed to regen in park. given their usage. However, my F-350 does not regen unless it's in drive.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:36 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
I wonder if there are different flashes for vehicles that have the 'Ambulance Package'? That is what I meant by my other post. When the computer is hooked to the OBD port and it reads the VIN, does it realize that it is a special use vehicle? I will have to ask my tech and see if he knows. Like I said, the ambulance and rescues still regen in park, but my F350 doesn't. Wondering if there are different parameters that are loaded to different vehicles due to the VIN?

Old 01-17-2011, 02:42 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
Originally Posted by senix
Each motor will read a little differently on the stick. My opinion.

As for the fuel/water separator a steady stream cap on or off. I leave mine on.

You will have to either pull the filter and look inside for debris or take the cover off and clean it.

I am attaching a pic of it. You can see the bolts to remove the cover.

also..see the article:
Diesel Technician Society

Thanks, I actually saw you post that same thing in another thread. I am going to try to find level ground and try draining it. if noting comes out, then i will take off the cover. All i do is take off those 5 torx looking screws? thats it? I wont be covered in fuel will i?

Old 01-17-2011, 02:46 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
some but not too much fuel.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:49 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
Originally Posted by senix
some but not too much fuel.
Thanks for your help! I will let you know what happens. Its been pouring outside all day, so when this rain stops, I will get underneath it.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Bruce P
Junior User
Loud ring or whine

I to have this loud ringing whine in my truck when I get it up to 1800- 2000 rpm and I noticed the comment on the Fuel Cooling pump in your post- Did not know about this pump and it seems the dealer does not either.
How doe it get air in the system and still work. Does anyone know

Here is my post
I recently purchased a 2008 F250 super-duty with the 6.4 L PS diesel with 59,000 km on the truck, The turbo and exhaust sounded funny about a week after purchased the truck with a ringing whine in the turbo I think and/or exhaust (Intermittent). I had purchased the premium extended warrant (phew!) and the dealer said it needed two new turbos. So they changed them both ( plus ceased front brake calibers) plus a few other items $$$ still
I still have the ringing whine in the exhaust which as a very high pitched ring whine that resonates in the exahust at about 1800 RPM and is VERY loud but intermitte, The dealer heard the sound once or twice and it's loud it but does not know what it is or how to fix it and said just drive it until it get much more frequent until they can figure out where it is coming from
Has anyone else had this problem??
ERG valve -waste gate shutter- I have no idea??

If it is the Fuel cooling pump please let me know and my truck is due in the shop in a week for another issue and I will ask them to check this pump. If it is I will let you know.

Bruce

Old 01-18-2011, 03:55 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Have you noticed that it only does it at a certain temp?

Old 01-18-2011, 07:20 AM
Bruce P
Junior User
F250 Noise

Sorry for the delyed response
Originally the noise only occurred when the truck was up to full operating temp and I took it in to the dealer. As mentioned the dealer changed both turbos under warranty and I got it back and the same thing, but this time it was occurred a few times right from the get go. I took it back to the dealer as mentioned they said drive it until it get more frequent and they can find out where it is. Go out of the dealer parking lot, drove to the curb and hit the throttle and wow what a whining/ringing noise. Only did it twice on the way home about 30 miles.
????

Bruce

Old 01-18-2011, 10:26 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whoa.......whoa......hang on

Originally Posted by ETKMS
I never had smoke come out of my exhaust besides once on the highway... I had just got on the highway ramp, and i look out my rearview and i see like a blackish smoke coming from the exhaust, pretty consistant, and blowing very hard. It did it for about 25 seconds, then i heard it start to regen, and all the smoke stopped right away, and i never seen it again.
Back up a second.......

Lets get some better details on this......

Quick Reply: First time Diesel Owner with F450 and some quetions